TANZI!! :cheers

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Great! :banana

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Bowie had her follow-up appointment today, blood work and xrays. Blood work good and xrays show clear lungs!!! They couldn't get over how large her heart is and had to bring up the old xrays to make sure nothing had changed. I'm soooooo relieved.

They don't see a lot of greyhounds there, I reminded them that large hearts are 100% normal for the breed. Told them their hearts do naturally what Lance Armstrong did unnaturally. They got it when I put it like that.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Bowie had her follow-up appointment today, blood work and xrays. Blood work good and xrays show clear lungs!!! They couldn't get over how large her heart is and had to bring up the old xrays to make sure nothing had changed. I'm soooooo relieved.

They don't see a lot of greyhounds there, I reminded them that large hearts are 100% normal for the breed. Told them their hearts do naturally what Lance Armstrong did unnaturally. They got it when I put it like that.

Great news - way to go!

Bowie! :ghplaybow

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

One of the members in the FB osteo group is using a brace for their dog that went through radiation and chemo. The dog is a mastiff (huge) and that was one of the considerations in determining the treatment plan. The brace that they are using really looks great and has worked to stabilize the leg as the dog already has a slight fracture. They posted a video of the dog and it was really awesome how the dog was running with the brace. I wanted to provide the web site for the brace as it might be something that could come in handy for greyhounds especially if people decide to do a limb sparing procedure as the treatment for osteo as this might help to stabilize the leg. Or, it could be helpful in a severely broken leg.

https://www.animalorthocare.com/

At Adam's 3rd carboplatin chemo treatment at the end of August they did x-rays and it showed some suspicious spots - we elected to do the treatment that day and redo x-rays at 4th treatment for clarification. The x-rays at the 4th treatment confirmed that the osteo had spread to the lungs and at that time, we moved Adam into a study using doxy (different chemo) and Apoquel and he got that treatment in September with the hope that the mass would shrink or stay the same - it didn't. At today's scheduled chemo, the x-rays showed that the mass got bigger so, the doxy chemo had no effect. We are going to try Chlorambucil with an NSAID (Deramaxx) and see if that makes a difference in the mass.

Otherwise, my boy is doing great - he's happy and running around the yard.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone watching The Truth About Cancer mini series? I skipped episodes 1&2, went right to #3 & #4, which seems to be a game changer for lots of folks with pets who have cancer. There is a study out of the veterinary university in Helsinki looking at biomarkers for pets fed raw vs kibble. I don't know how many dogs are in the study, but the data they are showing is an eye opener. One of the oncologists I've consulted with here in Los Angeles (took Bowie to see her in August) is interviewed.

If you're interested in watching, the link is below. Make sure to have paper and pen available so you can take notes.

On a side note, today is the opening day of the big veterinary oncology conference in Seattle. Praying for some positive news about the release of the osteo vaccine to come out of it.

http://mapp.thetruthaboutcancer.net/a/144/click/4750536/743603620/_b8410a1e713e27ce4dad19a6882cbbaf604ec2bd/433cfeb954346be55f701ec1151297620812944a

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Crap, I'm sorry to read that about Adam. How is he doing?

Thanks for asking ...

After his x-ray, his legs swelled and that can be a complication of the cancer lung spread and I was worried however, after more than a week, the swelling has gone down and he has normal looking feet again (normal for greyhound). He's still on the home chemo along with Deramaxx and neither seems to be causing any ill effects and since the swelling went down, he's much more energetic and back to running in the yard. The swelling might also be due to some man-handling on his legs during the x-rays as it happened twice before when he also had x-rays. I suspect that they are holding his legs too tight during the procedure. It's possible that the cancer is causing his legs to be more sensitive to tight grips.

MaryJane, I'm sorry for the lungs and the leg swelling but glad he is running and happy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for asking ...

After his x-ray, his legs swelled and that can be a complication of the cancer lung spread and I was worried however, after more than a week, the swelling has gone down and he has normal looking feet again (normal for greyhound). He's still on the home chemo along with Deramaxx and neither seems to be causing any ill effects and since the swelling went down, he's much more energetic and back to running in the yard. The swelling might also be due to some man-handling on his legs during the x-rays as it happened twice before when he also had x-rays. I suspect that they are holding his legs too tight during the procedure. It's possible that the cancer is causing his legs to be more sensitive to tight grips.

I'm so glad to read this. Give him a gentle hug from me and a cookie from Bowie :beatheart:bunny

Bowie went in for her monthly blood work today (because she's on Piroxicam). Everything seemed good, the oncologist was happy with her blood work. She did have 3 items that were slightly out of range, but he wasn't concerned.

Actual Normal Range

BUN 32 mg/dL (high) 7 - 27

ALKP <10 U/L (low) 23 - 212

TBIL 2.0 mg/dL (high) 0.0 - 0.9

Can anyone explain those to me?

I had noticed some bumps under her skin, in the muscle, on her left flank (2" from her spine/just above her tuck). They are in the muscle and above a scar. They feel like keloids, as if she had been playing and another dog scratched her deep. I took her to my vet last week and the oncologist looked at them today. Both weren't terribly concerned, they aren't large enough to aspirate and they move. They want me to keep an eye on them.

And, to my embarrassment and horror, she gained 2.6 lbs since the beginning of the month. She weighs what she did when she had her 4th leg. I am mortified. I think I've been over feeding her, I'm going to have to check the food scale I've been using. That, and we did not go on regular walks for most of the month of October because we had such a terrible heat wave. Heat wave is over, so walks will resume (she'll be happy about that). I'm cutting back on her food, too. It's not her treats, she only gets one dehydrated green tripe stick per day!

Anyway, all in all a good report!

Good job Bowie!!! :yay:yay:yay

I think with the numbers, at this point it's more about the amount of change from test to test, rather than an over all number. If her last tests were similar - even if they were high or low - I would not be that concerned. Hopefully someone more able to judge will chime in.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bowie had her monthly bloodwork and physical. All looked good! I was concerned as she had throwback up some bile and bits of undigested food 3x 3 weeks ago. I increased her Pepcid to 20mg, 2x per day, added her probiotic back and added a healing spoonful of whole milk Greek yogurt. That solved the problem.

I am very thankful, yesterday was the year anniversary of her limp first showing up. We thought she had overdone it playing with other greyhounds at the time. Little did I know.

Edited by seeh2o