Introducing Sully

18261_original.jpg

I don't know why it's sideways, but it's been that sort of day!

18605_original.jpg

He really does sleep like a dead cockroach! Our last boy had an oblong chest or something, so when he tried to roach he usually flopped over the other way. Sully is just cracking us up sleeping all splayed out like that. :-)

Sully is a sweet lovey boy so far. He was overwhelmed at first in the house, but after an hour of perimeter checks, he finally sat down and stopped panting.

He's had a short walk, dinner and 2 turnouts.

Things we have already learned:

• He eats like a champ!

• He's a leaner!

• Did I mention he is sweet and lovey?

• He takes simple correction well- he wants to be a good boy, as soon as we teach him what that entails.

• He really really finds squirrels interesting. We kept him moving, but he walked away with his head practically turned backwards. Hopefully that novelty will wear off.

• He *can* do stairs, but it isn't pretty yet.

• I need to dog proof a higher zone of the house, this boy is a climber and a reacher, unlike our last 2.

• We need to secure the TV and or TV stand so he doesn't knock it over (again, not a problem with last 2)

• We will definitely need to go through all the steps in alone training. We got home late today and he whined when DH went into the yard to scoop, and I'm told he whined and paced while I took the garbage out.

So Greyhounds for dummies suggested the first day we go into another room for 5-15 minutes, to see how he does. We went into the front room and gated him in the family room. That lasted just over 2 minutes.

He put his paws on the cutouts in the wall between the two rooms and was peeking at us (and knocked over the knick knacks on it, I thought they were up high enough…. not!)

We're sitting again and once he's chilled out we'll try again for 5 minutes in another room without him. Maybe the kitchen?

I'm exhausted, it's been a long day, we didn't get home until after 5pm.

I hope I didn't make a mistake not getting a crate for him. The plan had been to leave him alone muzzled and baby gated in one room when we left. He seems to work out his stress (like when we've said "no") on chewing the rawhide and bone, and he can't do that in a muzzle. When my husband was outside, Sully was distractible with food, so I have hope a kong will distract him. I guess we'll get through the night, and see what tomorrow brings!

Welcome home Sully! Sounds like you are in for a fun time with him.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Congrats. He seems like a super sweet boy.

I start alone training after 2 or 3 days when I get the feeling the general nervousness of being in a complete unknown environment lessens.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Congratulations - he is lovely! Welcome home Sully! :clap

Both Doc and Ken were stressed initially but found things a lot easier once the first twenty-four hours had passed and they could see what the new routine was going to be.

I never used a crate for either but then greyhounds in the UK aren't so used to them (they live in kennels, usually paired up). For alone training I think I left it until the second day to go out and leave them on their own, just for a few minutes. Ken coped really well from the outset, Doc found it harder but we got there in the end!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Welcome to your new home, Sully. I know you're overwhelmed, but just hang in there. Have patience with your new 'rents, they're probably

overwhelmed, too. I'm betting all will be much better when the "new" wears off.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Sully slept like a champ in our bedroom once we finally got him upstairs. I woke up each time he shifted but he was very good- I got nosey in the face twice but telling him I'm still here, go back to bed was all he needed. We woke him up at 6:00 for morning turnout. Hoping to inch forward to 7:30 eventually.

He keeps play bowing at mirrors and at night the windows and tv reflect and kind of wigged him out- he tries to jump up.

He is much more mellow today. I went out for an hour, now DH is going out for a few hours. I'm going to offer a Kong w peanut butter while I do laundry in the forbidden basement for a little bit. If all goes well, we'll try to Kong and drive around the block and back.

He notices every damn squirrel, but is already more correctable. I shorten up his leash and hold by the extra hand hold and even I can keep him under control (with effort).

Walking a new dog is like steering a drunken sailor, I had forgotten about that, lol.

Walking a new dog is like steering a drunken sailor, I had forgotten about that, lol.

:lol

Welcome, handsome Sully! He sounds lovely, wanting to please you, as well as lovey.

He notices every damn squirrel,

Eve not only noticed every damn squirrel, she remembered every spot where she had seen one. Within a few weeks her poor brain went on information overload and she quit being so vigilant.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Eve not only noticed every damn squirrel, she remembered every spot where she had seen one. Within a few weeks her poor brain went on information overload and she quit being so vigilant.

Good to know. Ordered a harness from Amazon for the mean time. He is a good dog but I suspect his prey drive might be stronger than I am! Part of me wishes I could let him dispatch with some of those damn tulip-bulb-stealers! Hopefully the novelty will wear off.