Sign in to follow this  
macoduck

Coupler For Martingale And Harness

Anyone use a coupler for the martingale collar and the harness?

My foster needs some extra escape proofing and I didn't want to use 2 leashes.

Have you experiences any difficulty using a coupler?

And do you know a source for a coupler? Looks like I'd need one that was 3-4" long.

Charlie the iggy, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella)
Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

We got this for our 2 dogs. The rope is not that big (not the biggest climbing ropes!) so you can easily make a knot into it and carry it around like a single leash.

Personally, I love those leashes

http://mountaindogproducts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=21

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

We used to do it all the time, mostly because none of our dogs were comfortable walking just attached to the harness. Once we connected the collar and the harness with a coupler they walked much better. I just got webbing couplers to match their harnesses, the 3 inch length. Most pet stores carry them.

For your girl, a spook harness might be a better way to go.

http://www.majesticcollars.com/harness.htm

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

TwoHounds and Majestic Hounds.

Ann at Majestic made our two. I think we were the first one to think about coupling the collar and harness together for added safety with a spook. I remember that Ann and I had some chats about how to make them. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
So many right-winged Christians...so few lions.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Ann at Majestic made our two. I think we were the first one to think about coupling the collar and harness together for added safety with a spook. I remember that Ann and I had some chats about how to make them. :)

Ditto. I have 2 Ann made as well. Very pleased with them!

I have a simple coupler from Petco or Petsmart. I used it on my girl when I first got her and was getting to know her. She was slightly spooky, but isn't really anymore. I attached it to the harness & martingale for extra security very easily. I also kept a tag collar on, and a carabiner clip on the leash. Some think I go a little overboard, You can never be too careful :lol

Jen, Tessa & Raspberry
Forever in my heart, my boys: Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky & Wylie
www.greyhoundadventures.org

We use this all the time with our new Galgos. We needed one in a hurry so bought it at PetSmart. It's the red one in this picture of Hero, the day he arrived here. It's a bit big, we have a shorter one now.

Hero%20back%20yard_zpsr7hrdzde.jpg

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael, Galgos: Lucas, Baltasar, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo and Salvo the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules and Marco.

Tin, I presume the coupler is the red one? Jennifer, is that what you use? I may have used the wrong terminology but what I wanted was the piece about 3"to 4" long to join collar to harness. Majestic Hounds has it. :)

Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Yes, the red piece. However I attach it to the top of the harness, so it stretches further - it's also adjustable.

Yes, I attach it to the same D-ring as the leash. I believe mine are 6 or 8 inches and both ends have trigger snaps. :) I don't think mine are adjustable. Also we have two, black for the boys and HOT pink for the girls. The trigger may be an overkill, but safety is priority. And go the the gusto and just go big!! :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
So many right-winged Christians...so few lions.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I use a Spook Harness and a collar combo but a normal hound harness would be just fine. I bought a leather strap with hooks on both sides and attach one to the collar and one to my leash. The leash attaches to the harness. That way, if there was a failure of one clip the other would still be attached to the leash as well. The coupler would work pretty much the same way.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

All good suggestions.

For yesterday's jaunt I used 2 carbiners to connect from collar to harness.

tiny hada siggy.png

Old thread but I found this on a search and am looking for some advice. Does anyone know where to get these things (collar coupler and spook harness) for a non-grey? It would be for a smallish mixed mutt.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Ditto. Got my 2 from Ann.

Old thread but I found this on a search and am looking for some advice. Does anyone know where to get these things (collar coupler and spook harness) for a non-grey? It would be for a smallish mixed mutt.

My experience is with a spooky, tiny greyhound, but I wouldn't hesitate to do the same with a smallish mutt. We have used a Freedom Harness from 2houndsdesign with a Martingale collar. We connected the two with a caribiner and extra leash buckle.

Here are some pics of her red collar/harness for reference.

20170111_160734_zpsexn5dviq.jpg

20170629_211800_zpsyaq2jgoe.jpg

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Most decent sized pet stores sell them.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I went ever further. I got a small length of chain and two sturdy clips. One end clips to a martingale and the other end to her harness. She looks like a bad ass but it keeps her safe. I was thinking if getting a collar cover to cover the chain.