New Food, Weight Loss?

Guest rachel2025

Guest rachel2025

When we adopted Heart in June, she was eating Purina One Lamb and Rice, but having soft stools and gnawing on her feetsies at night. Our vet suggested a couple of other brands, and after two months of experimentation, we have landed on Zignature Lamb kibble. This is a pretty high-calorie food, and suggests much smaller servings than anything we've used before. I did the math to match calorie count of her last food, and am feeding her more than is recommended. The problem is that she seems to be getting a little ribby to me. I took her to get weighed a couple of weeks ago and she'd dropped a couple pounds. She was at 58.5 from 61.

Has anybody had this experience with a higher protein food? Her poops are pretty magnificent on the new food, the paw-chewing is down, and her coat is softer, but I certainly don't want to starve my baby girl!! Should I try feeding her even more?

Bag recommends 2 2/3 - 2 4/5 cups for 60-80lb dogs and I am already feeding 3.25 cups (total, over three feedings -- the lady likes breakfast, lunch and dinner).

Thank you!

rachel

p.s. Trying to post a pic but cannot remember how!

Do you know what her racing weight was? It could be possible she was a tad overweight before. Most animals, like people, tend to lose weight when they cut out large amounts of carbs and eat more protein. My cat lost weight being switched to a diet like this (in a good way as she was overweight). It is okay to see some ribs, but if she has lost 2 lbs already she may also need more food. The amount you are feeding seems like a good amount, but some dogs just need more. Hard to tell without seeing her, but her racing weight can give you a better idea of what a healthy weight might be for her.