What Size Needle Needed For Subcutaneous Syringe?

Our vet has prescribed Adequan for Capri to see if it helps ease her aging joints (she's 12). They did the first injection to show me and are allowing me to do it at home. I'm comfortable with that because I do my own injected sub-q medication. Here's the odd part: the medicine says it has several different uses, so to ask your vet what is the correct size needle to buy. I asked them and the answer was: any size is fine.

Derp. I know enough to know that's not true. A 2 inch long needle would work? How about the tiny syringes designed for insulin? Fortunately, I'm not completely stupid, and ended up buying 3cc syringes with 3/4" needles. But now that I have them in hand, I think they're still a bit long. I think I can use them as long as I'm very careful not to go too deep. But here's my question for you all here... what's the real answer? For a sub-cutaneous medication for a dog, next time I need to buy syringes, should I get 1/2" needles? Shorter than that?

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I am an RN.

I would suggest a 25 gauge 5/8" needle. That would be plenty long enough considering that greyhound skin is thin and they don't have a lot of subcutaenous fat either. What is the preferred location for such an injection? The back of the neck or shoulder? These seem to be the easiest places to properly pick up a pocket of skin to ensure the injection actually winds up in the space under the skin.

Edited by cendrine1

That's so strange. When they gave me Adequan for Neyla the medication was already portioned out in syringes with needles.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I just looked up the product insert for Adequan. It says it is to be given as an intramuscular injection twice weekly. I think it would be best to clarify this with the vet and get a lesson about intramuscular injection technique if needed

We did talk about that. It's approved use is intramuscular but vets have been experimenting with sub-q also and finding that it works just as well that way. The vet said that it hurts a little more in the muscle but she said I can do it either way I'm (and Capri is) comfortable with. The vet did her first injection on Saturday sub-q.

I use 25 gauge, 3cc, 5/8 needle length for Lucy's B12 shots

Thanks! this is what I'll get next time. Fortunately I only bought 8 syringes to start with.

That's so strange. When they gave me Adequan for Neyla the medication was already portioned out in syringes with needles.

My meds are pre-filled syringes also, that's how I got tripped up on this. I didn't find adequan offered that way, though. Maybe it depends. Both Costco and Wegman's pharmacies said that they'd have to pre-order it for us and it's sometimes hard to get. F&S had it in stock so that's who I went with, but it was only in vials.

I am an RN.

I would suggest a 25 gauge 5/8" needle. That would be plenty long enough considering that greyhound skin is thin and they don't have a lot of subcutaenous fat either. What is the preferred location for such an injection? The back of the neck or shoulder? These seem to be the easiest places to properly pick up a pocket of skin to ensure the injection actually winds up in the space under the skin.

She's got some loose skin on the back of her neck and shoulders, so I'll do it there. The vet told me I could do it anywhere I could pick up enough skin.

Edited by jetcitywoman

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

Well we got it straight from the vet and I'm sure payed a lot more money that way. I'm sure once you get the needles figured out this way will be just as good if not better.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I just looked up the product insert for Adequan. It says it is to be given as an intramuscular injection twice weekly. I think it would be best to clarify this with the vet and get a lesson about intramuscular injection technique if needed

Yes-Adequan should be given im in alternating sites. 22g is fine

http://www.adequancanine.us

Edited by tbhounds

I did my first (her second) dose last night and it went fine even though the needle was a little too long/big. I'll definitely buy the appropriate size needles when I have to reorder, but for now the ones I got will work.

Sort of tangential, it showed me just how delicate greyhound skin is. When I do my own sub-q medication, my skin has enough elasticity that most times it takes a bit of force to insert the needle. With Capri, it went in with so little resistance that I doubted if I'd done it right and wiped my hand over her fur to see it if was wet! Like maybe I'd injected the meds between the hairs of her coat! :lol But she was dry so it was fine.