Moving To Uk, How Do I Take My Little Girl With Me?

Guest cocomom

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has done a transatlantic move with greys? Moving to the UK for work and will bring my girl with me. I was wondering if anyone has advice on flying with a greyhound? Also does anyone one know any grey groups in the UK?

Edited by cocomom

Yes and yes :)

What area will you be located?

I have just brought my grey over to Canada from Birmingham (UK). Let me know what you need!

As for me, I took Air Transat, with the largest cage I could find (Sky Kennel, giant) I bought it used. You need to be 2 to carry it, it is massive. I got 2 bowls, cable ties for the door and I bought new screws, just to be safe in case one didn't work well. Book your ticket in advance, book the dog (they need to approve him) and go!

When at the airport, it is very easy, they will be waiting for you (almost) so as soon as they see the dog, you will be taken in charge. They will provide any tag/stickers you need for the crate,

For the flight he had an DAP collar, a martingale with his tag (home number and UK number), 3 blankets with his smell a soft mat and a used T-shirt. CRATE TRAIN!!!

After the flight, have someone help you disassemble the crate with a knife/scissors to cut the ties (the airline added some to the crate) and dispose/carry it. Hold your dog with a HARNESS and a MARTINGALE. airports are scary for them and busy.

As for paperwork. as I did contact/called the DEFRA (UK) for EXPORTATION, but I believe you will need similar paperwork for IMPORTATION. https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

Email those people : pettravel@apha.gsi.gov.uk They are very kind and will guide you in the process of importation. If not they will refer you to the right person.

Check with the US governement in case you need EXPORTATION papers as well.

Have his rabies shot ready, done, up to date as soon as possible. Microchip also!

Don't hesitate to contact me for any help, I LITERALLY went over this a month ago ;)

13925227_10155212471409478_5124588273981

Forgot about the grey groups, look at the Retired Greyhound Trust (RGT) there might be a branch near you ;)

Edited by locket

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

The Retired Greyhound Trust is the racing industry sponsored re-homing charity with branches nationwide.

https://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/regional-branches

There are also plenty of other greyhound/lurcher area specific rescue/rehoming charities.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

The only thing I did differently when I flew my dog from Madrid to Toronto was that I didn't take him out of the crate until we in the vehicle. He's very shy and I didn't want to chance any escapes.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I remember it was difficult to take a dog to the UK some time ago because of their quarantine laws. But I don't know if that changed.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I remember it was difficult to take a dog to the UK some time ago because of their quarantine laws. But I don't know if that changed.

they've changed a lot. the 6mo. quarantine is no longer universal. see above links to current UK gov. sites.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest cocomom

Thank you all for all your tips! Does anyone know of greyhound events in the UK like Dewey Greyhounds or Greys and Grapes http://greyhoundevents.com/

@locket. Thank you for explaining the process. Where did you get the crate? Did you use ebay? I will probably need something like that for my little girl. I am moving to Cambridge in the UK so will definitely check out the RGT. I think there is one in Bishop Strotford which is near to Cambrige.

@banjoman Thank you

@robinw My sister will be staying with her as we check in on the flight so she won't be alone for a single second until they take her to put her on the plane. I was worried that she would be overwhelmed with the airport too, although she is used to crowds.

@smurfette and @ kronckew Thank you for the update on UK rules

@OneOnly I will be in Cambridge while not close to Bristol I hope we can meet at any greyhound events in the UK.

Thank you all for all your tips! Does anyone know of greyhound events in the UK like Dewey Greyhounds or Greys and Grapes http://greyhoundevents.com/

@locket. Thank you for explaining the process. Where did you get the crate? Did you use ebay? I will probably need something like that for my little girl. I am moving to Cambridge in the UK so will definitely check out the RGT. I think there is one in Bishop Strotford which is near to Cambrige.

For the crate I used gumtree which is the craigslist of the UK (since I was in the UK!) Roam ebay and craigslist and BARGAIN! Most people have used it for one flight and then are stuck with it ;)

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

You won't find anything on the same scale, the biggest would be the RGT Great Greyhound Gathering which is held every September. Meanwhile some of their other events are listed here: https://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/about-us/events

There is also the Great Global Greyhound Walk, which started off as the Great British Greyhound Walk. The next one will be in June 2017: http://www.greatglobalgreyhoundwalk.co.uk/

And RGT branches and other local greyhound charities will hold their own fundraising events of course. Ken and I sometimes help ours with meet and greets, and also went to a very nice 'end of summer party' down at the kennels the other weekend :)

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Cambridge isn't a million miles away from me - about 45 minutes drive. The RGT Greyhound Extravaganza is a nice event which is held every year in Newmarket at the Animal Health Trust, I think around June time, which isn't too far from where you'll be. I don't have any of my own greyhounds at present, but I have just started to do some grey-sitting, so if you ever need a carer for your little girl ... :)

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting