Distal Axonopathy (Long Nerve Disease)

MaryJane

Lucy (10 years old)had a visit to to her neurologist and he noted that she has a bit of high stepping on her rear legs. She also has corns on the rear feet so it was a bit hard to determine what the cause was. He thinks that it is probably Distal Axonopathy and could eventually also affect her throat (LP). Right now we are on watch and see .....

My question is - has anyone had a dog with this diagnosis affecting the rear legs and what was the prognosis of the disease?

I have no experience with DA, but I do with LP. Percy is on Doxepin (off label use) and he no longer is gasping for air.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

No problem eating, even with only having his 2 lower canines left.

Before the Doxepin he was gasping for air just standing there and worse with exertion. His LP was a bit of a sudden onset. A few months prior he had a dental with extractions (and Amicar since hewas a bleeder) and he had no sign of it then.

Do you think your boy sees the food, wants the food, but can't tell it's in his mouth? Or is it definitely a not swallowing it issue? Does he do the same with water?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Lucy loves her food but for a period a bit over 2 years ago, she was scattering it all over the floor when she was eating. I took videos because I thought it was the onset of LP which is a side effect of one of the seizure meds she is on. After much deliberation with the neurologist and the internist vet, the conclusion was that the seizure med (KBr) likely caused IBD (another possible side effect of the seizure med) which in effect meant that she was not getting enough nutrition and was hungry. She was switched off that med to another and was placed on a white fish diet along with probiotics and Vitamin B12 shots and the scattering of food diminished over a period of a few months.

It's funny that you mention the extractions - Lucy's vet back in January wanted to remove many teeth while she was under anesthesia for her dental and I asked her to just get x-rays and we'll decide later which teeth will get removed. Since she is a seizure dog, I wanted to keep her time under anesthesia to a bare minimum.