Friend's Greyhound Pees Indoors Whenever He Visits - Help!

Did he do this before his accident and amp? If not, I wonder if there is a connection. Poor guy - sounds like he has had a rough go of things.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Did he do this before his accident and amp? If not, I wonder if there is a connection. Poor guy - sounds like he has had a rough go of things.

It's hard to say because he was hit by a car only a month after my friend adopted him. He was really still just getting acclimated to life as a pet. He definitely has had a hard start to home life, but now he is happy as a clam and loves to run and play with all other dogs. :)

Loving life with my first greyhound Max (4 year old dark brindle boy)! :wub:

Check out our hiking blog! www.greythikes.blogspot.com

I'm not positive if she went out with him or not, but I know Miles isn't a marker from experience (we have been on many walks together with our two hounds). He just has one big pee and is done until the next one, whereas Max has a bladder of steel but marks (outdoors, not indoors, thank goodness!) like crazy. So Miles' indoor accidents are full pees as well. It happens often when she is home with him. I don't think he suffers from separation anxiety or that that is a trigger for his urination - he's peed right in front of me, my boyfriend, our greyhound, and our friend, and I hear about more instances of him peeing while she's home than of her coming home to a mess.

I don't think she's considering rehoming him. She is still paying off vet bills from his accident earlier this year when he got hit by a car (resulting in many surgeries and eventually having to amputate his leg). I think that's why she doesn't want to accrue more vet bills, which I understand, but it's obvious to me that there is a real problem with Miles. I hope to have better news on this subject soon.

Yeah, I agree. What you are describing isn't really normal dog behavior and she'd have to be failing pretty miserably at house training to have these issues. I really suspect a medical issue.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

New update: Miles' owner is taking him back to the vet this week to get a full blood panel/check for cancer. Hopefully we should have an answer soon.

Ugh. Frustrating news. The vet refused to do the full blood panel, stating that she doesn't think it's necessary, as Miles seems to be overall healthy and not "dribbling" urine. She thinks it is a behavioral issue.

Ugh. Frustrating news. The vet refused to do the full blood panel, stating that she doesn't think it's necessary, as Miles seems to be overall healthy and not "dribbling" urine. She thinks it is a behavioral issue.

What?!! :jaw Time for a new vet! There is ZERO reason to refuse a test that has no risk if the client wants to pay for it. I'm appalled. Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

New vet. ASAP. Who is the adoption group? If it's not GPI, call GPI for a vet recommendation immediately.

We used Lien Animal Clinic when we lived in Seattle. They are located in West Seattle and are fantastic. http://www.lienanimal.com

Fenway was peeing inside. We ran all the tests and even put him on ABs just in case. The only thing off was his USG (urine specific gravity). I pushed for more tests and my vet recommended an ultrasound. Turns out Fenway was diagnosed with "minor kidney damage of an unspecified origin" when he was about 5 or 6.

At that point we made sure he always always always had access to both a dog door and extra water at all times. We bought extra water bowls because he could never be without fresh water. We monitored his blood and urine every six months for a while, then every three months after he turned 8. We lost him to the kidney disease one week before his 10th birthday.

Please get blood work and an ultrasound for this pup.

Also, how did he get hit by a car? Had he gotten loose?

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

New vet. ASAP. Who is the adoption group? If it's not GPI, call GPI for a vet recommendation immediately.

We used Lien Animal Clinic when we lived in Seattle. They are located in West Seattle and are fantastic. http://www.lienanimal.com

Fenway was peeing inside. We ran all the tests and even put him on ABs just in case. The only thing off was his USG (urine specific gravity). I pushed for more tests and my vet recommended an ultrasound. Turns out Fenway was diagnosed with "minor kidney damage of an unspecified origin" when he was about 5 or 6.

At that point we made sure he always always always had access to both a dog door and extra water at all times. We bought extra water bowls because he could never be without fresh water. We monitored his blood and urine every six months for a while, then every three months after he turned 8. We lost him to the kidney disease one week before his 10th birthday.

Please get blood work and an ultrasound for this pup.

Also, how did he get hit by a car? Had he gotten loose?

My friend adopted through Royal Hounds - my boyfriend and I adopted through GPI, so I'm familiar with the organization, but my friend isn't. She told Royal Hounds about the problems she was having with Miles and they told her to get the bloodwork done. All that vet was willing to do was another urine culture.

My friend lives in North Seattle, almost as far as Shoreline. I'll recommend Lien Animal Clinic to her for sure, thank you. I really think she needs a better vet.

The car accident happened about a month after his adoption - my friend dropped his leash to break up a dog fight (she's a dog walker, it was two client dogs, she was walking all three dogs at the same time), Miles got spooked by a man coming to help break up the fight and he ran from Queen Anne to Westlake where he got hit by a car.

I think it would be worth a call to GPI to ask for vet recommendations in her area if Lien is too far.

I have a gut feeling that this isn't entirely behavioral. Just like with my Fenny. Lots of people shrugged it off as behavioral but I pushed for answers. I'm glad I did.

I'm sorry to hear what happened to the poor guy. QA to Westlake is quite the haul!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I think it would be worth a call to GPI to ask for vet recommendations in her area if Lien is too far.

I have a gut feeling that this isn't entirely behavioral. Just like with my Fenny. Lots of people shrugged it off as behavioral but I pushed for answers. I'm glad I did.

I'm sorry to hear what happened to the poor guy. QA to Westlake is quite the haul!

Thanks for the advice - sorry to hear that you lost Fenway at a relatively young age, but I'm sure he gave you a lifetime's worth of good memories. :beatheart

I'm going to continue encouraging my friend to pursue the medical problem route and I hope she listens to all of the great feedback I've gotten from everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates?

Not at the moment. We've been out of town, then dealing with some health issues of the human variety, so I haven't been too much in touch with my friend who has Miles. I will definitely update if I hear any news about him pertaining to this, though!