Diarrhea Not Responding

Guest MnMDogs

We added Flutter about 2 weeks ago and have been fighting diarrhea since she started. I added a timeline to hopefully explain what has been going on

• Sep 13 tested positive for worms, including hooks. Treated for 5 days with Panacur (this was with foster mom)
  • Sep 15 she came to our home, had fairly soft stool, maybe 1 or 2 that were ok, but for the most part liquid or very soft. Worsened Sunday and Monday (18th and 19th)
  • Sep 19 went to bland chicken and rice. Remained fairly soft, but had 1 or 2 that were really good, then over the next couple days, bad, liquid again
  • Sep 22 Vet visit. Stool negative for parasites, flagyl prescribed, bland diet maintained

It just went downhill from there. Her output is just about pure liquid. I started Imodium yesterday morning, and she's had 3 doses... and her output is even worse if possible. That just makes me think that it's not a motility thing, but purely absorption.

Things we've tried also include Olewo carrots and Rx Clay. Neither has had any apparent effect (well the carrots turned her poop orange), and at this point, I just want to stop all meds and additives. I'm also thinking about stopping the chicken and rice, since it's not helping and I'm wondering if she could have a chicken sensitivity, even though she did have some good poop while on it. Right now, it's all awful.

Where do we go from here? I have a FU 5 doses of Panacur to start next week (3 weeks after first round), but I don't know what to think right now.

She's happy, active, and extremely hungry!

Thanks for any input!

Edited by MnMDogs

I'm sorry that you are having this issue.

Try hamburger and white rice or hamburger and mashed potatoes (Wegman's has 90% hamburger for 2.99 a pound) . Make sure that the hamburger is about 90% otherwise, there will be too much fat. Add some fiber (not much) like mashed up cooked green beans, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup. Also give some cooked oatmeal (the 5-minute type, not the instant) as that also has fiber - about 5 tablespoons. When I fostered dogs that had diarrhea, it would take about 2 to 3 days to start seeing improvements in the poop (if it was going to improve) from the addition of the fiber.

The hamburger and rice is bland and should settle GI issues, the oatmeal and the green beans will add fiber which should bulk up the poop. If you are not seeing any improvement in a few days (5 or so) switch the hamburger out and add a white fish - most dogs do not have allergies to fish but, no guarantee. Walmart has a 4 pound bag of frozen tilapia for $12.00.

Some people add pumpkin but, that didn't seem to be as effective with my dogs as the oatmeal. But, if you make your own dog treats, make some pumpkin ones.

My Larry had an awful sensitivity to chicken and noodles and could not have any at all - would get liquid poop. He also had an issue when he got too much protein so he was on a limited protein diet.

Carol, please take this only as information to consider, and check with your vet before considering. Our rescue told us to give our new foster girl (more about that later) Metronidazole for five days with food: 1/2 a 500 mg tablet (250 mg) morning and evening, to prevent diarrhea. So far this seems to be working well for us, but we have only had her since Saturday.

Here is a link about veterinary use: http://www.akc.org/content/health/articles/metronidazole-for-dogs/

So sorry to hear you and Flutter are having to go through this, but am so happy she is feeling well. Please keep us posted. :grouphug

BIG OOPs! Just reread your first note and saw Flagyl was already prescribed by your vet. Just wanted to be helpful...

Edited by Roux

Thanks for your response, Mary Jane. I'll grab some hamburger later today.

Do you think that I should continue the Imodium and Flagyl since neither seems to be having an effect. Is the fiber in the oatmeal and green beans better than what she was gettin gin the Olewo carrots? Oh, I'm also giving her probiotics.

Carol, please take this only as information to consider, and check with your vet before considering. Our rescue told us to give our new foster girl (more about that later) Metronidazole for five days with food: 1/2 a 500 mg tablet (250 mg) morning and evening, to prevent diarrhea. So far this seems to be working well for us, but we have only had her since Saturday.

Here is a link about veterinary use: http://www.akc.org/content/health/articles/metronidazole-for-dogs/

So sorry to hear you and Flutter are having to go through this, but am so happy she is feeling well. Please keep us posted. :grouphug

Thank you for this link Miriam!

My vet prescribed 500 mg flagyl, and I thought that may be too much since the last bottle we have is 250mg (that was for Macy last year and she was 10 pounds heavier than Flutter)

And congratulations!! :)

From my perspective, I would continue the flagyl but, I probably would not continue the Immodium. The Flagyl is a general purpose anti-inflammatory and antibiotic for the intestines so, you will need the probiotics but, whatever you are giving now is not likely going to survive to repopulate the GI tract but, I would still keep on giving as it will not hurt. I can't remember the dosage of Flagyl - check online or call back the vet and reconfirm the dosage.

From what I looked at, the oleo carrots are about 17% fiber, green beans are about 26% in a can - BUT, be careful of these figures - they are not apples to apples. I was not able to find any grams of fiber per cup for the oleweo carrots - I was only able to find a percentage. Looking at green beans, the only percentage #'s that I could find were for the can and that does not take into consideration the amount of water - again, the numbers are not apples to apples.

This link goes to the Mayo clinic and gives some #s for fiber. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/high-fiber-foods/art-20050948

One last note, do not give beans (like black beans, lentils, and so one) while you are trying to get to some baseline with the diarrhea as some dogs cannot tolerate and can get gas (gas could resemble bloat).

I noticed that you are in Mass - where are you located? I'm in Westwood which is south of Boston.

During Conner's recent diarrhea/soft stool episodes, Tylan powder worked pretty well for him, and I used oatmeal instead of rice or pasta just because he likes it better :) I hope you can get your poor girl's digestion sorted!

Edited by Remolacha

Things I would do: definitely keep up the Flagyl, definitely keep on a de-worming program (it may take three or four doses to clear a stubborn infestation), definitely stop the chicken and rice and switch up the protein and carb sources, I would add a good probiotic (probably the rx Forti Flora from the vet).

I would not be worrying too much about the fiber content of the food at this point. Find something he can tolerate first. I would also fast him for at least two meals, until the diarrhea stops, before restarting with a new bland diet.

Has the vet tested him for bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks for the info Mary Jane.

I'm in Malden, just north of the city- recently relocated back from CA :)

Do you ever go on the weekend greyhound walks?

I used to go on the Greyhound Adventures walks but, when Lucy got seizures, my going out with other dogs stopped unless I thought it would be a situation that I had control over. Now that she is better controlled with the seizures, she has corns ... always something.