Tell Me About Joint/mobility Supplements

schultzlc

I am interested to hear about what supplements you all buy to aid your hounds' mobility. What do you use and what do you recommend? There are a lot of different products out there with varying reviews, so I would like to know what has worked well for your greyhounds.

Back in the day, my family had our senior greyhound on straight glucosamine/chondroitin supplements that we bought at Sam's Club. It worked pretty well for our old guy, and he still got around pretty well until about 13 1/2.

My Luna will be 10 in May, but she is still galloping around like she did at 3. I'd like to start her on something as a prophylactic. Nova will be 8 in April, but I might as well start with her as well.

Thanks in advance!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

I think Springtime has great products with the best prices (they always have "buy two get two free" deals, which would save you a lot with two hounds). The only downside for me is that Sweep doesn't like any of their products we've tried (Fresh Factors, Joint Health, and Advanced Hip & Joint) even when I crush them up in her food. We switched to Osteo-Pet from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Value-Size-Osteo-Pet-Total-Joint/dp/B008MY35X0) and she is happier, but it would be costly for two girls getting 3 pills a day each. I'd try Springtime first and see how they do.

ETA: All three pets also get fish oil daily--I like both Grizzly and Iceland Pure.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Springtime here too. Fresh Factors and Joint Health. Rocket started taking them when he was about 6 or 7 years old and I have used them since. We definitely saw a difference after starting them. Recently I ran out of Fresh Factors and was leaving for a trip, so didn;t want a box sitting on the porch. I could see that he had much less energy after about 10 days off of the Fresh Factors. I can't explain it, and it's probably more anecdotal than scientific, but their products really do seem to make a difference.

The tablets are scored so that you can break them into smaller pieces. I break them up and put them in his Kong Wobbler treat dispenser, which he plays with until it is totally empty and stops giving him prizes. :bgeorge

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I too have used Springtime Natural Fresh Factors and Joint Health. My boys love them and the company is fantastic. I had an issue that they corrected immediately. I mentioned that I tell people about their products at my meet and greets and two days later I received a letter from the President of the company. He was so pleased to know I was talking to people about their products and he put a $500 credit on my account!! I was blown away. He also asked if he could put my hounds in his catalog. They were in there for about a year and I think they are on the web site.

I use hypericum ( as drops) in the water bowl and as tea leaves over their diet. It is known to help with neurological issues and even can repair nerve damages - and it's 100 percent natural. I try to skip chemics as much as possible.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I use Springtime as well...the Longevity powder which has joint stuff in it already. I don't use as much as suggested on the package because it would be an insane amount of "greens" powder and they wouldn't eat it so I also use a scoop of another product called Wellytails which I really like. https://www.wellytails.com/products/cartilage-hip-joint-dog-rx-supplement-1380-grams

On top of the usual joint ingredients, it also has green lipped mussels and hyaluronic acid. I also do daily omega 3.

My grey is 9 and also doesn't have any signs of arthritis or stiffness yet, but I have had him on these for about 3 years as a preventative. I know a lot of people say that joint meds are a waste of money but I have seen noticeable changes in past dogs so I choose to add them in.

All of mine get Costco's Kirkland brand Glucosamine/MSM (1500mg of each component in one scored tablet) - one am, one pm. Twice a day Bea also gets fish oil and Springtime's Fresh Factors. She's my broken hock corn dog and after starting Fresh Factors there is a distinct improvement in her energy and mobility.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

It really depends on what works with your dog's body chemistry. I haven't had any luck with Springtime products with my greyhounds (worked for my mutts). I had excellent results with Next Level Joint Fluid by Farnam. It was recommended to me by greyhound trainers. I saw really dramatic results within a few weeks in my older girl, moving much better, brighter. Even friends who don't see her more than once a month noticed a marked difference. She's 13 1/2 and still on it and still going strong.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

seeh2o, are you using the liquid or granular? and how much? felix has tried dasaquin, get up and go combo, efac(bovine supplement recommended by my/his chiropractor), costco gluco/msm(dh now takes it) for 6 months at a clip and we saw NO DIFFERENCE???? the amount of gluco is 5k mg, per serving, pretty high and i was wondering how much are you serving per dose. also, your source, is there a canine version or just the equine product? thanks

Springtime is great! Fresh Factors & Joint health... plus, they're a MD company so I like to support them... They're about an hour from me...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I use Springtime, Inc's Joint Health and Fresh Factors too. And just like ozgirl2, since it is a Maryland company, I get my order the next day! :D

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Thank you all for your responses! You've all given me a lot of food for thought, and I have some research to do.

