Swollen Stomach And Diarrhea

Guest LittleLouLou

Guest LittleLouLou

Hey All,

I've noticed that my girls stomach has been swollen. At first I thought she was just getting fat, I adopted her about 3 months ago. But after giving it a good feel she appears to be bloated and swollen. It's been about three days now.

Otherwise she is acting normal, and does not seem to be in any pain, not even when I gently squeeze her belly. I called her vet and they said not to worry, but of course, I am worried and would love everyone's opinion here.

A week ago I got her anal glands expressed, she was licking back there and that seems to be good now, maybe this has something to do with that?

She did not have diarrhea until once the other day and then again today, but with two solid poops in between.

She has been eating normal, and was very happy when I gave her a new squeak toy. She is eating normally too, I added some rice to her kibble to try and ease her stomach.

Any thoughts? I don't think it's bloat considering she has no other symptoms. Could it be gas? Any tips on how to deal with that?

Guest LittleLouLou

I believe she was when I first got her, or at least they said the tests were negative.

Three months ago, when I got her she did one dose of this yellow liquid medicine just to be sure, but then they told me I didn't need to do it again.

A vet exam is going to be the only way to know for sure what's going on. Make sure that your vet has greyhound experience, and if they don't find one who does. There are things with these dogs where the word "normal" doesn't apply to greyhounds like it does to other breeds.

Some of these hounds have worms when coming off the track that takes multiple treatments to deal with. A negative fecal only means there was no sign of worms in that one stool. We've all been through something similar, and it can take some time to identify and treat a parasite if there is one. One test just doesn't cut it. I'd also be worried that she ate something she shouldn't and has a blockage of some sort based on your description.

Hopefully, it is something minor, but a hands-on exam and some bloodwork, or maybe x-rays etc is needed depending on what the vet suspects the problem to be. Better to go now than have it turn into an emergency later.

Hope your girl is feeling better soon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest LittleLouLou

I doubt it is worms, she was in the kennel for 2+ years before I adopted her. She's 5.

I gave her a rawhide bone a week or so ago, a nice quality one made in the USA. It was rolled and didn't have any knots. I have read up and since taken it away. But she is a chewer for sure, and not much of an eater. So she doesn't break off large pieces and swallow, just gnaws on the bone. I always gave it to her under supervision too. And she never choked or anything like that. But I'm worried it could be that. Thoughts? Although nothing I've read connects raw hides to bloating.

All in all, we made an appointment for Sunday. She appears happy and not in any pain, so hopefully it will pass before then.

I hope it is an easy fix. I'm forever worried about her and worried about a big vet bill. But better safe than sorry for sure.

I doubt it is worms, she was in the kennel for 2+ years before I adopted her. She's 5.

I gave her a rawhide bone a week or so ago, a nice quality one made in the USA. It was rolled and didn't have any knots. I have read up and since taken it away. But she is a chewer for sure, and not much of an eater. So she doesn't break off large pieces and swallow, just gnaws on the bone. I always gave it to her under supervision too. And she never choked or anything like that. But I'm worried it could be that. Thoughts? Although nothing I've read connects raw hides to bloating.

All in all, we made an appointment for Sunday. She appears happy and not in any pain, so hopefully it will pass before then.

I hope it is an easy fix. I'm forever worried about her and worried about a big vet bill. But better safe than sorry for sure.

I wouldn't rule out a piece of rawhide. They have been known to cause problems, as can bones or other hard objects. I prefer to give Bully Sticks for chewing, as they are more digestible, although there can still be an issue if the dog bites off a large chunk. The ones from Best Bully Sticks are used by many owners here.

If you can get her in before Sunday, I would, simply because it's already been an issue for a few days. . She may need some stomach meds. Diarrhea can also lead to dehydration so be sure to be alert for that as well. We've had our share of $200 tummy aches at the vet, so understand the concern about cost, Typically if 72 hours has passed and things aren't better, I usually head to the vet.

Good luck.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest LittleLouLou

Please see the vet. I lost my five year old to liver disease. The first sign of trouble was a bloated belly.

Her liver enzymes were fine but her liver function tests were off the charts.

An ultrasound confirmed liver disease.

What were their symptoms? And what type of liver disease? Now you've got me seriously worried. Is there anything I should be avoiding in the meantime? What causes liver disease? And what was their prognosis?

I will mention this to the vet. Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear that about your pup.

I wouldn't rule out a piece of rawhide. They have been known to cause problems, as can bones or other hard objects. I prefer to give Bully Sticks for chewing, as they are more digestible, although there can still be an issue if the dog bites off a large chunk. The ones from Best Bully Sticks are used by many owners here.

If you can get her in before Sunday, I would, simply because it's already been an issue for a few days. . She may need some stomach meds. Diarrhea can also lead to dehydration so be sure to be alert for that as well. We've had our share of $200 tummy aches at the vet, so understand the concern about cost, Typically if 72 hours has passed and things aren't better, I usually head to the vet.

Good luck.

Thank you! The earliest appointment I could get was Sunday. And I just called them again and mentioned the raw hide and they said not to worry unless she starts vomiting. I wish I could get there sooner, I am so nervous for her. Even though she is happy as can be.

But thank you, I will keep you posted.

Edited by LittleLouLou

Is she drinking or peeing more than normal? A large belly can be a sign of Cushing's. Hope it's nothing serious.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Is she drinking or peeing more than normal? A large belly can be a sign of Cushing's. Hope it's nothing serious.

You're in Philadelphia; is NGAP an option for you? You could take her there.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest LittleLouLou

NGAP is her vet, and where I adopted her. They are wonderful.

I've pushed her appointment up to Saturday morning. It's the best they could do, but after two worried phone calls they said that appointment should be fine and no need to rush if she isn't vomiting and is acting normal. I hope to have some answers soon. I haven't been able to rest easy.

Praying for some easy fix. I'm so worried about her. I will let everyone know what they say.

On a side not her stools have been looking better. Thanks for the support.

Guest LittleLouLou

Hey all- so while Lou is still being cute and acting like her same old goofy self. We still don't quite know what is causing her bloating.

The vet took a an X-ray and a sample of the fluid. They said there was no blood in the fluid- and I'll be getting the test results back tomorrow since she said she hadn't seen anything like it before. So, sadly, still no answers and I'm still pretty worried about her.

I feel very supported and I'm just wishing for the best

Edited by LittleLouLou

Yup, I'd run bloodwork. Have them look at her total protein, globulin and albumin. Ultrasound may be necessary as well.

The reason:
Miss Mojito developed lymphangiectasia in 2012 and her belly filled with fluid (protein dumping), she was 9 at the time. At first, this was the only symptom!
Her body could not process fat so it was dumping all of her protein into her abdomen. Truthfully, the treatment nearly killed her (high dose prednisone), but here we are 4 years later and she's doing just fine on a low fat, high protein diet and low dose prednisone.

Sending white light!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest LittleLouLou

Blood work showed that platelets were high and red blood cells low. I'll ask to see about protein, but I hope this is something that medication like that will fix.

I asked about her liver, but they said that the X-ray didn't show anything abnormal. But they couldn't see too much with the fluid so I may have to take her someplace else to get an ultrasound.

The lab should be getting back to me with the results from testing her fluid today. Hopefully I will know more.

Thanks for the support and sharing your stories, it is really helping me cope and hope that this can be a solvable issue. Poor girl is having trouble getting comfortable with her big belly and I just want her to be happy.

Woof.

Blood work showed that platelets were high and red blood cells low. I'll ask to see about protein, but I hope this is something that medication like that will fix.

I asked about her liver, but they said that the X-ray didn't show anything abnormal. But they couldn't see too much with the fluid so I may have to take her someplace else to get an ultrasound.

The lab should be getting back to me with the results from testing her fluid today. Hopefully I will know more.

Thanks for the support and sharing your stories, it is really helping me cope and hope that this can be a solvable issue. Poor girl is having trouble getting comfortable with her big belly and I just want her to be happy.

Woof.