Adjustment To New Home

We have had Cozett for 2 years. She is extremely playful and active..loves to run. 3 weeks ago we moved to a new home with a much smaller yard

. We actually just decreased driveway size to make more yard for her.. But.. She seems so different so ce me moved.. Almost depressed. She did fall running.. And is now on Derrimax. Xrays showed stenosis (she is only 4).I feel like I have let her down taking her from her yard.. Hoping we are still in the adjustment period.. Any advice on experience with moving would be appreciated. I am sad for her.. Seems like her personality has changed.

Three years ago I sold my then current house but didn't close on my new house for 31 days. In between, we stayed 200 miles away at my sister and BIL's place. Annie had been there previously, but only for a 3-day visit at the most. The day I closed on the new house, she had quite a trip. She went to the attorney's office with me. To the bank. To the final inspection of the new house. To the offices of the mortgage company, then finally to our new house.

She stuck to me like glue for a solid 2 weeks, slowly loosening her grip as she realized? decided? trusted? that this was where we would be. She never exhibited true anxiety. She didn't pant or wander around or cry. She just didn't want me out of her sight, and my girl has always been an independent type Greyhound. After about 4 weeks+/-, she settled down and no longer followed me from family room up the stairs to the bedrooms and back down.

I think your girl needs time and more than usual because she hurt herself. Give her lots of love and kisses, or whatever attention she likes the most. Good luck.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest MnMDogs

We moved cross country from a single story home with 24 hour access outside for them. We came to a house with lots of stairs and no fenced in yard. I actually think the move was harder on us than them :lol.

It may be just that she's hurt herself, she may be confused, and insecure but I'm sure she'll adjust.

Her whole environment changed, again. She needs more than 3 weeks to adjust.

:)

She'll be fine. If you think she needs more exercise, get out the leash and walk her. Good idea anyway--make sure she knows the neighborhood in the event she ever gets loose.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I think she'll be just fine, especially once she starts feeling better from her fall. We have been in a pattern of moving almost every year since we got our buy 4 1/2 years ago, and he just went from a great fenced in race track of a yard to no yard at all. It takes a few weeks for them to adjust to their new surroundings, and in addition to longer regular walks, we have found safe spaces for our guy to get in the occasional run. The walks tire him out, but they just don't have the same effect as a 2-minute zoomie fest on his 'cabin fever'.

Guest KarenD

Ours loves her routine.....if that's messed up she is too. Time will take care of this plus a few more belly rubs and little treats and special attention. It sounds like you are doing that already. Luck to you