Fleas

schultzlc

The extra hot and sticky summer has led to allout flea heaven in my city. While I know I'm not dealing with an infestation in my home (yet), I have found six fleas on poor Nova over the past couple of weeks. She's gotten some baths and I comb her over with a flea comb, but don't come up with much most of the time. I have also treated my home with DE, Adams spray, and am regularly vacuuming and washing the dog bedding.

Long story short, I don't think Frontline has been doing the trick around here. I would like to try Advantage II to see if it does a better job on the hounds. How long do I need to wait in between treatments? Does it need to be the entire 30 days?

Also, can I use Advantage II and administer another Capstar tablet in the same day?

I feel like every time we go outside, Nova picks up a flea or two. It's just that time of year around here, and I don't want to just quit walking the dogs to avoid them. Luna has somehow avoided this whole situation. Poor Nova has always attracted more bugs, and of course, the little hound does not react well to flea bites and welts up terribly. Half the time, I think they hop on her while we're out, have their meal, then hop off again before we get anywhere.

I hate fleas, but know that, with regular upkeep, this too shall pass.

Thanks in advance!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

We went through this last fall, Frontline Plus no longer works on at least some strains of fleas. Tried Capstar which works great for one day, but that does nothing useful since the larvae then mature and re-infest. My solution was Comfortis -- the day of the first dose was the last time I saw any fleas. It works for one month. I have them now on Trifexis which also does worms, but not unfortunately ticks. Can't say for sure Trifexis works since we did not have a flea infestation to start with, but my understanding is Trifexis has the same active flea-killing ingredient as Comfortis. Others will surely have other suggestions, but I think there is general agreement that Frontline Plus is losing (or lost) effectiveness.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

My vet agrees with you. He said it's the worst flea summer in many years, Advantage does a far better job on fleas than Frontline in my experience. Luckily we don't have ticks in this part of Dallas. When I find a flea everyone gets Advantage, every piece of dog bedding gets washed in hot water and all non washables like the couch are sprayed with Adams.

Capstar makes them abandon ship but that's it. I've only used it on Oklahoma farm dogs. JJing or Tbhounds can tell you if you can use the two the same day. i have used Advantage II more than once a month on vet instructions but sort of worry about pickling my dogs. Maybe someone can help you with ideas to treat your yard.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

If you're open to an oral med instead of topical, I can recommend both Comfortis and Bravecto. We only switched from Comfortis to Bravecto because Bravetco has tick protection too (and it's only given every three months, which is nice). In almost four years with Sweep, we've never found a single flea on her!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

treat the yard!!! dd in texas goes thru this EVERY year. it doesn't matter what she is using, she has mixed breeds so she uses a heart worm/flea med. but as soon as she treats the yard,sterilize the bedding/vacuum like a crazy person or bomb, flea baths and flea comb the situation is under control.

we picked up some very healthy hitchhikers in texas and within 48-72hrs they were dead. i like a mad woman shook out the bedding in the car at night and in the morning- we were traveling home. i also picked thru the dogs at every rest stop. no fleas make it back to ny, and yes, we were using and still use frontline plus. it can be administered every 2-3 weeks. i had purchased some from australia and they have some mean nasty buggers, the instructions were more frequent than our american directions.

when i do bomb it's a last resort, vacuum daily and stick a flea collar in the vacuum cleaner bag or canister if yours doesn't have a bag.

Comfortis is much better than Capstar. Works fast and lasts a month. Here we use Nexguard -- fleas and ticks for a month. Haven't tried Bravecto yet but probably will in future. Even tho we're in the frozen north, Things have a way of hatching out and creeping in year round.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I use the Seresto collar and give Trifexis, Johnny has not experienced any bad side effects from it.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I tried a Seresto collar; my vet says Buck is the first dog in their practice to get fleas while wearing it! Truthfully, I think I brought home some hitchhikers from SC.

I use Nexguard, and he hasn't had a flea or tick all summer.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thank you all for your responses!

I live in a townhouse, and don't have much of a yard to speak of. My dogs get leash walked at least four times each day. I have treated my own yard,but when you live in close quarters, I've discovered that a person's pest control is only as good as their neighbor's. That said, I will stay persistent with the vacuuming, cleaning of bedding, etc. The fact that it is still in the 90s and humid outside is also not working in my favor.

