Guest Roux

Recently, I read a newspaper article that referenced a link to the International Veterinary Academy of Pain Management. I was unaware of the organization, so visited their site. I am not a DVM or other animal healthcare professional, but found their site has good resources for the public to be able to assess pain in their companion animals. Naturally, I cannot speak to the accuracy or quality of the information, but hope it might be a good resource.

One thing I hope someone can speak to is an observation I have made in my greyhounds. I thought that panting can be a sign of pain, but do not see it mentioned in their lists as a specific indicator. Does anyone know about this?

Here is the site: https://ivapm.org/for-the-public/animals-and-pain-articles/

Interesting site.

They might have not included panting because it's hard to tell the cause. :dunno

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest FordRacingRon

Interesting site.

They might have not included panting because it's hard to tell the cause. :dunno

I think it is interesting and i think it does asses my dog correctly as to what i think is wrong with her at 13 1/2 and her pain (hips,,old dog hips). But I agree on the panting bit with you.

My dog has panted since she was 3. Too hot, too nervous. So over the last few years when she pants it was tough to tell at first if it was just her normal panting for one of the other mentioned reasons, or because of pain (vet noticed when she was none her let leg was getting stiff). But for me what makes it easier is I give her pain meds when she looks as though she starting to get uncomfortable, to try an eliminate pain as the cause.

Guest budsmom

I think panting is also a sign of pain, but to get an accurate read it has to be present in conjunction with other pain symptoms. My Twiz would also pant when stressed during storms or fireworks. I take panting kind of like a cat purring, it is just one possible indication of something.