Tanzi just finished her 6th chemo a smidge over a month ago. I gave her the Cerenia automatically for two days and didn't wait to see if she was nauseated. She would still not eat breakfast in the mornings for her 4th and 5th chemo, so they lightened the 6th (last) chemo. She did better after that one.

But, I'm finding, that although she has a good appetite, it's not as good as it used to be. She ALWAYS ate people foodl Now she's picky. Turned her nose at sticky buns the other day. Didn't want her pancakes a week ago.

I think this is her new normal.

But, she is happy. No doubt about that. We go see her amp doctor on Friday for xrays and bloodwork.

Tanzi just finished her 6th chemo a smidge over a month ago. I gave her the Cerenia automatically for two days and didn't wait to see if she was nauseated. She would still not eat breakfast in the mornings for her 4th and 5th chemo, so they lightened the 6th (last) chemo. She did better after that one.

But, I'm finding, that although she has a good appetite, it's not as good as it used to be. She ALWAYS ate people foodl Now she's picky. Turned her nose at sticky buns the other day. Didn't want her pancakes a week ago.

I think this is her new normal.

But, she is happy. No doubt about that. We go see her amp doctor on Friday for xrays and bloodwork.

Thanks for this. I just don't know what is "normal" and I know that definition is different for everyone, but a general idea helps a lot. She was fine this morning, no nausea, no trying to find grass to eat. Whew! Her nausea on Sat and Sun morning reminded me of morning sickness (which I personally and gratefully know nothing about first hand!) as she was fine in the evenings. Mercifully, she was able to eat breakfast both days.

They've stretched her chemos out from every 3 weeks (which she has never been able to tolerate) to every 4 weeks and lightened her chemo (still within treatment protocol). I'm wondering if they may have raised the dose of carbo this time around since they officially scheduled her chemo 4 weeks later. I'll ask when we go in on Friday.

I hope Tanzi has good news on Friday, looks like we're both spending our Fridays the same way this week. What happens after the 6 treatments?

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

After your chemo is done, there will be one round of xrays and lab work to establish post-treatment protocols and levels, and to check for mets. Dude continued on Piroxicam (tumor shrinking nsaid), a compounded holistic supplement (I'm blanking on the name right now), and maybe one other pill (oral compounded low dose chemo). He had no issues with any of these drugs, though his dosing schedule required reminder alarms and a spread sheet! Check ups were every three months for bloodwork, lung xrays, and physical exam.

Each dog tolerates chemo treatments differently. Dude was really not interested in food for three days after an IV infusion, and I ended up hand feeding him whatever he liked that day so he could have his meds. I didn't really care what it was - cat food, stinky bad canned dog food, Beneful Prepared Meals (godsend as he usually loved these), McDonalds burgers and fries. Once he got through the nauseau (and once he was through with chemo all together) he ate pretty normally for him.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Tummy issues do get worse after each chemo.

After 6 weeks, there's the chest xrays and bloodwork every 3 months. Then I think after a year, it's stretched longer. Not sure how long. Then if there is something that shows up on xrays or bloodwork, I think they put them on something different. I'm just taking it appointment by appointment.

Wendy asked me to share with you that Twiggy has died.

She lived exactly 5 years and 10 months after her OS diagnosis.

In addition to beating cancer, "She also beat a Jeep (that hit her when they were crossing a street), a stroke, and kidney failure. In the end, it was just that her body wore out."

Wendy will write a remembrance when she can.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

In addition to beating cancer, "She also beat a Jeep (that hit her when they were crossing a street), a stroke, and kidney failure. In the end, it was just that her body wore out."

A day I have been dreading to hear :-(

Oh Twiggy :heart She was so loved, by Wendy and by all who met her. What an inspiration. So many tears here...big hugs to Wendy. My heart is broken for her.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Oh NO! Sweet Twiggy!! She and Dude had their diagnosis and amps just a few months apart. I was always so happy that Wendy got to have Twiggy so much longer than we had with our boy.... :weep

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oh no, this breaks my heart. :cry1 Thank you for sharing on Wendy's behalf. Oh geez. :(:cry1

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thank you all. She really was something. A force of nature, I always said. Her boundless enthusiasm and determination brought me and many others joy. I wish I could properly do her memory justice. Just a few photos here, Not enough to really tell her story, but I hope her spirit can shine through

IMG_5396.jpg

d2694639-19db-42c7-9241-710c5a486356.jpg

Arborteum07.jpg

9-2-13Beach37.jpg

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Hugs to you in your loss, Wendy.

