Infected Tooth - Update/question #7

Violet's teeth are a mess. She just had horrible teeth and is now overdue for a dental because I just couldn't handle the likely emergency situation that is sedating her while Zuri was fighting osteo. So we are out of town the next 2 wkds, but I had promised myself that I would get her to the dentist right after that. In the meantime, in the last few days she's started rubbing one side of her face a lot. She has a messed up tooth on that side so I'm starting to worry about a possible abscess. I don't see anything obvious, there's no swelling, but it's obviously bothering her some.

So my question, is this a situation where my vet might just prescribe a course of ABs until we can get her in to the dentist? I have virtually no time between now and when we leave Thursday, but could maybe get them to squeeze her in tomorrow. Alternatively, I have access to Cephalexin...

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Sportingfields

If the vet can squeeze her in, I'd do that. It is possible that she doesn't have an infection but obviously if she is worrying at that side of the face, something is bothering her. One of my pups did have a slab fracture but that only had them eating cautiously. Haven't experienced what you are talking about.

Is it possible that she has a piece of food or something in-between her teeth? Do you have a tiny mirror so you can check both sides of the gumline? if so maybe dental floss or brushing her teeth, can flip it out?

I would probably go with a course of antibiotics for two weeks and book her then. I don't think my vet will do a dental when there's an abscess until after a course of abx. My vet likes antirobe for teeth abscesses, but I've done the cephalexin route with no problems.

They were able to get us in this morning. I had already made the appt, but after doing a little more reading on the type of antibiotics that are best for dental issues, I definitely didn't feel comfortable just using the Cephalexin we have. Turns out, the tooth that I suspected was the problem now has some nasty pus in there (this is the tooth that has had the hole in it by the gumline for some time). So she prescribed a 3 week course of Clinadmycin so we'd have enough to get us through until her dental consult, which I'm about to call and schedule. Poor girl - hopefully the ABs help her feel better. I know it can't be good to have a tooth like that in your mouth.

I also wanted to run a urinalysis and do blood work if we hadn't done it in a while so we were able to do that as well so it all worked out.

Now to just avoid having panic attacks for the next 3 weeks about the dental.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Dental scheduled. Consult 2 weeks from today, dental one week and a day after that. I'm going to be in a panic as I'm just not hopeful we'll get through it without another emergency situation, but one can hope. :hope

Any chance this is a "things are going to get worse before they get better" scenario because the ABs are doing their thing and blowing it up in there? Because Violet has been rubbing her face a lot tonight. :( We started the Clindamycin at dinner last night so she has had 3 doses so far.