Kinesiology Taping-Possible Help For Dogs With Spinal And Other Issues

Interesting. I'd love to try this for Zuri's LS.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I use KT tape on Kili from time to time. Over stickiness is not an issue, in fact the opposite. The actual brand KT tape does not stick to fur pretty much at all. The one I was given by Kili's rehab tech was a lot better and stayed on. It's sticking to fur and not skin though, so aside from taking some fur off with it there's no issue with sticking to the skin (unless I suppose if you used it in an area with little hair like the belly).

I have photos somewhere on my home computer I think.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Does it only take off dead fur, or do you find it's pulling out hair when you remove it (and thus might be uncomfortable)? I'm going to ask Z's massage therapist about this. She works with horses as well so may have some experience. He certainly could benefit from some more awareness of his back feet, as well as help along his spine in terms of muscular/neuro stuff.

I sent Zuri's rehab/massage person an email - will update in here if anything comes of it.

This is giving me an idea though. For the shepherd with the back foot scuffing, I wonder if applying vet wrap around the back legs just above the ankle would accomplish the same thing? I may try it.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Does it only take off dead fur, or do you find it's pulling out hair when you remove it (and thus might be uncomfortable)? I'm going to ask Z's massage therapist about this. She works with horses as well so may have some experience. He certainly could benefit from some more awareness of his back feet, as well as help along his spine in terms of muscular/neuro stuff.

It depends on how long you leave it on. If you leave it on until it starts to peel itself then it mostly just takes off loose fur. If you remove it earlier it tends to take a bit more hair with it, but it's not like it leaves a bare strip... it doesn't take off THAT much fur. In most scenarios you could leave it on until it starts coming off itself. In my case, Kili couldn't wear it during shows so I would apply it overnight and remove it the next afternoon. I did that a few days in a row and it was never noticeable that she was missing any fur.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Hmmm where can one purchase this in the great white north Krissy?

Not sure. I get mine from Kili's rehab technician, and she orders it directly from the distributor.

Also, apparently colour matters. I was told to always use "cool" colours (blue, green, purple) instead of "warm" colours (pink, red, yellow). Supposedly that impacts the anti-inflammatory effect. I'm not sure if it's about reflection of light/heat, but my rehab tech is not the type to disseminate non-scientific info, so although I'm not sure how exactly the colour makes a difference, I believe her and I save the hot pink for myself. Kili gets blue.

Like us on Facebook!

Kept forgetting to post the photos. Here they are.

IMG_3682_zpsx3s7fkzw.jpg

IMG_3681_zpsefhrg8cv.jpg

Like us on Facebook!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. So it's sort of like the Chinese "cupping" therapy that the US Olympic swim team was doing? Just with tape.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Kili girl, it looks like you have a zipper! :lol:

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg