A C L Question

So Tanzi was just diagnosed with a probable partially torn ACL. She's on 'bed rest' for a week.

But the vet said even though she may improve she'll most likely still need surgery.

So anyone needed surgery on their grey?

Do you know what kind of surgery was done?

Was an ACL misdiagnosed for something else?

Did anyone have a grey diagnosed with a torn ACL but not needed surgery.

Any words of wisdom?

No experience, but the grey savvy vet I know is a well known ortho surgeon and has seen it all, has also fixed other repairs that were done incorrectly. From what I understand, you'll want to have the best of the best working on her. ACL 's from what I remember are rare in grey's and more common in Rotti's etc. How did that happen? I was lucky Ryder didn't hurt his when he fell on the concrete steps and smashed his knee hard.

The only other thing I might be able to comment on is the rehab. Try to walk her backwards, as she'll be using different muscles to do that and will help keep her limber. And walk her in a straight kine over a few towel paper rolls. I don't know if that's something to do for ACL recovery, but in Kasey's case when his rear end was giving out, they suggested to walk him backwards as well as walk a straight line that had towel paper rolls spread out so he'd be forced to pick up his feet and make his joints move.

Scritches

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I'm sure you know that acl tears are rather uncommon with the nga greyhounds (can't speak for then Akc ghs). I would have a complete set of rads done under a light sedation. The Dr needs to see if there's a "draw" present and can't do so if the patient is hurting and is tense.

Sometimes partial tears will scar in-avoiding surgery. There are a few types of surgery, TTA, tplo, lapro.... If a positive tear or rupture is determined each procedure should be discussed with the Dr. If surgery is recommended I would only have the surgery performed at a referral hosptial where pain meds can be administrated around the clock.

Been there. Sat in the surgical referral center while all 7 vets that were there at the time marveled at the radio graphs and said they'd never seen a greyhound with a torn ACL. His was from a horrible wreck on the track at Southland. A torn ACL would be a weird thing in an already retired greyhound.

We were presented with two kinds of surgeries - TPLO and old fashioned "fishing line" repair, but I guess there are three. TPLO is more effective and much more expensive. Results are generally better but if it goes bad it goes way bad. We did the fishing line. The dog sat on the farm for seven months after a horrible wreck on the track and when the vet did surgery his meniscus just crumbled. Rehab was pretty much a nightmare.

I'd go to a surgical referral center before I jumped into any surgeries. We're so lucky to have an excellent one here.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Sportingfields

We rehab'd one of our granddog's thru ACL repair about 9 yrs ago. I don't remember which surgery she had, although the fishing line does seem to ring a bell. She was at 24 hr vets for several days, then we brought her home. Rehab was really easy except she refused to use the ramp that DH put up for her, so I had to towel sling her up & down 3 steps of our ranch style home to get her in & out. She was a good patient, had to leash walk her for weeks afterwards, we had no issues. After healing she wasn't allowed to jump out of vehicles, off the couch okay and she was able to run around like a normal 7 yr old dog. Angel granddog was a Rottie/lab mix, Rottie look with lab ears about 65 pounds.

If it was me, I'd do the rest for a week, if not better do the tests so you can get accurate diagnosis and go from there.

Tanzi has front toe issues. They always seem to bother her (large arthritic knuckles). So the vet thinks she may have been rocking back on her back legs more than normal putting strain on the ACL. This probably wasn't a sudden injury but just a slow deterioration. And she just played a little too hard and tore the ACL. The vet doesn't think it's completely torn. Just partial. So, we're just doing the rest for a week. And then take it from there.

Here in NJ I have access to many large specialty clinics. So I'll find the best orthopod. (I have Healthy Paws, so I don't care about costs)

50% of dogs who tear one ACL tear the other; so don't be terribly suprised if your pet insurance goes up A LOT.

I applied for a policy and there were so many things it would not cover after he'd torn one it wasn't worth anything so I didn't buy it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I have heard two vets (Dr. C and I believe Dr. Shelley) say if you have a torn ACL in a NGA greyhound, most likely than not will show up with osteo. I only know of one grey that had a diagnosed acl tear and yes, she came up with osteo.

Non grey different story. Old surgery is as effective as new surgery and other breeds can recover

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits