Panting In Vehicle

Guest lornemar

Well, what's your question? Is it normal? Yes. Dogs pant it they are too warm, obviously. They also pant (sometimes) if they're either excited or nervous.

Is there anything you can do about it? Only if the dog is panting because it's hot--stop taking the dog in a hot car. If it's for the other reasons, no, there probably isn't, except getting the dog more accustomed to riding in the car.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Jimmy doesn't stop panting from the minute I lift him into the car until I get him out again. It doesn't matter if it is one mile or one hundred, he just doesn't like the car.

Are there any other behaviors? Whining, vomiting, soiling? Reluctance to get in? Not laying or sitting?

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Some dogs just don't travel well. Panting is pretty normal, especially when stressed. As long as the vehicle is cool and the dog is comfortable and has fresh air, panting is not something I would worry about. I have had a few that stood for awhile before finally giving up, laying down, and sleeping.

Short trips can be annoying because of the standing and panting, but I just drive and let the dog do its' thing. :) As I said, for longer trips, my "panters" eventually settle down and sleep. FYI, I drive a van so they are not in my face or down my neck.

As for pooping or puking, it does happen. On a long trip, potty breaks are needed. If you have to pee, your dog does too. Puking in a vehicle is mostly stress related and while messy, not a problem as long as the dog bounces back when your destination is reached.

As I said, I drive and leave the dog alone. I guess you can work on conditioning with short trips around the block or to "fun" places followed by a treat and just gradually drive further. Personally, that is not something I would do. Dogs deal.

Welcome to GT and good luck. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Does she pant just on trips around the city or does she also pant on long rides. My girl is *always* excited to go for a ride and jumps in my SUV easily and then lays down....but she pants all the time if we're doing city driving, with a lot of stops at traffic lights, etc. If we're taking a trip on the open road with no stops, she pants occasionally, and in between sleeps.

Lila pants constantly in the car. She's just SO EXCITED to go for a ride.

I just keep a cloth in the car to wipe up the drips and make sure she gets a good drink of water when we get where we were going.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Mine pants too, even more so in SLOW traffic.. LOL We just make sure he has cool air, and give him drinks when we arrived or at a pit stop along the way for long trips.

He seems rather stimulated by all the things going by the window and not enough time to react or comprehend them. He's excited to get in the car and no whining (unless in LA traffic and crawling along..LOL)

I have a four yr old Greyt who never stops "Panting" while riding in our vehicle. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Most likely there is a solution, but without a better understanding of what's causing the panting, its hard to help. Could be heat, could be car sickness, could be anxiety. We need more info, or you might need someone to observe in person.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It seems pretty normal looking at the other responses. Just be glad that he is not puking or pooping as well. Been there,not fun. I just kept on taking my car sick dog for rides. A 6 hr. Haul to Vermont cured it. Persistence, fresh air in the car and a warm wet rag will get the two of you thru this.