Greyhound Body Talk

Wendy is the only Greyhound I have ever shared my life with so I'm wondering - are Greyhounds, in general, very expressive in their body language, facial expressions and vocalizations? I've lived with myriad breeds and have never even met another dog that "talks" so much! Wendy uses every inch of her body and vocal range to get her message across. Play bowing, head bobbing, foot stomping, stuffy tossing, Greynosis (staring at you until you comply), whining, woo-wooing, various types of barks including a whisper-like one (who taught her that?!), all with different meanings. We're pretty good at deciphering what she means with her "talk" but, sometimes, we make believe we don't understand just to aggravate her and see what silliness ensues. :hehe

Do your Greys "talk"? :ghplaybow

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Max talks mostly to Logan. Like when Max has a bone and Logan is anywhere in the room, Max lets out these plaintive barks that sound like "get awaaaaay!". Or on our walks, when Logan gets lazy and lies down and Max wants to keep going, he gets agitated and eventually stars barking at Logan as if to say "Come oooonnnn already!". It is hilarious to watch.

They "talk" with me as well, but nearly not as much as Wendy apparently does. Max is effective at communicating that he wants is evening peanut butter, and Logan is a leaner -- he likes to lean against me. Logan doesn't make much noise and actually doesn't communicate too well, but over time I have gotten to know what he wants. Like after a walk he will just lie down -- but as soon as I sit on the couch he jumps on to get petted. Hew wants that, even expects it, but will not do anything to ask for it.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

I suspect that greyhounds are more adept at body language because they are kept with their dams/litters/other dogs longer than non-racing dogs, which are typically parted from their dams/littermates by 8-12 weeks. These guys are always with other dogs and have to be able to speak/read dog in order to get along. I suspect many of them do it with humans, too, though some are more subtle than others. Of the three I've had, Turbo and Heyokha were/are demonstrative and actively try to communicate. With Heyokha, when you speak to him, it's like holding a conversation. His ears prick up and he reacts to what you're saying to him. There's not a whole lot going on between Crow's ears, but he's handsome and sweet, so we just chuckle at his blank stares. :lol

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I suspect that greyhounds are more adept at body language because they are kept with their dams/litters/other dogs longer than non-racing dogs, which are typically parted from their dams/littermates by 8-12 weeks. These guys are always with other dogs and have to be able to speak/read dog in order to get along. I suspect many of them do it with humans, too, though some are more subtle than others. Of the three I've had, Turbo and Heyokha were/are demonstrative and actively try to communicate. With Heyokha, when you speak to him, it's like holding a conversation. His ears prick up and he reacts to what you're saying to him. There's not a whole lot going on between Crow's ears, but he's handsome and sweet, so we just chuckle at his blank stares. :lol

That's a great observation, turbotaina. Perhaps my other dogs were not raised around their dam/sibs and thus did not become fluent in the language of Dog! And, yes! With Wendy, it's like holding a conversation, perhaps with a non-native English speaker...you can just see the wheels turning in her little pointed head trying so very hard to understand what we're saying.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Wendy uses every inch of her body and vocal range to get her message across. Play bowing, head bobbing, foot stomping, stuffy tossing, Greynosis (staring at you until you comply), whining, woo-wooing, various types of barks including a whisper-like one (who taught her that?!), all with different meanings.

Wendy sounds like a pure delight! I know you are enjoying every minute of her demonstrative interaction. Thanks so much for the wonderful and vivid description of her communication!

Wendy sounds like a pure delight! I know you are enjoying every minute of her demonstrative interaction. Thanks so much for the wonderful and vivid description of her communication!

Hi, Roux! Yes, my girl has been bringing us pure joy for going on 9 years, now. Last night, she was "complaining" because DH was talking to me and not paying homage to her. Wendy was curled up on the recliner next to us, needle-nose pointed towards the ceiling, emitting sub-sonic, staccato barks and "thumping' the chair with her entire, bony body as we purposely ignored her and snickered.

That's a great observation, turbotaina. Perhaps my other dogs were not raised around their dam/sibs and thus did not become fluent in the language of Dog! And, yes! With Wendy, it's like holding a conversation, perhaps with a non-native English speaker...you can just see the wheels turning in her little pointed head trying so very hard to understand what we're saying.

I've thought for years that may be why greyhounds are attacked so often by other breeds/mutts. Racers learned 'dog' whle they were growing up, while MOST puppies (ones separated from their mom/litter at a young age) don't learn 'dog' and don't understand dogs who do... just a thought...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I've thought for years that may be why greyhounds are attacked so often by other breeds/mutts. Racers learned 'dog' whle they were growing up, while MOST puppies (ones separated from their mom/litter at a young age) don't learn 'dog' and don't understand dogs who do... just a thought...

Makes sense...I wonder if this "language" issue is what makes Wendy act like the fun police. She'll get in my son's and MIL's dogs faces and bark at them, not aggressively at all, but rather shrilly. We've always interpreted this as Wendy scolding the young'un's for inappropriate (in her view) behavior. They ignore her completely and go right on doing what they were doing. What an interesting topic this is turning out to be! Thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts.

Does Wendy "chatter"? Johnny does it, especially when a card ride is imminent. He has started doing it when snuggling on my lap, so funny! :beatheart

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I love the whisper bark, we also get the whisper Roo howl. The dog trainer we used told me to say a word when he does that, so if he ever starts to bark, we can use that word to get whisper barks. I can now get him to whisper roo by a hand gesture. LOL

He knows not to wake up my husband on the weekend, so he whisper barks and whines then.

Very expressive dogs, and with practice I've been able to tell what he wants and if he's hurting or sickly.

I found out that he will bark at me if I try and roo with a raspy voice (ive got a cold). He doesnt like the sound. hahaha! He also will try to sing scales and will roo along to Sarah Brightman or the three tenors. He's an opera pup.

Does Wendy "chatter"? Johnny does it, especially when a card ride is imminent. He has started doing it when snuggling on my lap, so funny! :beatheart

Yes!! This is a relatively new thing...maybe in the last year she has started to chatter so loudly that it sounds like castanets!

Greynosis (staring at you until you comply),

:lol

Eve was not particularly vocal, but she was an extremely effective communicator with her facial and full-body language. I didn't need the services of an animal communicator -- Eve could tell me her wants and opinions just fine. Jeter vocalizes a lot, but I don't always know what he's trying to communicate.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

:lol

Eve was not particularly vocal, but she was an extremely effective communicator with her facial and full-body language. I didn't need the services of an animal communicator -- Eve could tell me her wants and opinions just fine. Jeter vocalizes a lot, but I don't always know what he's trying to communicate.

Like humans, I guess each Greyhound has his/her method and level of effectiveness when it comes to the ability to communicate . I don't know a whole lot, but I do know this for sure...these dogs are rare and special creatures each in his/her way. I am blessed and humbled to have been chosen by Wendy (because she chose me, not I her) to share my life with her. Joy is living with a Greyhound. :beatheart