I gave them Capstar when I very first noticed fleas hopping around outside and onto Nova. Since I was going to scour my entire house, I figured I'd start with the hounds. Amazingly enough, Luna has stayed out of this completely. Poor Nova is always the one that picks up critters. I feel pretty good about my house, as fleas tend to love me, and I will be covered in bites when they are present.

Long story short, I bought a four pack of Advantage II to give them a whirl. I may look into pills/chewables in the future. Their last dose of Frontline was about 9 days ago, and I do not want to overdose them. I realize that the spot-ons will not repel fleas, but I want to keep anything that does land on them from becoming a big issue. Does anyone know if I can administer the Advantage II before 30 days, or do I really need to wait a full month?

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

We live in a geographic area very similar to yours, Laura. I know you do not have an indoor flea problem, but I wanted to share this information, just in case you do in the future, or it can help someone else.

Years ago, when we had just two whippets, we had had an extremely mild winter. The spring flea problem was absolutely terrible, and before we knew it, we had a problem in the house. Of course, we immediately treated our dogs with appropriate meds (Frontline at the time), but we were in trouble in the house. We wanted something extremely safe, but effective, and so used a flea IGR (insect growth regulator). We bought a concentrate, which was added to water, then sprayed on floors, under bedding, etc. It dries like water and there is no sticky residue. It does not work on adult fleas, but eliminates eggs and larvae. It does take a few weeks to see significant improvement, but it works very well, and without spreading poison in your environment. We have never had to treat indoors again.

Info from Texas A&M: https://citybugs.tamu.edu/factsheets/biting-stinging/others/ent-3001/ (halfway down the page)

One Product on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Precor-IGR-Regulator-Control-ZOE1010/dp/B0043HXV66

Now, we use Vectra 3D on the dogs, as needed, which takes care of fleas, ticks, etc. We, too, saw that Frontline Plus was losing effectiveness, and our vet confirmed that the fleas were becoming largely immune to it. We need to use Vectra only once or twice an entire season, and I put only half the recommended dose on our sighthounds. That has been completely sufficient for us.

Good luck! I am a real live-and-let-live person, but have a really difficult time thinking that any of those particular varmints (fleas, ticks, mosquitos) should be sharing the earth with me.

Now, we use Vectra 3D on the dogs, as needed, which takes care of fleas, ticks, etc. We, too, saw that Frontline Plus was losing effectiveness, and our vet confirmed that the fleas were becoming largely immune to it. We need to use Vectra only once or twice an entire season, and I put only half the recommended dose on our sighthounds. That has been completely sufficient for us.

I should have said, our vet confirmed that Frontline Plus seems to be losing its effectiveness on fleas on our area.

Just picked up a farm dog from N Florida. Got him to the vet ASAP. covered in fleas and ticks. The tech pulled 200 ticks off the ears. He is covered in small open wounds and gobbled 4 cups of food over 1/2 hour. Capstar was given 8AM and then Nexgard before transporting. My 13yo just passed Labor Day weekend and only had 1 or 2 ticks at Sandy Paws. Question! Are these tiny ticks on my kitchen floor dying or moving to higher grounds? After 46 foster hounds , I am starting to rethink this job

Just picked up a farm dog from N Florida. Got him to the vet ASAP. covered in fleas and ticks. The tech pulled 200 ticks off the ears. He is covered in small open wounds and gobbled 4 cups of food over 1/2 hour. Capstar was given 8AM and then Nexgard before transporting. My 13yo just passed Labor Day weekend and only had 1 or 2 ticks at Sandy Paws. Question! Are these tiny ticks on my kitchen floor dying or moving to higher grounds? After 46 foster hounds , I am starting to rethink this job

Get a dirt cheap shower curtain and Capstar. As stated it doesn't work proactively but on farm dogs it's like a flea circus watching them abandon ship. I doused my Bella (from a pound in OK) and a tick ridden pittie in Adams and pulled ticks off with tweezers in batches of fifty then tossed them in alcohol. Both times I quit counting at 200.Then you start with a clean slate with something else .

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Treating the yard only works if you can stop other critters from coming in. Most yard sprays ONLY work while wet, so once a flea ridden possum or raccoon is in your yard, more fleas. Nemotoads(sp?) work, those little worms you put in the grass but you need to keep the soil moist.

We use nexgard for fleas and tick issues.

IF the dog was treated with nexgard the ticks should be dying, but I'd put them in bleach or alcohol so they can't crawl away. Poor pup!