Snow Won't Eat I Think I'll Give It Another Week And Put Her D

Guest kar

snow will only eat chicken and rice will not eat her regular food or biscuits. all bloodwork is normal. she did eat a plastic bag which she passed I believe. this was two weeks ago. she is not eating enough I believe to sustain her. and she has lost weight. I am sick about this.

Has your vet done any x-rays? Maybe she has an obstruction and that is causing her not to eat. How old is she? Does she have any other medical conditions?

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

he said plastic will not show on xrays. she has pln loosing protein in urine but blood work is normal. she is not vomiting and is going to the bathroom although stools are smaller. she is nine and before this was eating excellent.

Edited by kar

Guest Sportingfields

If she has an obstruction the plastic may not show on radiographs but, a gas pattern will. You vet could also run a barium series.

Is this is an option for you? if so I'd schedule sooner rather than later. Paws crossed and healing prayers.

:( Hope you can get things turned around.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Can you try feeding her other human type meals, like hamburger, salmon, sardines, etc? She may just not like her regular food anymore. I make burger patties with hamburger, chopped zucchini, chopped carrots, blueberries, an egg, some oatmeal - sort of like a meat loaf - then make patties and grill them. They always get mine to eat. You can feed by itself, or wet the kibble and mix it all together. Try just the patties first to see if it is the kibble she is refusing. If the patties work, maybe a kibble change may also.

I don't know if she has problems with other proteins - mine actually doesn't tolerate chicken well - but maybe it is worth a try to see if she will eat other things.

I would go back to the vet too for extra tests if she still isn't eating.

she has pln vet wants me to limit protein. she goes for an ultrasound on Monday. first they could take her. but I really think something is definitely wrong.

Snow's ultrasound came back ok - nothing extremely out of the ordinary, she is eating a little better, but still does not seem normal. any one have any other ideas. I know I am not walking her as far because of the heat and her almost collapse in it, but does any one think it is her age and she is just changing. She is nine going on ten.

Guest DarkHorse

It might be the heat combined with her age. Dexter has been off and on his food all summer, and him being off mostly coincides with it being hot. Now that fall's approaching and it's getting closer to a reasonable temperature, he's back on his food. And he's a lot more lively too!

We tend to keep our seniors (right now, just Dexter) just a touch heavier than ideal to allow for loss of appetite because it seems to be a common thing. So even though Dexter's been varying up and down about 5 lbs this summer, he's been between 2lbs over and 2lbs under his ideal weight, and not getting down to 5lbs under.