Good Thoughts For Grandy Please

Please send prayers, white light and anything else you can send to my Grandy. I had to leave her at the E-Vet. They suspect she has a blood clot in her left leg.

10568907_10152606285356125_7059083195395

On Wednesday she was running in the yard. I noticed when she came inside that she was walking differently. Then she started sinking in her back end. Since she had had a similar instance at the vet after her dental I suspected this was a repeat. We know, from x-rays when she was delivering puppies that there are some degenerating disks. I gave her rimadyl and tramadol and put ice on her back. She napped and was back to normal an hour or so later.

I made an appointment to take her in to the vet on Tuesday to discuss this and get some meds in case it happened again.

Today at dinner time Grandy got jostled by the two rambunctious young ones and I noticed right away that we were having a repeat of Wednesday's problem. I didn't have any rimadyl so I gave her aspirin and tramadol. She was not so co-operative as she could not get comfortable. We made the decision to take her to the E-Vet as she was unable to use her left leg. I called to say we were coming in, and they made her a priority, so when we arrived they took her right away.

The vet said it was an unusual situation. She suspected that it was a blood clot. Grandy had little pulse in her left leg below the groin. Her blood draws from each leg were significantly different.

Blood Glucose 3.3 Left and 4.3 Right

Lactate 6.6 Left and 2.8 in Right

We left Grandy in the ICU. I was able to go back to see her before we left. Grandy was happy to see me and the staff were embarrassed that she was laying on the floor instead of the cushy bed they had prepared for her. I wasn't surprised, she has a slight fever and was cooling herself down.

If anyone has had experience with something like this please let me know.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

No experience but lots of good thoughts for pretty Grandy: :hope:candle

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Desi had a clot in a rear leg.....a big one. He tried to get out of bed one night at midnight & fell on his face, then couldn't use that rear leg at all.

Off to the e-vet. Stayed there 3 days, then they told me to come take him home, there was nothing else they could do except put him on 1/2 a

baby aspirin daily & told me that he may or may not regain use of that leg. So there I was, with an immobile 80 lb hound in the back of my suv that

I couldn't get out by myself, and as his shoulders had always been gimpy, he wouldn't even 3-leg it. I took him to my regular vet & sat in the parking

lot crying my eyes out, on the verge of having him pts because I could see no way I was going to be able to handle him. One of the techs saw me out

there, came out & talked, convinced me to let them have him for a few days & see what happened. We did physical therapy on that leg multiple times

every day (& there I had help to get him outside). He improved steadily & came home after a week, still favoring that leg, but able to get around.

He lived for several more years taking the 1/2 aspirin every day & never had another incident. I thank doG every single day for the compassion of

that technician who convinced me to give him time.

Best wishes for your Grandy.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Sending good thoughts for your mama girl. Doodles had an FCE (spinal stroke, clot or debris) in December 2014, was in the neuro ICU for 8 days. Cold laser (usually every 3 weeks), acupuncture as needed and 1/2 of a baby aspirin today and she's still with me at 13 years and 7 months old. Sending healing thoughts to Mama Grandy, Janet.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Feel better soon Mama Grandy. You are one of GT's all time favorite girls and we are all pulling for you to be home soon and feeling good! :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Sending good thoughts for your mama girl. Doodles had an FCE (spinal stroke, clot or debris) in December 2014, was in the neuro ICU for 8 days. Cold laser (usually every 3 weeks), acupuncture as needed and 1/2 of a baby aspirin today and she's still with me at 13 years and 7 months old. Sending healing thoughts to Mama Grandy, Janet.

Nice to hear. I am looking at accupuncture and borrowing a cold laser. First we have to get her home.

Feel better soon Mama Grandy. You are one of GT's all time favorite girls and we are all pulling for you to be home soon and feeling good! :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

Awww thank you!

SHere is our game plan.... I think.

First the vet emailed Dr Couto her treatment plan. Nice to see a vet willing to reach out to him. Dr Couto is basically happy with her plan as he prefers Fentanyl to Hydromorphone. I asked what we should do first, and he said to do an abdominal ultrasound. He says since they often see primary aortoiliac thrombosis in hounds. Aortoiliac thrombosis usually causes rear leg weakness, which may explain the other episode/s. Grandy is responding well to the Fentanyl as an IV so it can be controlled. I'm hoping she will be better able to function. That way we will know if she is able to use her right side correctly or if there is some deficiencies there. We really need that info before moving much further forward. Guillermo says that Hydromorphone causes dysphoria so he is happy she is off it. He told Dr Gotleib that "Most do well with the treatment you are using. Some hounds on heparin bleed at the injection site before the APTT is prolonged. " Guess we need to be careful the bleeding thing doesn't go the other way.

I plan to call in about half an hour. If I don't reach her, I will send an email telling them we are changing the plan.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Janet, sending good thoughts for Grandy.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

sending many hugs! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Grandy update for today Oct 3rd. Grandy is doing better in some ways. Leg has improved in that they feel a slight pulse, and there is blood profusion.
She had an abdominal ultrasound, and they found no sign of a thrombus. Everything is going to Dr Couto for review.
Grandy has dark urine and a UTI plus some fluid in her back leg. Not ruling our PLN but they do not think so. Vet said in more cases than not they never do find the source. BUT she is on a preventative, and will stay on one. Goal now is to get her pain relief with oral meds. They are thinking of adding in something else. I asked if Gabapentin would be a good fit. Vet thinks yes, but will see what Dr C says. Once she is on something that works, we can look at bringing her home.
Grandy has a Greyhound Assist Harness on, the Techs are impressed with it. I got to sit with her for a bit. I took rotisserie chicken and some yogurt. She took the chicken then gently put it on her bead. So, I opened a strawberry yogurt and she ate all of it! First thing since Saturday morning. She was so much more responsive. Eating and watching me. She threw herself on her side so I would rub her belly. I missed her cue to do so the first time, but realized what she wanted so complied. When I stopped she sat up, then flopped over again. I laughed.
A much better visit.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Good thoughts for your special girl.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.