Soft Poos

Hello Grey World

We have had our boy Steven for almost a year now. Since we've gotten him his poops have never been very solid, always a little soft. We used to feed him Simple food, salmon and potato, which is generally seemed to like. Honestly I think he'll eat just about anything. A few weeks ago he started to go straight outside in the morning to eat some grass and was not interested at all in his food. After about an hour of the grass he'd then eat and carry on like nothing was weird. Sometimes he'd vomit the grass, sometimes he didn't. Then someone posted about giving him some food before bed, and we did and it seemed to work. He no longer was going for the grass. In this time we'd also decided to see if it was the food, and we switched him very slowly to Taste of the Wild, Pacific Stream. He seemed very excited about the new food. (No joke, I think he's just thrilled about eating) So he'd been on it a few weeks, with his snack at night before bed for about a month, happy as ever. About a week or two ago he had diarreha. We tried giving him boiled chicken and rice, and also pumpkin. He doesn't seem fazed by his upset tummy at all. We took him to the vet and they gave us some medicine plus something for worms just in case. It's not been a few days since his last dose and his poops are still SO soft. He doesn't seem uncomfortable and is eating like a champion.

Has anyone else had this issue with their grey? Any tips? Pumpkin does nothing. The woman at my rescue told me to try benefiber a while ago and I did and it worked for like a day. Is it the food? Am I crazy?

Thanks!

What about slippery elm? Claudia from The Greyhound Gang recommends it.

Also Olewo carrots. I have used it for 2 years and it really helps with soft poops. Since I free feed I give them separately in a bowl.My boys love the carrots and come running at carrot time. You can buy it from Amazon.

TOTW caused soft poop and diarrhea for us after a few months of using it - no matter which flavor we used. Others have reported similar issues over the years. It is a very rich food and may be the issue. If you continue feeding it, I would try the Olewo carrots mentioned above mixed with it.

You could also try cutting back the amount a little in case it;s just a matter of him getting too much since it;s so rich. Cut back 1/4 cup and see if that helps. Be sure to make only one change at a time so you know what works.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

What about slippery elm? Claudia from The Greyhound Gang recommends it.

Also Olewo carrots. I have used it for 2 years and it really helps with soft poops. Since I free feed I give them separately in a bowl.My boys love the carrots and come running at carrot time. You can buy it from Amazon.

I use Slippery Elm with my crew with wonderfully reliable results. Before discovering SE I used Tylan powder (that I put into capsules) and I still keep Tylan in the cupboard for the occasional really bad cases.

If you are watering down the kibble, try cutting back on the amount of water you're using. I know for a fact that this simple adjustment cured soft poo for a friends gh.

Good luck!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We tried for about 2 years with TOTW and a few other very rich foods, and our guy just doesn't tolerate the rich food, as much as he loves the taste. I finally caved and threw the green bag of IAMS in the cart, and we've had excellent, consistent poos for the better part 2 1/2 years now. The beet pulp seems to be the magic ingredient for our guy. The Olewo carrots and beets also work wonders for firming up output. I will mix in a bit of the richer foods now, but our special blend is still about 70% IAMS green bag.

Hi,

I had almost the same issue, but mine is spooked one so we thought maybe the soft poop was her nerves. We went to vet, and no apparently health issue as well.

I tried to change her food and it helped.

She came to us eating Lamb rice Kirkland, we change for Lamb rice Blue (still diarrhea), I tried so many kibbles:

Wellness Core chicken (still diarrhea);

Blue - Salmon or something fish(soft serve);

Taste of the Wild, Pacific Stream (soft serve);

First mate pacific (better).

We give her First mate and the Taste of wild that you told, I thought maybe she has some trouble with lamb, cause some greyhounds have intolerance for lamb.

If I give her any treat with lambs, diarrhea starts again. It's really hard to escape from lamb cause even chicken or beef flavor they have some lamb in it.

Firm it up, it's a powder of pumpkin and apple, it's expensive but helped her when she got really terrible diarrhea.

I like First mate, it's a little bit expensive but the good thing is the protein and fat %, good quantities for a not so much active greyhound, I think Taste of wild has a high % of protein.

I think you should try "firm it up" or pumpkin fiber, it's better than just canned pumpkin and try to test some different kibbles and check if it goes well or not, since any health issue was discarded.

Each dog is different so, maybe what worked for me or others doesn't work for your dog.

A good thing, it gives a little bit work is to put all the ingredients of the kibbles in a spreadsheet and list the ingredients , so you can find which ingredient maybe your dog has a issue.

I did that with all those kibbles that I tried also the treats and First mate and Taste of wild were more similar, so I think maybe my dog has some issues with some ingredient, it's really hard to find the specific one.

I use Slippery Elm with my crew with wonderfully reliable results. Before discovering SE I used Tylan powder (that I put into capsules) and I still keep Tylan in the cupboard for the occasional really bad cases.

If you are watering down the kibble, try cutting back on the amount of water you're using. I know for a fact that this simple adjustment cured soft poo for a friends gh.

Good luck!

yes and yes !!

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Guest WildSparkler

Definitely Olewo carrots! My girl has always had soft poo, and the carrots definitely have helped. She had also been battling with hookworms, which also contributed to the problem. So I would make sure there isn't any parasites (they do not always show up on fecals, so you might have to do multiple testings). The carrots are fairly cheap, and easy to make!