Inner Eyelid Issue

NeylasMom

Any idea what's going on here and whether I should be concerned? Violet's eye looked bloodshot, then I noticed the inner eyelid part looks strange.

Weird eye:

0919161910a_zpsrtzw0w9j.jpg

Normal eye for comparison:

0919161911_zpsez4fnsdp.jpg

The inner eyelid part just looks red and inflamed (slightly swollen even?) on that left eye and is covering more of the eye than is normal.

She isn't bugging it, though she is scratching the ear on that side of her head a bit more than normal.

I have AB/steroid eye cream I could apply. I also have a little Apoquel leftover from when her face swelled up. I'm hesitant to do anything other than keep an eye on it (presuming it doesn't get worse overnight) for fear of doing the wrong thing, but input welcome.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My guess is she rubbed it and caused some irritation, or something bothered it (allergic reaction or conjunctivitis). I wouldn't panic yet - my guys regularly go through bloodshot eyes, especially Heyokha. H's nictitating membrane frequently looks like that, but it resolves on its own (or, when spring allergies are around, with Benadryl). At any rate, I wouldn't put anything in it unless specifically recommended by a vet. Maybe give an antihistamine and see if that helps?

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thanks. I think I will just keep an eye on it and unless it starts bothering her, not do anything. I am just hyper-reactive at the moment to anything medical with the girls. :(

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Fenway's looks like that sometimes and I've never done a ting about it. You can decide if that makes me a bad dog mom, but as far as I can tell it's not an issue at all.

No need to hit the panic button.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Fenway's looks like that sometimes and I've never done a ting about it. You can decide if that makes me a bad dog mom, but as far as I can tell it's not an issue at all.

No need to hit the panic button.

:lol Thanks. I do not think you are a terrible dog mom so this is helpful. ;)

My Hashtag Pasadena sometimes gets red eyes. But I have noticed it is more at times after she has done some serious hole digging or after a bath. She seems slightly more sensitive than by boy. It usually goes away in a few days. You could ask your vet for eye drops for the irritation to see if it clears up the issue. If not than I would take her to the eye doctor at the Hope Center in Rockville, Maryland. They have an eye doctor there that could help you for sure.

You can try to put in Natural Tears to help (over the counter, the best stuff to use - don't use anything else like Visine, etc.) My guys got them when their eyes were dry....just needed a little help. It's not something I regularly use, just when they need a little extra umph. Dirt easily gets in there....

You don't want to put ANY steroid med in the eye without first knowing what's going on. You could make a problem worse. Natural Tears is innocuous.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I am starting to wonder if that's just how her eye has always looked. :lol The inner eyelid is still more visible on that left eye, but it doesn't appear bloodshoot like it did. When she was sleeping yesterday she was conveniently doing it with her head on my arm so I could study the eyelid in detail as it covered her eye :P and there was an area that didn't look smooth. So I don't know, maybe something happened when the girls were playing, a tooth or claw scratched it? Going to just continue to keep an eye on it for now. Thanks for checking in.

That's how Heyokha's always looks - the amount of the membrane visible, that is. Allergies make it redder, but it's pretty much always like that. :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

That's how Heyokha's always looks - the amount of the membrane visible, that is. Allergies make it redder, but it's pretty much always like that. :)

Thanks. The one on her other eye is dark, and not as visible, but I'm thinking the most likely is the 2 just look different and it was just irritated from something. I will not run to the vet just yet. :P