Allergy Med And Rimadyl Together?

Rocket has been licking more than usual, primarily along the points where his "tuck" meets his torso on both sides and toward his manly area. I'm suspecting that pollen is the culprit since he lifts his legs on every bush and leans into the bushes when we walk, and in the back yard. Right now Ragweed Pollen is very high here, and in the past his ragweed allergy kicked into high gear when we lived in the Midwest.

He is currently on Tylan twice a day for his stomach, and Rimadyl twice a day since he started having a great deal of stiffness when getting up and walking. His normal med for the ragweed issue is Chlorpheneramine (Chlor-Trimeton). In searching online I haven't been able to determine any interaction since Rimadyl is not a human med, it is not in the drug interaction databases.

I will put a call in to the Vet tomorrow to see if he can be given the allergy med, but was wondering if anyone had a source where I can check for interactions online between these 2 since one is exclusively a Veterinary medication. I would like to give him some relief from the itching tonight if I can, but won't until I know for sure about the safety of doing so.

Thanks.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Don, everything I've found says NSAIDs (Rimadyl) and antihistamines (Benadryl) can be given together. There is no known interaction between the two drugs unless the patient has an allergy to either drug. I even found an online "ask a vet" site that ask this specific question and the vet said it was safe. But, of course, I am not a vet :)

Sorry poor Rocket is having allergy problems, I know how he feels!

Don, everything I've found says NSAIDs (Rimadyl) and antihistamines (Benadryl) can be given together. There is no known interaction between the two drugs unless the patient has an allergy to either drug. I even found an online "ask a vet" site that ask this specific question and the vet said it was safe. But, of course, I am not a vet :)

Sorry poor Rocket is having allergy problems, I know how he feels!

Thanks, Jan. I did some searching but didn't find the "Ask A Vet" result that you found. He seems to be licking a lot at night, so I'm assuming that the itching is keeping him from sleeping. He's had no reaction to either medicaiton in the past.

His allergy to ragweed is horrible. When we lived in IL there was a ragweed bloom all over the area, and every dog that we encountered on our walks was on allergy meds at the time. Rocket had his lifetime allowance of Prednisolone in one allergy season.

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I don't have any advice but I hope Rocket gets some relief.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thanks for the replies.

I gave it to him last night and he had a more restful night. Much less licking during the night.

He is on Tylan for the tummy, so we are always watching for stomach issues and tummy gurgles. The allergy med only lasts about 4 hours, so I will be talking to the vet about using something with a little longer duration. This hasn't been much of an issue for several years since the big ragweed outbreak when we were in the Midwest, so we need to revisit it with the new vet anyway.

Thanks again. The replies were a huge help!

Larry was very itchy around his neck the ENTIRE time he was on RImadyl. Nothing horrible, like he scratched him self sore, but very frequent neck itching. He's been off it now since last Tuesday and back to normal. The help the Rimadyl gave outweighed the itching but if it had been more serve we would have to have stopped it.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

If you think the itching is a contact dermatitis, why don't you try wiping him down with a baby wipe when he comes back into the house. I wipe my guys feet after the development treats the lawns. Good luck with that big boy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I feel for you with managing allergies with Rocket. Kasey did not get much relief from Benadryl but he also had more than just environmental allergy. Out of curiosity, has benadryl ever worked for Rocket?

Also, you can consider applying a cortisone cream which might help. I used it on Kasey's ears as there was no chance he could lick there, not sure if it's so good for where Rocket can access.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Thanks for the replies.

I gave it to him last night and he had a more restful night. Much less licking during the night.

He is on Tylan for the tummy, so we are always watching for stomach issues and tummy gurgles. The allergy med only lasts about 4 hours, so I will be talking to the vet about using something with a little longer duration. This hasn't been much of an issue for several years since the big ragweed outbreak when we were in the Midwest, so we need to revisit it with the new vet anyway.

Thanks again. The replies were a huge help!

Ask about apoquel ;-)

Ask about apoquel ;-)

Thanks.

He does get paws wiped when we come in, and just had a bath in the last couple weeks. He puts his whole body into the bushes, and squats into the low bushes, so it's hard to wipe down everything when we come in. He'll get another bath with the oatmeal shampoo this weekend.