Sign in to follow this  
MattB

Did You Rehome Your Hound Because You Felt Sorry For Them?

I was reading a few posts on facebook about love at first sight on a visit to an rehoming centre but I know this isn't always the case and would love to hear about your alternate meetings and reasons for choosing a hound.

When I went to adopt a greyhound 2 years ago my first question was "Which one needs a home the most?". The volunteer we spoke to said that wasn't how we should choose; we should decide what qualities we were looking for and not worry because all the hounds would get homes eventually. So we chose a dog that was sociable, a little bit shy but still quite interested in us and fitted straight in with no problem.

I regretted that decision and went back a second time a few months later and asked if I could meet the shaking cowering hound that we'd overlooked previously who needed to be dragged from her kennel and would only walk sideways on her walk with us. She came home with us that afternoon :)

Just to avoid confusion - here in the US, re-home usually means returning the hound to the adoption group to be re-homed because he or she isn't working out for some reason. I was confused about the terminology in your post until I read it twice.

So for our US GT friends - Did you ADOPT your hound because you felt sorry for them? :bgeorge

Edited by Time4ANap

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Always missing my boy Hi Noon Rocket. The home of Petunia, MW Neptunia and Kate, Miss Kate.

I tend to adopt animals, greyhounds and otherwise, that are hard to adopt out. I usually go for older dogs, black doge, or traumatized dogs. When I adopt a cat, I always adopt the oldest cat in the shelter, or the one who has been there longest. They're not pity adoptions. I like to think of them as helping animals that might need the most help. Theyve all been the sweetest, most loving animals.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Allen the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09.

To the best of my knowledge dogs in Europe aren't kenneled at the track as in the U.S. so an adoption group would be a re-homing center
In a way my answer in Buck's case would be yes. We went to the RTW kennel at the Wichita track so I could look at a white dog named K Max Roadkill. He wouldn't give me the time of day. Donna Weeks tugged on my sleeve and said "look at this one - he's been waiting more than a year". Then we had Miz Annie bring out the three that had been waiting the longest. All were black - Redial, Winkatastar and Buck. Buck chose me.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I tend to adopt because I feel like they need me, which I guess could be because I feel sorry for them. I bought one of my frogs because her toe had gotten caught in the terrarium lid at the store and fallen off.

I adopted Daisy because she was 12, has a chronically dislocated shoulder, and ended up at the shelter as a stray. She was so pitiful in a very resigned way, like she'd been there long enough to start thinking that that was all she'd ever have. She's ended up being really good for me and teaching me important things like patience and accepting that she's just going to be who she is and I better get used to it :lol She started out almost just as pitiful but after almost 10 months with me she's a bouncy happy 12 year old puppy most of the time!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Guest DarkHorse

I wouldn't say we adopted because of feeling sorry for our pups, but most of the ones we've adopted have been the ones to linger at the adoption group. I think part of it is just that we prefer the sorts of dogs that don't tend to stand out, but part of it is that we do tend to look at the dogs that have been there for the longest.

There were 2 hounds at an adoption kennel I would have loved to have adopted. I couldn't have adopted them together because the male didn't like other dogs and the female had issues with male dogs. I also had a cat at the time and neither was cat safe. Having Magic also at the time also precluded my adopting either one. If either had been available when I lost Magic, one of them would have gone home with me. Both were at the kennel for quite some time and were ultimately adopted long before I lost Magic.

I'm not sure they would have been pity adoptions because I fell in love with both and would walk them whenever I went to the kennel.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Adopting out of pity is never a good thing, in my opinion. If you have a genuine affection for seniors, or have expertise in dealing with certain health issues, or have a particular need for a certain type or behavior, then those are reasons to adopt specific dogs. Otherwise, in my opinion, it's nearly always best to let your group guide you to a smaller group of dogs appropriate to your lifestyle to choose from, particularly for your first adoption.

We currently have three greyhounds, but we've had 8 total, in addition to two successful fosters. All of our first 5 dogs were special needs foster failures - seizure dog returned when her first owner died, returned after a month due to high energy, rescued from a track closure 15 pounds underweight, spook who escaped her first foster home for a week, rescued from starvation incident at a kennel 20 pounds underweight, senior returned due to change in owner circumstances. The sixth dog had waited in the adoption kennel for a year. The 7th was a puppy. Both fosters who left were also medical fosters. We have experience in dealing with tougher medical situations, so we often get them to foster. Once they are here, we usually fall in love and they never leave!

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

I choose dogs based on what I need/want. Everyone has a different list, so there's a home out there for every type of dog. The reason dogs get returned is generally because they're a poor fit for the home they went to.

In fact, to be absolutely accurate, I have never really freely chosen a dog. Summit was outright chosen for us by the kennel staff. I told her what I was looking for and she said I should come and see "Dexter" who was a return and fit everything I needed. We went and met him and liked him well enough. We didn't really look at any of the other dogs there. She said he was the best fit so we took him. And he was.

Kili was chosen for me by the breeder. She technically offered me another puppy as well, but Kili was her stronger recommendation. I went and met both puppies, but didn't really have a sense one way or the other (I didn't really know exactly how to choose a sport dog at that time) so I just went with her recommendation.

Kenna was the one I had the most input into choosing, but still it was a choice strongly guided by my breeder. She had initially singled out 2 puppies for me ahead of my trip to Ontario to meet them. When I got there she ended up pulling out 4 puppies for me to play with. I narrowed it down to 2 and then she said she felt like Kenna was the better choice for me (and Kenna was one of the original 2 she had thought of for me). And so Kenna it was.

