Picking Up Water At Night

Nope. Usually if he drinks I know he should go out in about an hour so I just be aware of when he does drink. If it's bedtime, he can have a sip but not drain the bowl. He usually doesn't drink before bed though so we're alright. Once we're tucked in, he doesn't get up until morning with me.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest makalataylor

I do pick up water...Molly is a night drinker and won't be able to make it until the morning. I pick it up and hour before bedtime(bedtime is at 10:30) and her water goes back down at 5 am. She isn't a big drinker so during the day I put a little chicken broth in her water to encourage her to drink.

Nope. It's down 24/7. Annie could drink an entire bowl and hold if for 12 hours if she wanted to. I don't let her, of course. My girl is very routine oriented. She has an internal clock that tells her when she should go potty, and any time after 9 PM or before 7:30 AM is not part of her potty clock.

Speak to your vet about this--

Generally you don't want to remove a dog's water. A normal, healthy housebroken dog should not have trouble making it through the night. If yours regularly does, you should also see the vet about that.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Speak to your vet about this--

Generally you don't want to remove a dog's water. A normal, healthy housebroken dog should not have trouble making it through the night. If yours regularly does, you should also see the vet about that.

This, especially if this is a new problem.

Or if the dog is fairly newly adopted and it's potentially a house training issue, keep the dog in the bedroom with you (close the door or baby gate it). Provide access to water in the room, but that way if your dog has to go, he/she can let you know. Also less likely to get up and wander, thus needing to go out, if they're safely tucked into their "den" with you.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest makalataylor

Like she suggested, ask your vet. We pick up water but we have talked to the vet and Greysland Atlanta. I'll break down what we do :)

Molly only gets a full water bowl from 5 am until 9:30 pm. I pick it up at night, she will potty right when we get our feet hit the floor at 5 while we are trying to get her leash on if we don't.

We've taken her to the vet and she checked out fine.

She just isn't used to a large amount of water because she was only given water 4 times a day(usually during potty time outside) at the adoption kennel, and the track (except after races).

After talking to my vet, who works alongside Auburn University, it is definitely okay to restrict a dog's access to water for a short period of time pending no medical issues

After talking to my vet, who works alongside Auburn University, it is definitely okay to restrict a dog's access to water for a short period of time pending no medical issues

You mentioned this in another thread and I just want to say that while this seems to work in your case and can in others, you can also create behavioral issues around water by restricting a dog's water intake so I wouldn't necessarily make this recommendation and say it is "definitely okay" in all cases. Medical issues should be ruled out first, which you acknowledged and then other training issues - particularly house training or possible schedule issues - need to be addressed. Water restriction should be a last resort.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest makalataylor

My apologies I should have worded that differently. I do believe though once you have eliminated other options you can pick up the water.

We've been doing this since we go Molly, and she does great with it, as she is used to only having water 4 times a day. She now has all day access, but I take her out at 5 am, 7 am, noon, 5:30, 7:00, 9:00 and then again at ten. She is still eager to go potty now in the morning, but won't potty in the house while we are trying to get her out of the door.

As I have said previously I am just going off of what was recommended by our vet, and the adoption agency and what has worked for us because it may also work for someone else and their grey.

Makalataylor, every single retired racer on this board is used to only having water XX times per day. But you say it in a way that implies somehow this is cruel or inappropriate. I just want to assure you that it is in no racing trainer/owner's interest to have dehydrated dogs.

Most racers, upon retirement, go through a period where they might "tank up" and temporarily drink too much water. But normally, within days or weeks, they realize that water is always there and they stop doing it.

When dogs sleep, they sort of go into a semi-dormant state. It is NOT normal for a healthy dog to not be able to hold it all night. Particulary 10 PM to 5 AM.

Will she die if she is without water for those hours? Of course not. But to suggest that it's normal is wrong.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest makalataylor

I certainly was not trying to imply that is was cruel or mean, I was just stating that in my experience with Molly and hearing the back story from the adoption group that picking up water at night is perfectly okay to do. I've had numerous conversations with our vet about this. Even if we do have water down we have to put chicken broth in it to get her to drink. She is a perfectly healthy, happy dog.

The second you stand up in the morning to take her out she will squat and pee before getting her outside. I've talked to the vet and they suggested picking up the water at night in case she is going in and taking in a bunch of water at night which is why she has to go so badly in the morning.

I'm not sure either way, I just wanted to make a suggestion based on what works for us and Molly. It may work for someone else too once they have the dog seen by a vet.

I have water on all 3 floors. One is in my bedroom. My girl Peace always got up once a night to drink and it made me happy to know she could have water whenever she wanted it. She lived in a kennel for 8 1/2 years.

My Luka was so tickled when I put a new water bowl in the kitchen. He wagged his tail and gave me kisses.