Thunderstorm - Its Been Hours And She's Still Out Of Sorts

Guest OldMagolia

Guest OldMagolia

We had a thunderstorm this morning and my new ex-racer is acting strange. I've had her for 30 days now and she usually is attached to me like Velcro. But after the storm (and it was not a bad one, just lots of rain) she's not acting right. And while the rain was coming down she asked to go outside - this is the first rain since I've gotten her. So I got an umbrella and we headed out. When I put up the umbrella she freaked - felt like I had a marlin on the line. I eventually had to chuck the umbrella into the bushes so she'd calm down.

But she never really did. We got back inside and she wandered the house - ill at ease, sniffing (nose high in the air). She didn't care where I was - which is not like her, she usually follows me everywhere.

When I got home for lunch (my boyfriend is retired and he cares for the dogs during the day) my greyhound was not acting like herself. The weather by that time was fine - nothing going on. The first thing I noticed was she didn't care where I went, she did not follow, she seemed ill at ease, her jaws were kind of going, her nose high in the air sniffing, and like Chicken Little she kept looking up like the sky was going to crash down. I did take her outside and she was fine but very quiet and not playful (her usual self). I offered her some meat as a treat - she took it but not like she would usually do (with enthusiasm). She wanted to stay on the porch - she laid down so that her head was away from me and she wouldn't look at me. I gently petted her and talked to her. Nothing.

I'm at a loss at how to offer her solace. Or should I just ignore her and hope she snaps out of it? She is so ill at ease. My boyfriend just called and said she's not acting any better and won't come into the house. The storm happened in the early morning hours and its now past 3p. I simply don't know what's wrong.

Any advice?

for your own sanity check the location of storms. weather bug has SPARK app which scans the sky and gives you the location of lightening hits. your dog knows what's going on w/ storms, but you may as well know, thus the suggestion.

there are tons of suggestions as to dealing w/ dogs that are sensitive to electrical storms. it's hit or miss, my dog found the bathroom comforting. when we travel and camp and there is a crazy storm, that's another story. lots of dogs react, mine try to stay out if they can in storms, but i don't let them. one barks at thunder the other just acts weirder. i bring them in, put some marshmallows(many were trained w/ them) on the crazy one's safe space(the bathroom) and let nature take it's course. Annie is not too happy, but safe and quiet(not pacing) hanging out in the bathroom. The tub works for her as well, but we found out she prefers it w/o a bed.13924929_1224256537593660_6213678114916714034944_1224256430927004_79256083391533

I completely agree with cleptogrey - my greys have known well before I do when the storm is coming. I would say that she was stressed about the storm to begin with and the umbrella sort of was the icing on the cake. She will get back to herself when things go back to normal hopefully. Don't rush her - just let her get herself adjusted. Don't feel she is upset with you. Ignore her if she wants to be ignored and reward her when she comes to you. They can sense when storms are in the air and that is probably what she was doing - and stressing at the prospect of it.

The picture of Annie in the tub brought back memories of my first grey. First indication of a storm and in the tub she went. No bed, blanket, nothing - just the cold hard tub. We could tell the weather by her and when the storming would end. Sure do miss that sweetie pie. My current girl goes in the back bedroom in the corner and there she stays for as long as is necessary.

Always good advice on here. Time and patience will be your friend. Thirty days isn't long to be retired. She'll come around as well as change and morph into another personality as time goes by.

My girl hates my umbrella, or at least it going up and down. If I need one, I go on the front porch, open it up, lay it down and then go back inside to get her, carefully picking up the umbrella on the side away from where she is standing. She still gives it (and me) stink eye, but she tolerates it as long as she doesn't hear that frightful noise just made to scare her of opening and closing.

Lea starts pacing and sniffing when a thunderstorm is approaching - she always knows in advance. When the thunder starts, she trembles and pants like crazy. Usually either my husband or I will curl up next to her and try to soothe her - it helps a bit, but mostly makes us feel better, I think. Luckily she calms quickly when the thunder stops.

Edited by TINMANPDX

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

for your own sanity check the location of storms. weather bug has SPARK app which scans the sky and gives you the location of lightening hits. your dog knows what's going on w/ storms, but you may as well know, thus the suggestion.

there are tons of suggestions as to dealing w/ dogs that are sensitive to electrical storms. it's hit or miss, my dog found the bathroom comforting. when we travel and camp and there is a crazy storm, that's another story. lots of dogs react, mine try to stay out if they can in storms, but i don't let them. one barks at thunder the other just acts weirder. i bring them in, put some marshmallows(many were trained w/ them) on the crazy one's safe space(the bathroom) and let nature take it's course. Annie is not too happy, but safe and quiet(not pacing) hanging out in the bathroom. The tub works for her as well, but we found out she prefers it w/o a bed.13924929_1224256537593660_6213678114916714034944_1224256430927004_79256083391533

Those pics bring back such memories. Our angel Yardman was a thunderphobe. Unfortunately we didn't know it at first. We went out and a t-storm rolled through while we were gone. Got home, couldn't find yardman. Retraced our steps before we left, no way we left him outside. Started looking through the house (it's not big!). Finally a faint *clink* from the bathroom tub, he was there the whole time. *whew* He always knew when storms were coming. Eventually we found he loved our closet best, so we always left a bed in there for him, and the door open if we weren't home.

Memories :heart:

• 2 weeks later...

Our grey always sniffs the air. He'll stand there like a little statue and turn his nose up. I always thought he just liked the smells but maybe he's checking out the weather!

Either way, he gets startled with thunder, and has started to look right at me when he hears it. I usually just look right back and act like its no big deal. Kind of like when a baby falls and you pretend like nothing happened because if you freak out they freak out. Steve is like that, he feeds off our energy like crazy so when theres something new going on i try to be ultra calm.

It sounds like your girl just needs to reset. 30 days isn't very long, she'll come back around don't worry.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried a thundercoat? They are available in many pet stores and Sam's Club. They do not work with all greys, but are effective on some. The trick is to cinch the band pretty tightly. That way the feel cuddled and secure.

I think they go for around $30 to $40. We have fostered many spooks over the years and the coats seem to work well with most of them.

Good Luck with your thunderphobic grey.

Gary