Mucus Is Stool

Guest cuddlebug117

Guest cuddlebug117

I have a new greyhound, I just adopted him on Friday but have had him for a little over 3 weeks now. I started him on his second set of dewormer along with a time released tape worm pill the agency had given me instructions for. I gave him his first session of dewormer when I first picked him up as a foster and he had runny stools which I expected because of the diet change and the dewormer. I started the second session of dewormer with that time released tapeworm dewormer pill on Saturday as instructed. This greyhound we have worked hard to get him house trained and I thought we were there, until Sunday morning when he had a runny stool in the living room (shampooed and deoderized) then another in the evening same spot (he had marked there in the begining of housetraining so maybe it still had a little scent. Then this morning my husband failed to stop him from going again in that same spot ( so the shampooer came out yet again followed by generous sprinkles of baking soda to help neutralize hoping that will cut any more scents.

About half an hour ago I caught him walking over to that area he didn't go but I could tell he needed to go so I shoed him away from that area and he went and waited by the back door to be let out. I let him out and followed with a treat. He defecated and I rewarded (trying to keep positive reinforcement). I then went to go clean it up (I like to keep the yard cleaned up)and noticed there was a lot of mucus (really slimy). I had never seen so much and am not sure this is normal with the wormer? He has been vet checked prior to being dewormed and was given a clean bill of health, he also isn't in any discomfort and is acting as normal as he has been while in my care. I'm new to greyhounds but know they have a sensitive digestive tract. Tonight is the last dose of his 3 day wormer so should I just wait it out and see if it gets more normal when the wormer has run it's course?

Edited by cuddlebug117

I wouldn't be too alarmed since you gave him a dewormer. If it continues beyond a reasonable time, then a trip back to vet might be warranted, but sometimes getting those worms out can be pretty ugly. Mucous is fairly normal when the stomach is irritated, as would be the case if worms were active.

As far as the spot on the carpet, you may want to try an enzyme based urine / pet odor remover. most other products just mask the odor and it;s still there.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Mucus in stool indicates inflammation in the digestive tract, which would be quite expected with getting dewormed and his additional life changes. It's not in itself dangerous, just an indicator things aren't right. Some diarrhea and possibly vomiting would also be normal. If this happens, fast him for at least two meals (or until the diarrhea stops), then begin feeding him small portions of a bland diet (boiled chicken/turkey/hamburger and a low fat carb such as pasta/overcooked rice/ sweet potato/plain oatmeal). If the diarrhea returns, or he has bright red blood in his stool or vomit, then he needs to go in for some meds.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest cuddlebug117

Thanks for the replies, his last stool wasn't runny, soft but not runny and that's what had the thick mucus. It does make sense that his stomach would be irritated (even if he isn't showing discomfort) because of the dewormer and the worms that are being killed off (I hope). I'll keep an eye out for any vomitting or diarrhea. I have most of those bland foods on hand incase. I have been giving him pumpkin puree in his food so that might be helping already. In the mean time what is the best enzyme based carpet cleaner as I would like to prevent him from going back to that spot? I have been using Bissell Pet odor and stain remover 2x.

Edited by cuddlebug117

Zero Odor is a great product for any kind of pet stinkies.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Have you by any chance been giving him rawhide chews? Without fail, every dog I've given rawhide to (which I no longer do) ends up with disgusting slime in their poop.

You need to buy a special enzyme cleaner to remove pet waste odors. Deodorizers and such won't do it. Enzyme cleaners literally seek out and "eat" the remains of the biological product (poop).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest cuddlebug117

Thanks I picked up some enzyme based cleaner and so hopefully no more going to that spot. I buy the bully strips which I am sure are kind of like rawhide (not really sure the difference). He does eat them from time to time so it could have been that. He seems to be back to normal so I was probably getting worried over nothing and just the dewormer doing it's job. Thank you all again.