Sleep Deprivation...advice Needed :(

Guest chas2016

Guest chas2016

Trudy I noticed that being told NO or to STOP during the night doesnt work so great with her as she likes even that as the attention and it hasn't helped. So I tried doing the sharp clap instead which worked better, and also distracted her, she would stop and leave it awhile before starting up again.

I think we will get there eventually, she is very clever, she is just perfect in every way it's just night time that is hard, if only we weren't such light sleepers! The white noise machine keeps getting mentioned so I think this is worth a shot, we've not tried one before!

Guest DarkHorse

Is there another room upstairs that you could potentially move her to?

We slept with Araley and Dexter in our room for the first 3 years we had them. Then I moved back home for a bit and there just wasn't space for them. They would whine in the kitchen or living room, but if they were in the spare room, they were fine. Since then, the dogs have always slept in another room unless they need to be immediately supervised (injured, sick, etc).

The trick for us is that they have to be able to see the door to our room from the door to their room. The room has to be on the same floor and the hallway can't have a bend they can't see around. Right now, they're in our office, which has a view straight down the hallway to our bedroom door. Given that, they do settle down, because they can see when we go to bed, see when we get up, and they know we're not going anywhere without them. They can also hear and smell us, but they're far enough away that only the worst of their night restlessness wakes us up (usually pacing and panting because they've got an upset stomach).

For us, this was the perfect balance between being woken up every hour by somebody licking or shifting, or rearranging the bed or whatever, and having them lay downstairs whining and crying because they wanted us there. Nowadays, one or more of them will sometimes go sleep downstairs because they want their own space without the whining and crying, but that took about 6 months to get there.

Guest LazyBlaze

Hi there, I posted this a while back in relation to a similar topic, just reposting. It worked for us! Hope it can help.

Re the sleeping arrangements, what worked for us with a foster whippet was gradually migrating her out of the bedroom using a hierarchy of dog beds: comfiest bed outside the bedroom door, intermediate comfy mat just inside the bedroom and just a plain mat beside the bed. That way she could choose to be beside us, but sure enough the comfort won out in the end. After about a week she would consistently sleep in the bed outside our room, with the door open, and then we started to phase out the other beds altogether and gradually close over the bedroom door. In less than two weeks, viola, whippet sleeping happily in beanbag in hallway with bedroom door closed and humans getting their beauty sleep :bgeorge . I think allowing the dog the choice lets them get used to sleeping a little away from you, but on their own terms. Just make sure that the bed outside your room is the bed of every hound's wildest dreams: pimp up that dog bed! Luxurious comfort is irresistible to most hounds.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gagagrey

When I first adopted my greyhound, Bart, he would move around and wake me at night. Here we are nine years later with the opposite problem...when the alarm goes off, he snuggles closer so I feel guilty about disturbing him and am forced to hit snooze.