Martingale Collars And Cancer

mikefc

Hello All

While walking our girls recently, someone stopped to admire them ( happens often ) but dropped this little nugget before moving on: martingale collars can cause throat cancer in greyhounds who sometimes pull from their neck. We have a harness and used it on our big boy Lander, before he passed. If there is any truth to this at all we will purchase another and Put Frannie and Chloe in them to walk. They are good walkers about 75% of the time but you know how it is, sometimes we're just out of our minds with excitement and act a bit crazy......

Has anyone ever heard of this cancer issue?

LOL, WHUT?? :dunno I've heard that choke chains could contribute to LP, but not that. I think they can get bruised tracheas from the collar being pulled too hard...

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Has anyone even heard of a greyhound with throat cancer? I haven't, and if martingales could trigger throat cancer, we'd be hearing about it all the time.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Don't think that's true. Unless you have a radioactive martingale. In which case, do not buy from that vendor ever again :lol

Darn it, I so wanted a glow-in-the-dark martingale :-)

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Yes-greyhounds can get throat cancer (squamous cell carcinoma, thyroid carcinoma...) but to say the cause is from a collar is absurd.

I do believe most ghs should be walked with a harness however, as we do see with some frequency tweaky necks (ivdd).

This!!

But I personally abhore a harness for walking.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Walking a large dog with a harness is, in my personal opinion, just teaching the dog how easy it is to drag a human. There is a reason sled dogs and draft dogs use harnesses--because a harness makes it easier to pull.

A spooky dog needs a harness, for sure. But only to keep it from escaping.

A properly fitted martingale will tighten but not choke. A dog with half a brain will not cause himself discomfort and will tend to stop pulling when he feels the discomfort of a tightening collar.

Many people do not know how a collar is supposed to fit. Your tag collar can hang down on the neck near the shoulders, but your martingale should be up under the chin.

This is a classic example of don't believe everything you hear. I was told that greyhounds don't sit because they use electric cattle prods on them at the track. This is as true as that!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yes-greyhounds can get throat cancer (squamous cell carcinoma, thyroid carcinoma...) but to say the cause is from a collar is absurd.

I do believe most ghs should be walked with a harness however, as we do see with some frequency tweaky necks (ivdd).

:nod

Though if your dog pulls, there is potential for injury over time, primarily with the shoulders with many harnesses, especially no pull ones.

When in doubt I recommend the Balance harness. Deters pulling, designed specifically to not cause injury, and highly adjustable.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I don't want to start a debate on the use if harnesses as I don't want to stray from the op's original question but, to clarify a dog with cervical IVDD will not walk with better manners when wearing a collar because it may potentially hurts him/herself. That's giving a dog way too much credit.

No harder to teach a dog to walk nicely in a harness than to teach a dog to walk nicely in a collar.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.