Trupanion

Just finished talking to Trupanion and they are telling me they will not cover DaVid's suspected IBD problems. Since he was 3 they have said he had pre enrollment allergies, but now they are saying they will not cover that problem or IBD. My other two hounds are insured with Healthy Paws, but I am not able to enroll him because of his issues and his age. At one time I really liked Trupanion, but not anymore.

DaVid is 10 1/2 so I don't think I will have Trupanion much longer. But, in the mean time, I would not recommend them to anyone. My vet said she thought they would pay for the IBD and wrote them a letter of appeal, but it did no good. We jus finished about $750 with of tests (blood, kidney) and now they are not paying on that. I am very disappointed with Trupanion and will tell people to check out Healthy Paws and not bother with Trupanion.

For what it's worth, I know DaVid has prexisting conditions, but I just plugged in info for a dog his breed and age at Healthy Paws and they will still insure him. $67.10 per month, $500 deductible, 70% reimbursement.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Thanks for the information, but he has to go in weekly to have his corns hulled. I don't believe Healthy Paws would cover that, so that would put my output as $267 per month, $500 dec. and 70% reimbursement. I am on Social Security and just don't have the money to pay that amount. But, I appreciate you taking the time to check it out.

Insurance is frustrating! I had VPI for a very short time for one of my bridge hounds. The first claim I submitted they informed me that they needed ALL vet records from every vet he'd ever seen before they'd consider the current claim. :riphair Now I've been trying to decide which company to go with for my current hounds; and have a friend who is very happy with Trupanion.....but... from what I've been reading it seems like she's in the minority. I just signed on with Healthy Paws for both my houndies. They're healthy; but one never knows for sure when one will get sick or hurt.

If there was anything in his records to suggest an allergy then I think most insurance companies would consider IBD as something related and not cover it. Was he ever tested for allergies? I'm curious as to what in his record suggested allergies.

The best thing is to get insurance early before you have to take your pet to the vet for any reason other than the examination required by the insurance company. Once something is in their record then it is used as a basis for not paying for something.

I had Healthy Paws for Chase and have to say that I am very happy with everything they covered for him, but to be honest for the next dog I hope to only pay the monthly premiums and never have to file a claim.

Trupanion paid out almost $20,000 in claims for Murray. The expensive procedures were pre-approved by them before we had them done. We never had a problem with this company or their ability to reimburse us quickly. I'm sorry that your dog isn't being covered for what they've determined to be a preexisting condition, but I wish you'd stop trashing Trupanion here.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Insurance is frustrating! I had VPI for a very short time for one of my bridge hounds. The first claim I submitted they informed me that they needed ALL vet records from every vet he'd ever seen before they'd consider the current claim. :riphair

Every insurance company does this.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

My friend had Trupanion and her greyhound broke his leg, which had been broken years before. Trupanion paid without question. The leg was healing nicely for about 6 weeks then things went south. He developed osteo and had it amputated. Again, Trupanion paid without question. Her boy lived for a year, ultimately, the osteo metastasized and she had to let him go this past March.

I had Trupanion for a year with my 2 littermates in 2011, my monthly premium was $37+ for each dog. At the end of the year, a year when I never once made a claim for either dog, I received a notice from them that each dog's premium was going up to $53+. That was beyond the pale. I made sure they knew that and I switched to Health Paws post haste. My current monthly premium for each of my dogs, including my 13 1/2 year old girl, are still cheaper than what Trupanion was going to charge me in 2012...and that's after they paid over $3,000 for Doodles FCE hospitalization and follow up treatment in 2014.

There are lots of good Trupanion stories, but they seem to be mostly in the past. This year on GT, there seem to be quite a few negative stories. I don't get the sense the OP was trying to trash them, just sharing an experience for others.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Trupanion has paid out many thousands on my dogs. MRI, several back surgeries and corns. My premium for Lady and DaVid was $226.00 per month. When I got DaVid from the track, he would not eat and had bad stools so I took him to my vet at the time (mistake) and she kept him for several weeks (also my mistake). He lost a bunch of weight and she said he had allergies, tho we did no testing. But, the bill was about $3000.00…I then applied for Trupanion and of course got it, but they said they would not cover his allergies…so for the past 7 years every time he had a stomach problem or ear infection, they would write it off to allergies. Then comes IBD and they say allergies…they can not prove it, but my Vet cannot disprove it either…so, the little chippy girl on the phone the other night said they would never cover the IBD..I think they send them to a special school to learn how to talk to customers like they do. Anyway, with my two Galgos my premium is about 1/2 the price Trupanion wanted to charge (even counting in the $100 deductible per year) When DaVid dies, I will be done with Trupanion forever. Actually, when all of my dogs die, I will be done and will just volunteer at rescues. Enough. Thanks everyone for posting.