I'm sorry. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am very sad to report that my Nixon has joined this horrible club

Thought if I kind of whispered that news that it might not hurt as much....

:(

LF Proximal humerus

At 12.5 he will be kept very comfortable.... until he is not.

My heart is breaking ...

Crap, I'm sorry. This is not a club anyone wants to be a part of.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I'm sorry. This club sucks.

Not the people, the reason.

This. Bruno came and went so quickly I never posted here.

MP, you hang in there. Nancy, you too, I am so sorry. To the others whom I don't "know", my heart goes out to you as well. Osteo just sucks.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest LockportGrey

I am very sad to report that my Nixon has joined this horrible club

Thought if I kind of whispered that news that it might not hurt as much....

LF Proximal humerus

At 12.5 he will be kept very comfortable.... until he is not.

My heart is breaking ...

I'm sorry. Our Great Dane/Black Lab was taken by Osteo 3 months ago.

We are bringing our first grey into our home soon.

I'm so sorry that new people have come to this thread. There is a ton of good information here if you go back over all the old posts - may take a few days but, it covers many of the options out there. There is also quite a bit that people have written about their use of pain meds and what worked and what didn't - you will not find better information anyplace else.

There are a few more options that are becoming available now that are not really talked about much in these threads because they are so new -- one of which is the vaccine. There are also quite a few clinical trials going on now that may pay for a percentage of the costs and every little bit helps.

I suggest that you make an appointment with an oncologist just so you have the most current stats and options and get tons of pain meds and the protocols for use.

Guest LockportGrey

I'm so sorry that new people have come to this thread. There is a ton of good information here if you go back over all the old posts - may take a few days but, it covers many of the options out there. There is also quite a bit that people have written about their use of pain meds and what worked and what didn't - you will not find better information anyplace else.

There are a few more options that are becoming available now that are not really talked about much in these threads because they are so new -- one of which is the vaccine. There are also quite a few clinical trials going on now that may pay for a percentage of the costs and every little bit helps.

I suggest that you make an appointment with an oncologist just so you have the most current stats and options and get tons of pain meds and the protocols for use.

Can I ask why? Thanks.

Can I ask why? Thanks.

If new people are coming to the thread it usually means that their dog has been diagnosed with osteo or their dog has started limping and they fear that is what the diagnosis will be. Either way, the people & their greyhound are in pain and at a loss how to proceed forward. There is a ton of information to decipher and not enough time to do it. And, for many people ... no matter what you do, you will question what you did ...

Guest LockportGrey

If new people are coming to the thread it usually means that their dog has been diagnosed with osteo or their dog has started limping and they fear that is what the diagnosis will be. Either way, the people & their greyhound are in pain and at a loss how to proceed forward. There is a ton of information to decipher and not enough time to do it. And, for many people ... no matter what you do, you will question what you did ...

Thanks for the clarification. I've been through this. It's not easy.

Edited by LockportGrey

Medical protocols change, fall in and out of favor very quickly, too. My friend's dog developed osteo 3 years ago, he lived a year past diagnosis. Now that my girl has it, protocols have changed, some medications and supplements are no longer recommended. And now the vaccine is within reach - literally weeks - from being available for dogs diagnosed now.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

This so perfectly phrased

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Bowie went in for restaging yesterday. We got our dates crossed, they thought she was coming in the 15th. They graciously worked her in for x-rays, a physical exam and blood work (we'll schedule the ultrasound later). Bloodwork is better than last time, physical was good and x-rays looked clear. Got a call today from the vet's office confirming radiologist concurred, no mets. 💕

The further out we get from diagnosis, the more tense I feel with these visits. I almost cried on the phone today.

Bowie went in for restaging yesterday. We got our dates crossed, they thought she was coming in the 15th. They graciously worked her in for x-rays, a physical exam and blood work (we'll schedule the ultrasound later). Bloodwork is better than last time, physical was good and x-rays looked clear. Got a call today from the vet's office confirming radiologist concurred, no mets. 💕

The further out we get from diagnosis, the more tense I feel with these visits. I almost cried on the phone today.

:yay

And I know this is SO much easier said than done, but try to just enjoy this time. :grouphug

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Interesting. And potentially awesome!!!

I wonder if they are only using local dogs in Colorado or if they will accept trial dogs from around the country?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 2 weeks later...

Ultrasound what? We never did an US for Dude post-chemo - xrays and labs only. I assume the Dr looked at him when we brought him in for those, but nothing was ever reported to us except he was "clear and doing well."

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I mean, not to be gross about it, but if there's something big enough to be seen on US, it's probably too late to do anything about it. I would think. At the very least they shouldn't charge you for it if you don't want it and it's not necessary.

I've never heard of anyone doing ultrasounds, just x-rays.

Yes, I had ultrasound done. Cancer can spread to not just the lungs but, other areas such as intestines, stomach and so on. In those cases, the symptoms may not be clear enough to suggest mets however, the ultrasound may not pick up anything even if the cancer has progressed into that area until is pronounced.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't stop bawling....

Booked an appointment for February 15 for Nixon's final journey.

He is doing quite well on the Gabapentin and Metacam, but he seems to be ageing right before my eyes.

He can still carefully do the stairs and his appetite is fabulous, but it has been 5 weeks since his diagnosis and I just can't take any more risk that the leg will fracture.

Thankfully it has been very cold so they have not been outside doing zoomies.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg