Fresh Off The Track And House Breaking

Guest JF3662

Hi, everyone. I'm new to this forum, but not a new greyhound owner. Our last hound passed several months ago and we just rescued a beautiful female fresh off the track. She is 2 years old and a very sweet girl, however, she urinates wherever she happens to be when she gets excited. She can last all day in her crate and through the night. Its when we go to open her crate or let her out of my son's room in the morning she squats. Is this normal behavior for a new greyhound? Oh, and there is a certain spot in the house that she goes poop. We've only had her for 4 days. Any tips? Thanks

First, let me say, under no circumstances, should you ever bend over naked in front of a greyhound.

Second, I'm sure you're already doing this, but get her out of her crate and outside every few hours and then praise her when she does go outside. She'll get there, everything is still so new and different and she's never had to ask someone to go outside, so she doesn't know how. Lots and lots of potty breaks until she gets it.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

If she's peeing from getting over excited it's because she's young and probably very unsure of her surroundings. Rule of thumb, take her out immediately upon opening the crate. You can put her on leash to get her to the door. As for pooping, make sure you clean the spot good and when you see her headed for that spot, ask her if she needs to go potty and take her outside. She's young so should learn quickly that outside is for potty. Praise her immediately after she goes.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Good advice above. When we have a newbie, we go out a LOT. Always positive, no punishment or harsh words, just upbeat and cheerful. For poop, you should be starting to get a sense of when she probably has to go so you know when to keep her outside longer. Best luck, and congratulations on your new addition!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks, everyone. The problem is that she pees as soon as she see me or anyone else approaching her crate, with or without a leash. Always turn my back when she does it and then take her out and rewarded for doing her business outside. Today, after immediately peeing in her crate, on the floor and on her new bed in the family room, I took her outside. She pooped and was praised and rewarded. I brought her back in and while I was cleaning her mess, she disappeared and pooped in the same spot. I get that she is young, but I never had this issue with my previous hound. Its frustrating, but we will get through it.

You may have to keep her attached to you (leashed) for a time, so she can't disappear.

How long is she usually in her crate, before she is let out of it again? If she does it even after just a short time, it might be worth playing some crate games while you are home -- ask her to go in, treat, let her come back out ... many times in a row. Then shut her in for 5 minutes and let her out ... many times in a row. Then shut her in, leave the room, come back in 5 minutes and let her out ... many times in a row. Something like a Kong with peanutbutter (just a little smear!) in the crate might help her keep calmer too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yes, it's a real thing. If you think that might be it, you can hedge your bets by never approaching her face first (turn your shoulder toward the crate and look away somewhere), and/or by getting down on the floor before you open her crate.

Thanks, Batmom. I think we're making some progress with your suggestions. We'll keep chipping away with it. The good news is she is making friends with the cats and took to the stairs like a champ. Cappie is such a sweet girl. Thanks again.

Good news :) .

Scritchies to your sweet girlie!

Whenever we get a new greyhound, I keep a leash on him (her) and keep them in arms reach of wherever I am. Sort of an umbilical cord. I take a new dog out every two hours during the day. She is young and very new. They are all smart dogs and she will get it soon. Good luck with your new girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds