In one of the more recent threads on collars and tags, some folks mentioned that they use more than one collar. I was curious - any reason for this? Is one just for tags and the other for training or is it a safety concern? I grew up with whippets and they often went naked when indoors, but their tags were on their martingale collar. My current dog has a martingale with tags that she wears all the time. If it's a safety thing, I might end up getting a second collar, LOL!!

Beware of dog? Forget the dog - BEWARE OF CAT! No wait. The budgie is a killer, too.

35618219502_5f27c04249_s.jpgAaerro by Vampiric Conure, on Flickr

Rainbow Bridge - Aaerro march 2018

We don't leave the martingales in the house as it could get caught and choke the dog. So we have a tag collar. And when we go outside, we have the martingale or an harness, so we never have to worry about changing the tags as they always wear their tag collars 24/7

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

We don't leave the martingales in the house as it could get caught and choke the dog. So we have a tag collar. And when we go outside, we have the martingale or an harness, so we never have to worry about changing the tags as they always wear their tag collars 24/7

That sounds like an excellent plan! I think I might try that for my brat :D

Beware of dog? Forget the dog - BEWARE OF CAT! No wait. The budgie is a killer, too.

Pretty much every dog in my town picked up or turned in to animal control is NOT wearing tags.

If your dog ALWAYS has a collar and tags on, if it gets out, there is a very good chance it will be returned to you in minutes, not hours or days, because your neighbor can call YOU and not animal control or the police.

My very brief (3 weeks) career as animal control officer--not a single dog we were called out to get had tags on. Oh. One had a tag on. It said the dog's name. Nothing else. How completely useless is that???

I picked up one dog--obviously a very expensive show-type Golden. He was not neutered. Not microchipped. And didn't have on a collar at all. When the owners came, I said, "This looks like a very expensive dog, right?" and they said yes, yes he was. I said, "Do yourselves a favor. Get him microchipped, because he could be stolen. Put a collar with tags on him ALL THE TIME." They looked so confused. Then I handed them the "ticket" for having to go pick up the dog and for "boarding" it for 30 minutes for $45. They looked less baffled after that!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Pretty much every dog in my town picked up or turned in to animal control is NOT wearing tags.

If your dog ALWAYS has a collar and tags on, if it gets out, there is a very good chance it will be returned to you in minutes, not hours or days, because your neighbor can call YOU and not animal control or the police.

My very brief (3 weeks) career as animal control officer--not a single dog we were called out to get had tags on. Oh. One had a tag on. It said the dog's name. Nothing else. How completely useless is that???

I picked up one dog--obviously a very expensive show-type Golden. He was not neutered. Not microchipped. And didn't have on a collar at all. When the owners came, I said, "This looks like a very expensive dog, right?" and they said yes, yes he was. I said, "Do yourselves a favor. Get him microchipped, because he could be stolen. Put a collar with tags on him ALL THE TIME." They looked so confused. Then I handed them the "ticket" for having to go pick up the dog and for "boarding" it for 30 minutes for $45. They looked less baffled after

Which is why I'm so glad to have tags on my current dog :) . AND that she's licensed and registered with the city in case she gets lost. I think I'll get a second collar though, just for tags and use the martingale for walks and other outings.

Johnny wears a tag collar all the time. His martingale has the "adopted from" tag as a backup, in case he slips his tag collar while outside (he only wears the martingale for walkies). You can get a tag clip for easier switching between collars--if you're like most of us, you have collars for every occasion!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

It's actually a requirement by the adoption group I used for the dog to have its 24/7 ID collar on. It's embroideried with the adoption groups name on it so if that number is called, the troops are out in force..LOL We also have one with our dogs name and adoption groups ph# on it. And one with dogs name and our cell phone when we are travelling. ALL have the D ring removed for safety.

Martingale is only on when going for a walk.

Guest HoundWorks

I also use the two collar method. And I never put tags on the d-ring of the martingale nor let them keep their martingale collars on unless they are leashed. My whippet got his tags on the martingale caught on a couch once. We were visiting relatives and I unsnapped the leash. He nearly choked himself trying to back out of the collar which just tightened. Luckily we were there to hold him and get him unsnagged, but these things do happen. So for me it's a safety issue and he has a tag collar he can back out of.

24/7 my dogs wear a collar which has their name and telephone number either monogrammed or inscribed on it. When we go out, their martingale has all their tags. I don't leave the martingale on in the house, as one dog from our group, years back, hung himself on a kitchen cabinet knob.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Thank you everyone for your tips :D I'm going to have to dig out a collar from Aaerro's collection - If I can find them, LOL! So glad I found this forum. I'm learning so much stuff that can also be applied to my current brat attention hog :D

As everybody said already. I also use the two collar method, martingale for walking and normal collar at home with tag, I got some plastic customized tags at esty, so they don't bling bling a lot.

I also put written: "Needs medication" and avoid putting her name, cause I read that if you put the dog's name, people might find cute and try to keep the dog, also the medication alert makes people return the dog quickly.

My dog is a fearful, so I use a harness as well just to be more secure.

Good luck!