Godspeed, special sweet girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

OMG not Twiggy!!! :(:cry1 :cry1 :cry1

Wendy, I am so so so very sorry. :cry1 :cry1

she has and always will give inspiration and HOPE to all of us with hounds fighting osteo.

Rest in sweet peace, little girl :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

So sorry to hear about Twiggy. She was a hero to many osteo dogs. :grouphug

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

From Taylor's oncology group.

Too late for him, but maybe helpful to others:

There's exciting news in the ongoing fight against animal cancer and we're sharing some of the latest treatment options in an ongoing series of posts.

Soon to be released is a new canine osteosarcoma vaccine licensed for veterinary use. This vaccine is made from the bacteria Listeria monocytogenes that is genetically modified to express a tumor protein (HER-2/neu) found in many cancer cells including osteosarcoma.
The vaccine is given by intravenous injection and aims to stimulate an immune response against cells that express the tumor protein HER2/neu.
In early clinical trials of 18 dogs that had an amputation, four treatments with carboplatin and three doses of osteosarcoma vaccine had a median survival time of 956 days with 67% of patients still alive at two years. Control patients that had an amputation followed by four treatments with carboplatin had a median survival time of 423 days with 28% of patients still alive at two years.
With the introduction of immunotherapy for patients with osteosarcoma, survival times can be significantly extended.

Twiggy looks absolutely vibrant in those lovely pictures. Her face in the first photo is so full of light and life and enthusiasm.

I got the biposy results yesterday for MoMo and it is indeed osteo on the outer toe of her left rear leg. Additionally, the oncologist sent out a sample from a lymph node on the affected leg for pathology--she took a sample yesterday and looked at it herself and didn't like the look of it. I should get results today, but I'm honestly not expecting good news about that node. The oncologist said that LN involvement reduced the time we could expect to get from any kind of treatment.

I'm sad, and worried about my girl, and very uncertain about what the best course of action will be.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

There's exciting news in the ongoing fight against animal cancer and we're sharing some of the latest treatment options in an ongoing series of posts.

Soon to be released is a new canine osteosarcoma vaccine licensed for veterinary use. This vaccine is made from the bacteria Listeria monocytogenes that is genetically modified to express a tumor protein (HER-2/neu) found in many cancer cells including osteosarcoma.

The vaccine is given by intravenous injection and aims to stimulate an immune response against cells that express the tumor protein HER2/neu.

In early clinical trials of 18 dogs that had an amputation, four treatments with carboplatin and three doses of osteosarcoma vaccine had a median survival time of 956 days with 67% of patients still alive at two years. Control patients that had an amputation followed by four treatments with carboplatin had a median survival time of 423 days with 28% of patients still alive at two years.

With the introduction of immunotherapy for patients with osteosarcoma, survival times can be significantly extended.

Mark-this is the vaccine that U of Penn has been developing-we have been waiting patiently for its release. Can't come fast enough. Sadly, too late for My Stan and your Taylor and 1000's of other loving hounds :-(. Tapping fingers-we're waiting...

I'm sorry to hear about MoMo. Keeping fingers crossed for the LN sample.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you for this, I'm so sorry it comes so late for so many, it just breaks my heart.

Can you tell me more about where this info came from, please? I want to research it, Bowie goes in for xrays and ultrasound on Friday, I REALLY want to give this info to her oncologist.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

And sadly, MoMo's lymph node does have metastasis. Now the possibilities of Tramadol, Caprofen (?), Gabapentin, bisphosphonates, palliative radiation, etc. are dancing through my head.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

:(

And sadly, MoMo's lymph node does have metastasis. Now the possibilities of Tramadol, Caprofen (?), Gabapentin, bisphosphonates, palliative radiation, etc. are dancing through my head.

I'm sorry to hear about the results. I'm not familiar with osteo in the toe - would there be an option to remove the toe and continue with Chemo ?

Crap, I'm sorry. Edited by seeh2o