Swollen Stomach And Diarrhea

Guest LittleLouLou

Guest OPointyDog

I second (or third) the importance of knowing the protein levels in the blood question. Fluid build up in the abdomen can be caused by a number of things, but low protein levels can be a primary cause. My 7-year-old female greyhound (Zoe) had ascites (fluid build-up) in her abdomen and it turned out to be caused by a blood clot due to low protein levels. She also had intermittent diarrhea. She was eventually diagnosed with Protein Losing Enteropathy (PLE) caused by Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Not curable but we have been able to stabilize her with medication and special food, and she is in remission currently

Guest LittleLouLou

I thought I would post another follow-up.

The results can back pretty inconclusive.

Here they are:

She has slightly low protein, but not nearly low enough to cause this much (if any) fluid

They didn't see murmurs on her heart

and her liver seemed normal from the Xrays but not 100% clear picture with all the fluid. Which leads me to this.

I am having an ultrasound done on Monday. Hopefully that will let us see a little more and get to the bottom of what is going on. I just want to know ASAP so I can help her!

On the bright side, they drained some of her fluid, so she is feeling a little more comfortable which is great.THEY DRAINED TWO LITERS. And there is still more.

Any ultra sound experience?

New ideas?

Thanks again for your support, I have faith that things are going to look up for Lou.

Ditto on consulting Dr Couto, sooner rather than later.

Two liters is a lot of fluid. When my mom had ovarian cancer, two liters of fluid was drained from her multiple times. It was her first symptom of cancer and testing confirmed it.

Was an analysis done of the fluid?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest LittleLouLou

Her case isn't getting any better.

Ultrasound didn't reveal anything new.

The fluid has moved down to her back paws some, but she can still walk. thank god.

I went to the vet today and they suggested putting her down....

Her proteins are dropping and something else as well.

I don't want to continue to put her in any more pain or discomfort. I will consult, but I think I may have to say goodbye.

Thanks for everyone's support

:(

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:(

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Any updates? :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."