Peeing In Apartment Hallway

Guest LittleLouLou

Guest LittleLouLou

I just adopted my perfect *little* brindle girl. She is five years old and basically house broken. I've had her just about a month.

However, occasionally, she will pee the MOMENT we leave the apartment door, right in the hallway.

I tell her no, get her outside, where she often goes number two, but then an hour later she will pee again in the house. These are the only 3 instances where she has peed in the house.

Any suggestions on getting her to stop peeing in the hallway? We live on the 3rd floor. She is 98% of the time fine (she has done this about 3 times now,) and makes it outside, but what causes her to pee in the hallway when she knows she is on her way out? She gets walked 3-5 times per day.

Any advice would be wonderful!

Guest LittleLouLou

She has not been tested, But I will look into it and call her vet tomorrow.

However she hasn't shown any other symptoms-- doesn't look in pain and she pees a good amount each time-- but it still could be possible.

thanks for the suggestion, any other ideas or tips?

Edited by LittleLouLou

We have a dog yard within our yard. Sometimes our girl doesn't make it to the dog yard and will pee in the big yard. Maybe, since she is outside of your apartment (her home), she thinks it is ok to pee there.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest makalataylor

Molly will pee in hallway as well sometimes, or if we get to the bottom of the stairs and I stop for a moment she may pee there as well. With Molly, I think she tries to get her business done as soon as possible so that she can get back to her couch. I am on the second floor.

I would rule out a UTI first.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest makalataylor

I didn't even think about a UTI I just figured Molly had to go, or wanted to hurry up and get back in...as soon as she pees she quickly turns around and wants to head home.

Thanks for posting this. Makes me think!

Guest LittleLouLou

thanks everyone, I assume (and hope) it is the latter, and that she just wants to get her business done quickly, and not the UTI. In which case, I'll keep up the positive praise when she goes outside to train her out of it....but I ordered an at home test just in case and will do it ASAP just to rule that out.

Thanks again, I am feeling very supported and Eloise (Lou) is become more and more of a couch potato each day. :)

thanks everyone, I assume (and hope) it is the latter, and that she just wants to get her business done quickly, and not the UTI. In which case, I'll keep up the positive praise when she goes outside to train her out of it....but I ordered an at home test just in case and will do it ASAP just to rule that out.

Thanks again, I am feeling very supported and Eloise (Lou) is become more and more of a couch potato each day. :)

At home test?

If she doesn't have a medical issue, then you need to change your housetraining plan, just continuing to do what you're doing isn't sufficient. I would give her more frequent trips out, and give her more time while out to do multiple pees as it sounds like she's not always completely empty when you come back in. And instead of just praising, reinforce with high value food every time she potties outside. It can help to take her to the same area to pee each time and to teach a "go potty" cue. What is your current schedule? How often do you take her out and what does she do each time?

Also, worth noting that sometimes if dogs have to poop and are holding it, they will urinate instead. So paying attention and making sure she has ample opportunities for both is important.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It's not enough to take a dog out three times a day.

Suggested schedule: immediately upon waking, 30 minutes after breakfast, immediately upon returning home from work; 30-60 minutes after dinner; right before bedtime.

I've been a condo dweller for all of the years I've had dogs of my own, and that's the schedule I've kept for 20 years. Never once had a dog pee in the hallway/elevator. Lots of OTHER people in my buildings did, but not me.

Also, you should be able to read her body language and know when she's about to squat. I see people ALL THE TIME at my complex who don't seem to realize they don't actually have to let their dog pee anywhere it wants. The second you see her start to squat, give a gentle tug on the leash and say "NO NO NO" and hurry outside as fast as you can!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest makalataylor

Our Molly rarely pees in the hallway unless she really has to go...usually first walk of day, or first walk after arriving home. Usually when I am turned around to lock the door (she wants to hurry and do her business to get back inside). We are working on making it to the grass, lol. She's getting better now that being outside isn't bothering her so much. She is really beginning to adjust better. She now sits, lays, comes, and gets "off" on command (most of the time). Her leash manners have also improved.

We walk at 5:30 am, 7:15 am, around lunch (12:30/1), at 5:30 after work, after dinner around 8 and the once again around 10:30 right before bed.

I just wanted to add, for those of you who are having this problem, carrying a pee pad with you might be a good idea to at least spare the floor in your buildings.

she's most likely conditioned to relieve herself as soon as she's turned out. is it at all possible to work on distracting her until she get outside. use a hot dog, let her nibble away, but hold on tight and only let her have tiny nibbles as you get her outside. don't give her the hot dog any other time- just for this one behavior. thick slices of salami(basically the same stuff) will work as well, i'm just thinking what's the easiest to hold, feed and hold the leash with the other hand. can you just close your door, don't double lock it, that takes too much time, treat-distract-and bolt at the same time. are there any other clues that might get her excited? putting on your sneakers? if so, then a quick slip on shoe or flip flops are in order. also try to keep the leash at the door and aways have poop bags in your pocket. try to eliminate any getting ready to go out signals.

if this works, then praise, kisses, happy voice when she does her business outside. it's not easy, but can be done w/ practice.