Arthritis In Older Greys

Kate is 11 years old, will be 12 in November. She has a bit of arthritis in her hips, so I am asking what some of you may be using to give

your greys a little relief with this problem. Had been using ArthiMaxx Soft Chews for her for about 3 yrs but now it doesn't seem to be

helping.

Appreciate any insight/suggestions that may help my older girl..

ps She is a real sweetheart, love her so much

We've used the Springtime Joint Health Chews and Fresh Factors for quite a while.

Rocket is just starting to have some similar issues and will be 11 in November. We are trying some Rimadyl at the moment, but just started today. I also increased his Joint Health Chews this week to 4 a day from 3. He still runs and plays like a puppy and races around the yard every night, but is starting to show the signs of aches and pains when he gets up to start moving around.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Metacam/Meloxicam usually helps.

Get your vet to prescribe it along with an acid inhibitor drug for the first couple of weeks to help prevent stomach bleeds.

It may however knock a month or two off your dog's life as it can tend to make kidney disease worse... it's something to do with the local blood flow.

Quality of life, not length of life is surely the key.

Not to hijack the thread, but what do you look for to determine arthritis? Is it just limping? I ask because Max just turned 12 and one would think he must have some arthritis, but he still walks without limping and actually outpaces Logan on walks. Even if I cannot definitively diagnose arthritis I'm wondering if I should put him on a supplement under the assumption he has some pain given his age.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Not to hijack the thread, but what do you look for to determine arthritis? Is it just limping? I ask because Max just turned 12 and one would think he must have some arthritis, but he still walks without limping and actually outpaces Logan on walks. Even if I cannot definitively diagnose arthritis I'm wondering if I should put him on a supplement under the assumption he has some pain given his age.

In my opinion a supplement won't hurt a thing, and will help if he's even just starting a bit of arthritis. Some get it, some don't, some earlier, some later. I'd start at 12 even without symptoms. Not a heavy dose though. Maybe every other day? Just throwing out ideas.

Teague is 9 (no issues yet) and I have had him on Springtime Longevity (don't recommend this if you feed dry kibble as it would be hard to mix in...but they also have a couple of joint formula tabs) plus another joint powder which I love called WellyTails. No idea if all of this stuff works, but both of these have a variety of ingredients on top of the usual glucosamine/chondroitin/msm that are supposed to be good. I figure it can't hurt. I always start adding joint supplement at around 6 or 7 years, more as a preventative. I also give omega 3 supplements daily which are great too.

A bit of stiffness is normal in older dogs, but if it is painful, then the supplements won't do a lot of good...you will need a daily pain med as mentioned above. IMO a joint formula and omegas can't hurt though, I know a lot of dogs who showed a lot of improvement with them.

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia is 13 1/4. We use rimadyl every day and this supplement I can't recall the name at the second but it is irrelevant because I see no difference . Yet she still ran 3 laps last night,,then her rear goes down.

Supplements mostly help the manufacturer.

If your dog is in pain, he/she needs to be on an NSAID if it is arthritis. Your vet will want to run blood work first to make sure there is no underlying issue with the liver/kidney etc. and then again six months in, annually thereafter.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

All four of my campers are getting Costco's Kirkland brand Glucosamine/MSM supplement. It has 1500mg of each component, which is a lot. There's been a noticeable improvement in all of them with this product.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I actually start mine on ActiFlex (recommended by a greyhound vet) and fish oil when I bring them home. Lost them to all kinds of things, but never had arthritic issues.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest FordRacingRon

Supplements mostly help the manufacturer.

If your dog is in pain, he/she needs to be on an NSAID if it is arthritis. Your vet will want to run blood work first to make sure there is no underlying issue with the liver/kidney etc. and then again six months in, annually thereafter.

I sort of believe this too. So many miracle cures that are not.

Guest FordRacingRon

Just saw the vet Friday. He kept her on Rimadyl but added Tramadol too. He tried to talk me into laser therapy or acupuncture. She is terrified of the vet and she is 13 1/4. I am not taking my 13 year old for those expensive treatments at a place that terrifies her.