Urinary Issues?

Brandy recently had a vet visit for a pretty bad UTI- she was given Amoxicillin for 14 days which cured the UTI and stopped her accidents inside the house.

She still seems (to me) to take a long time to empty her bladder, she will have a strong stream but she will just dribble for a good 10-15 seconds after she gets the bulk of her urine out. Is this normal? The vet was concerned about bladder stones, and wanted to do an x-ray- I held off on it because of the cost and wanting to see whether the antibiotics solved the problem first. Would it be worth it to have the x-ray done anyway? Ultrasound? She doesn't have any problem holding it for the 7 hours I am gone during the day at work, and will happily go do her business outside now. But the prolonged (?) squat has me wondering. And I don't want the UTI to become a recurring issue, as I'm sure it feels awful to her and is expensive for me. Has anyone else dealt with anything similar that could chip in advice, or am I just being a worry wart? She acts perfectly happy and normal, I would imagine bladder stones would affect her behavior too?

1a_opt1_zpsmbvbxj5k.jpg

Did you do a urine culture to ensure you were using the correct antibiotic?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If he didn't culture the urine, he was just using an old standby antibiotic. They might have cured it, or they might have only relieved it temporarily.

An x-ray isn't expensive, but it will only show one of two types of stones. I'd have your vet run a urinalysis again.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck