I can't for this thread. I will see what I can do when the next Osteo Thread begins (which may be a long time as we're only on page twelve). He might have taken it down by now as that was quite a few years ago now.

I just tried this link and it took me right to the blog:

http://pinneyandpnut.blogspot.com/p/charlies-cancer-diet.html

Thanks, greysmom! That one works!

ETA: While the one on the first page appears to be the same one, when you hover your mouse over it, the link shows up as forum.greytalk.com....

Cricket

Edited by Cricket57

Cricket, mom to Mulligan (Kycera) and Xena (Kebo Tina Turner )

It's highly likely that MoMo has joined the osteo "club". She has a surgical consult at the specialty clinic tomorrow and I'll likely get a definitive diagnosis then, but even to my untrained eye, the x-rays look awful. I can't imagine that it's not osteo. I'm worried that Mo may not manage an amputation well. The probable osteo is in her left hind leg, between outer toe and ankle. My concern is that her right rear leg has long given her problems--she's only got 3 toes on that foot and the leg shakes when she stands and bears weight on it. She certainly uses that problem leg, but I think she relies more on the osteo leg. I'm asking for thoughts and experiences on amputation for hounds when the remaining limb of the pair is somewhat compromised.

She's comfy on Tramadol at the moment and seems very much her happy, confident self.

TIA,

Lucy and MoMo Meany Pretty Pants

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Lucy, when Dude had his amp, the remaining leg was the one with only three toes and he was just fine. He didn't have any other challenges with it though. And we kept up a weekly regimen of massage and supplements to help keep his body alligned and muscles loose and working in top form. I know Deb had a sort of permanent splint made to support a leg on one of her hounds (for an entirely different reason though) that might work to help MoMo.

Unfortunately, only you can decide if that leg can withstand the stress of supporting an amp. At least it's a back leg - most of the weight is on the front two.

{{{HUGS}}} for you and MoMo!! :kiss2

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sorry to hear MoMo may be joining this club. :(

I would suggest getting input from an orthopedist if you are considering amputating that leg. If it were me, that would be enough to make me feel my dog wasn't a good candidate for amputation, but of course she's not my dog.

There are some much better palliative options these days if you do decide not to amp. Both palliative radiation (which can be done in 2 treatments) and IV Zoledronate have helped a lot of dogs. But if her bone is that moth eaten, you may want to also prepare yourself for what you will do if she breaks the leg. There has been discussion in previous threads about having heavy duty pain meds on hand, as well as a way to get the dog in the car if you might have to do it alone like a stretcher.

Sorry you're facing this. :(

MaryJane, I'm sorry you're dealing with this again as well. It never gets easier.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Has anyone here is hemp oil high in CBDs for their dogs with osteo?

I used cbd oil on my post amp (osteo) boy. Found it really helped (he had developed spine/disc issues post amp). I used canna-pet (max strength liquid).

I used cbd oil on my post amp (osteo) boy. Found it really helped (he had developed spine/disc issues post amp). I used canna-pet (max strength liquid).

Thank you, that was the first brand I tried and I as happy with it, but it's super expensive for such a tiny bottle, she needs it 2-3 times a day. At that rate that bottle was gone in about 3 weeks. I've been using Innovet (later bottle size and it has been on sale) and some CannaCompanion a friend gave me that she never used for one of her dogs.

ETA Bowie's oncologist STRONGLY urged me to get her on a max CBD oil when she started chemo. The happy side effect, thus far, she seems less freaked out by fireworks, but zero personality change and no change in every level... typical greyhound level!

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I really wish I had thought about CBD oil when I still had my spook. I often thought that she needed the world to just slow down a little for her to understand what was going on and be calm about it.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The hemp oil is so expensive I think I'm going to grow my own plants and make the oil myself. I'll have to buy it until the plants get big enough, but at least I'll know exactly what's in it and how it was made. Now I have to find hemp seeds to grow!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Adam was at Tufts today for additional x-rays of leg and chest and while the films look fine, they are going to do another one tomorrow before surgery as there is a spot that they want to reheck. They did have to sedate a bit as he was stressed and he started to go into hyper-temperature again however, they caught it at 103 and brought temperature back down to 100 within 20 minutes with cold towels.

Also waiting on blood work taken today which we should know before 5pm today. If all is good, he'll be going in tomorrow for amp.

Long day today ....

The day of my boy's surgery was the longest day ever! Until you get that call saying everything's OK it's just impossible to do anything!

All our white light and good thoughts for tomorrow! :hope:candle:hope

The day of my boy's surgery was the longest day ever! Until you get that call saying everything's OK it's just impossible to do anything!

All our white light and good thoughts for tomorrow! :hope:candle:hope

Good luck!

I went through this twice. The day is SOOOOOOO long.

Thanks .. heard back and blood work is OK (for a greyhound) - he will go in tomorrow.

Shoot!!

Probably from the blood draw. Too bad. Stay positive!

Surgery is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday however, we are seeing the surgeon on Monday and will decide whether that is possible after he looks at the leg. Adam has gotten a bit better and the swelling on his good front leg seems to be less although, it seems painful for him to use it and as a result, he is using the osteo leg more.

Bowie had chemo #4 on Friday, she was a crazy girl in the morning before we went, two sessions of bounce from bed to bed and run around like a crazy dog. Her onco gives her a shot of Cerenia at the time of chemo, then pills for 4 days post chemo. She was fine Friday night, woke up yesterday morning and tried to vomit, but didn't, so I gave her a Cerenia and it seemed to help, fed her an hour later, then had to go to work. No nausea last night and ate dinner. This morning, more nausea at 8, so I gave her a Cerenia, it seemed to help, but took longer. I gave her an extra CannaCompanion as well. Offered her breakfast an hour and a half later, she ate it up. Nauseous again shortly thereafter. I gave her a small amount of a homeopathic anti nausea, she slept for a bit, then woke up panting, so I sprayed her undercarriage down with water and put a fan on her (she LOVES that). Took her temp, it's normal. She's now on my bed sleeping, 3 hours after eating.

I'd love to read about anyone's experience with nausea post chemo. This is my first time on this path, hopefully my last, I appreciate all the knowledge here. She goes in for restaging next Friday, xrays and ultrasound. We are hoping to get 6 treatments of carbo in, so there are only 2 more to go. She needs 4 weeks between treatments to get her WBCs and neutrophils where he wants them, so next chemo is on my most hated day of the year, 7.7.17. It marks the 10th anniversary of my heart-dog ran away due to illegal fireworks. I'll suck it up for her, though. :heart