Dark Yellow Urine

Guest makalataylor

Guest makalataylor

Moll'y urine is a dark yellow color, and after talks with the greyhound adoption agency and the vet it is normal unless she is acting lethargic. She doesn't drink much at all, despite adding chicken broth...which before moving in with us she was only given water 3-4 times a day at the track and the adoption agency

I am wondering if there is too much protein in her food since she is not active at all. I know too much protein in a low activity dog can cause some issues. She is eating Purina One right now.

Dark yellow just means her urine is concentrated, which makes sense if she's not a big drinker. I wouldn't worry about it unless you've had her a long time and something has changed. A urinalysis is always an easy way to check to make sure everything is okay. You wouldn't worry about protein in her diet unless she had a lot of protein in her urine.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My grey has always had dark urine too. He is completely healthy....may be a greyhound thing?? I wouldn't worry about protein unless your pup has a medical condition (Proplan isn't that high in protein compared to a lot of foods)

Edited by RedHead

If you're worried, a urinalysis is an easy way to put your mind at rest. And not expensive. Dark yellow isn't bad in and of itself. You need to watch out for blood in her urine though.

If she *needs* to drink more water you can always add some to her meals. FWIW, I've had them at both ends of the spectrum - drinkers and sippers! They have all been healthy. You can check her hydration quickly by gently grabbing her skin at the base of her neck, just above her shoulderblades, and gently stretch it upwards a few inches and then let it go. If it quickly falls back into her body, she's fine. If it takes a minute or two to rebound, she might need some liquids. If it stays "tented" up and doesn't make an effort to resume it's normal place she nees to go to the vet asap for fluids.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly