Soft Stools

Guest cuddlebug117

Guest cuddlebug117

So I thought my hound was just having a side effect to the de wormer and that after a while he would go back to having more solid stools. It's been 2 weeks since his last deworming, he was recently adopted in August though we fostered him from the beginning. When we first got him his stool were loose at first as he was adapting to kibble and had his first sessions of de wormer, but his stools hardened up after a few days. I did the second de worming on August 27th as directed by the group I adopted him from. He started having runny stools and so I changed to rice and boiled chicken with added pumpkin for extra fiber and it seemed to help. After he seemed back on track (3 days later) I went back to kibble but he started having runny stools again. So back to rice and chicken again. I'd like to get him back onto kibble. I have been doing a 50/50 type deal now, 1 cup of kibble, 3/4 cup of rice, and 1/4 cup of chicken with a nice dollop of pumpkin puree twice a day. This seems to be a good mixture for him but I really want to just do kibble with pumpkin puree and his stools are still very soft.

Could it be the kibble isn't working for him anymore? I have had him on Hill's Science Diet Large Breed from the start and he has only had issues with it after the last session of de wormer. I haven't been giving him treats because I am worried about the treats upsetting his stomach. He is otherwise very healthy and not losing weight, very active(as much as greyhounds seem to be) and seems to be very happy. He just has soft stools(mushy). Am I just over worrying? How long does it take for his body to be back on track after de worming, the first time didn't seem to take long.

Lose the pumpkin and see if it makes a difference. Not all dogs can tolerate it, and it makes diarrhea worse in some, while others do just fine on it.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest shan1119

We were having the same issue with mushy stool minus the de worming issue and she was on Hill's Science Diet. After changing food a couple of times I tried ProPlan for sensitive stomach and her stool is much better.

If taking the pumpkin out doesn't fix things and you need to try a different kibble, many people end up with great results using plain old IAMS green bag.

I've had great results for a long time using Precise Foundation Chicken Meal and Rice, until it no longer worked for Rocket. Now we are feeding Rachael Ray Grain Free Turkey and Potato, which is not a food I would have ever even tried except that someone else was using it and saw a great improvement in their hound's stools.

Don't be swayed by all of the "good kibble, premium kibble, etc. " At the end of the day it is strictly about which one works well for your dog. You are not a bad dog parent for feeding one brand or another. The reason you get so many different kibble suggestions is because something different ends up working for everyone.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Hookworms could be a culprit. Remember that hooks are hard to get rid of and they require frequent and repeat worming.

Also, hooks DO NOT always show up in stool samples. They are slippery little bastiges.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest cuddlebug117

Thanks for the suggestions. I am not supposed to deworm him again until the 17th but he could possibly still have some worms. I think if he doesn't start improving with out the pumpkin I will try some of the brands suggested until I find the one that works for him. Also I'm not sure what kind of dewormer the agency gave me it's a white liquid. Do you think I should pick up another type if this isn't working?

Guest cuddlebug117

I checked his stool and I did see some squirming worms, so the dewormer didn't work to kill them all. I left out the pumpkin in his last couple feedings and his stools seemed more formed. As far as raw diet how does that work? I'd like to learn more.

I checked his stool and I did see some squirming worms, so the dewormer didn't work to kill them all.

Yikes! That is probably your reason for the poo problems. They are likely tapeworms if you can actually see them. A lot of generic wormers do not kill tapeworms, you need a specific med for them. I used Drontal Plus but I am sure there are others out there as well.

If they are tapeworms, also check for fleas as that is where they usually come from.

Edited by RedHead

Guest cuddlebug117

Redhead, he actually had a specifically for tapeworms treatment. No fleas, I've checked many time to be sure and can't find any (plus he has a preventative on). It's flea and tick season where I live, not to mention crazy mosquitos, so I had to apply a preventative. Taking the pumpkin out of his diet seemed to do that trick (crazy I never thought something that was supposed to be good for him, was actually causing him problems). When I can I am going to give him another deworming treatment, it's still a bit too early to try again.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...