I was looking at this product, Grizzly Joint Aid, as it combines both omega 3s and joint supplements. Link: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=33836 Has anyone tried this specific product?

With the Springtime products, have any of your hounds had any gastro issues after use? I have one hound with a very touchy system, and I'm constantly working to not set it off.

Thanks again!

I have never had a tummy troubles with my Springtime products.

Wonder if Olewo carrots would help, it helps calm the digestive system and helps firm up poops.

Thanks! Yes, the Olewo carrots are great. I always have them on hand in case of tummy upset.

seeh2o, are you using the liquid or granular? and how much? felix has tried dasaquin, get up and go combo, efac(bovine supplement recommended by my/his chiropractor), costco gluco/msm(dh now takes it) for 6 months at a clip and we saw NO DIFFERENCE???? the amount of gluco is 5k mg, per serving, pretty high and i was wondering how much are you serving per dose. also, your source, is there a canine version or just the equine product? thanks

I use the liquid, give 1/4 ounce 2x per day, so 1/2 ounce per dog per day. I just pour it on top of their food, no problems with getting then to eat it at all. I buy it by the gallon through online sales, I usually can get it 20-25% of with free shipping. Amazon and Amazon Prime is way too $$$. It lasts for months with two dogs.

I use hypericum ( as drops) in the water bowl and as tea leaves over their diet. It is known to help with neurological issues and even can repair nerve damages - and it's 100 percent natural. I try to skip chemics as much as possible.

Would it be just as good to give the hypericum pellets daily? If so, what strength and how many?

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

I started with hypericum C6 on a daily basis for 4 weeks and changed to C30 every 4 weeks. In the beginning I needed the C30 every 2 weeks than every 3 until we reached the monthly rythm.

I tried them myself when my back was acting up - since than hypericum for me and no longer pain meds.

Are pellets the same as globuli - little white balls? It's always 5 globuli per dog.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I started with hypericum C6 on a daily basis for 4 weeks and changed to C30 every 4 weeks. In the beginning I needed the C30 every 2 weeks than every 3 until we reached the monthly rythm.

I tried them myself when my back was acting up - since than hypericum for me and no longer pain meds.

Are pellets the same as globuli - little white balls? It's always 5 globuli per dog.

Fascinating, thank you! Yes, the pellets are little white balls, typically 30cc each. How would I give that in terms of dosage for a dog? When you say 30c every 4 weeks, is that daily our once a week for 4 weeks?

I've been pleased with the Springtime products the past year and a half.

Joint Health, and also Fresh Factors.

Another vote for Springtime. I'm actually about to try their Spirulina to see if that helps with Kirby's allergies (which don't seem to be food related as we've tried him on a few different protein sources, grain free, various grains, etc).

I too have used Springtime Natural Fresh Factors and Joint Health. My boys love them and the company is fantastic. I had an issue that they corrected immediately. I mentioned that I tell people about their products at my meet and greets and two days later I received a letter from the President of the company. He was so pleased to know I was talking to people about their products and he put a $500 credit on my account!! I was blown away. He also asked if he could put my hounds in his catalog. They were in there for about a year and I think they are on the web site.

Wot? I received a letter but only $150 :lol In all seriousness, I was blown away to receive a letter and an unsolicited credit.

Edited by sarabz

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Fascinating, thank you! Yes, the pellets are little white balls, typically 30cc each. How would I give that in terms of dosage for a dog? When you say 30c every 4 weeks, is that daily our once a week for 4 weeks?

No, what I tried to say was that I gave 5 pellets of hypericum c30 one time every 4 weeks, like 1st of January, 1st of Febuary, 1st of March and so on.

I like the higher potences because they affect the whole being, physically and psychologically. Hypericum c30 calms the nerves - helps against pain and helps to relax mentally. Not like doping but it takes the peaks out of an axious episode - my boys are more relaxed during thunderstorms and sylvester.

No, what I tried to say was that I gave 5 pellets of hypericum c30 one time every 4 weeks, like 1st of January, 1st of Febuary, 1st of March and so on.

I like the higher potences because they affect the whole being, physically and psychologically. Hypericum c30 calms the nerves - helps against pain and helps to relax mentally. Not like doping but it takes the peaks out of an axious episode - my boys are more relaxed during thunderstorms and sylvester.

Great, thank you! Where do you get the liquid form?

I buy the liquid form at the "Apotheke" (where you buy medicine in Germany. But I also can get it from my vet who works with homeopathic medicine. There are several online sites as well where you can order homeopathic remedies.

It's called hypericum LM 6.

If you want to work with the liquid form I can explain how to use it, because it slightly differs from using the pellet form.

Edited by smurfette