And they've all worked out great.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

My house is a menagerie, and I often adopt the "hard to get rid of" pets that most people stay clear from. I have a soft spot for animals who have been waiting forever for a home, but I also know my limits and expertise, so I do adopt responsibly. Teague had no issues, I just adopted him because I liked him, but I think most of my other animals were ones that lingered longer in shelters or rescues due to various issues.

My newest pup is a feral street dog from Dominican R. who was literally cowering in fear on someone's lap at the adoption fair...nobody even looked at her. When I visited her at the foster home the first glimpse I had of her was her scrabbling and panicking on the hardwood as she flew by me into the kitchen to hide. Most people would have said "no way" but those are the animals I find the most rewarding (she is doing great btw!).

I also have a herd of rabbits who sat in the shelter forever for various reasons. They each have their own story and personality that I won't go into but they are now living happily in a herd in their own bedroom and have none of the "behaviour" issues their previous homes described.

Then there is my extremely grouchy hedgehog rescue.... :P

I live alone and my pets are my kids (and hobby) so I can do this sort of thing. If I had a family, children, etc. I would probably choose differently.

Uhm... Yes and no.

Sammi~ From the first moment I saw her pic, I knew she was mine. (so a "no" to the question)
Lynni~ We were looking for a hound for DH. My only rules were: Sammi had to accept them, she was the Queen. And they had to be okay with our sons. Other than that, the decision was all DH. Lynni glued herself to him the moment they met. (so "no" as well)

Then there is River... she is sorta a yes and no. The "Yes" was because we were allowed to have 3 hounds come up for the homecheck (we were also adopting Lynni at the homecheck, she was a given) I guess you could say we took pitty on 2 girls that were not in foster homes, that were still "stuck" at the kennels and picked them for a jailbreak/roadtrip for the day. The "No" is the fact that while she was gingerly settling down on one of The Queen's beds, The Queen herself, Sammi, picked her favorite toy out of her basket and brought it to her. We adopted her that day as well. We felt Sammi was choosing who would be here to heal me after she went to the Bridge a year later. The "Yes" is the fact we felt sorry for her being at the kennel. The "No" would be because Sammi chose her over the other grey that was with them.

When it comes to dogs I always choose the ones that I think fit a certain criteria based on my lifestyle and what I need from a dog. My criteria is not crazy: I prefer males, must be cat safe and small dog safe, ( I do not have a small dog but many people around here do, and I need a dog that will not go ballistic at the sight of a yorki) and not overly large because I live on a 3rd fl walk-up apartment and there have been times when a dog had to be carried up and down three flight of stairs, so a male at 70 lb is my maximum. I prefer younger high energy greyhounds because I am very active and like to do long walks, run, take the dogs to the beach and hike with my greyhounds while their age allows for it. Oh and since I always have two greyhounds, obviously they need to get along with each other.

With cats, I totally go for the saddest, oldest, too depressed to eat, "been at the shelter the longest" kitties. I currently share my home with two greyhounds ages 8 and 6 (adopted at 1 & 1/2 and 4) and two cats, ages 16 and 1 & 1/2. :)

My local greyhound rescue always has 60 or so hounds looking for good homes. Both times I have adopted I have asked them for their help with selection. The first time, as somebody new to greyhound adoption, I went down there on spec thinking what I wanted was probably a quiet little girl. But after we had talked me through what I had to offer the first hound they introduced me to was Doc, a large and laidback and very handsome brindle boy who had been there six months - his size had put people off. Another boy greyhound too but it was Doc who I fell in love with. It wasn't that I was sorry for him - it was because he was so beautiful and so interested in everything out there when I took him for a little walk. I could just see him settling into my home and discovering my neighbourhood.

After he died I emailed the manager of the rescue when I was ready to adopt again, reminding her of what was on offer here (quiet house on a busy street, no other pets etc etc) and asking if she could pick out a few greyhounds for me to meet. I felt less concerned about sex, colour etc than that they fit in. This time I met eight or ten hounds, and went away with a shortlist of three big black boys, wanting to sleep on my decision. The next day I felt clear in my mind that it should be Ken - the handsomest and cheekiest of the three. He had only been there a month or so and wasn't yet on their website because he'd come in with his feet in a poor state and had been undergoing treatment. One older chap I also felt very drawn to, but he was quite nervous about new people and things and I felt he would have struggled with inner city life.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Jack we didn't have much choice. We went down to the kennel, looked at him, liked him well enough, then put him back in his kennel to look at other dogs. He started barking and barking until we let him out again. He never returned in that kennel and even though we looked at other dogs, he had already made up his mind about us. We asked the kennel manager about the dogs personality, saying we needed a confident dog as it was to be our first and only pet. She pointed at him without any hesitation. So in between her saying he was the best choice for us AND him never leaving our side, we just had to leave with him!

For Charlie, it was a bit harder as I was away and went through a shortlist of things we wanted in a grey : calm, happy, submissive (Jack is dominant), preferably a girl, preferably a brindle. Of course we ended up with a white and blue male! :lol In the kennel I was immediatly drawn to him as he would lock his eyes on me and never let go. He was also very easy to walk and the only one not jumping and/or barking when I went about in the kennel. I walked him and played with him for 3 weeks during regular visits to the kennel and felt like he could fly over and be a good mate to Jack. And he has been brilliant so far. There was 2 other dogs there that I felt very strongly. A black male, but he was quite energetic and pushy, so I don't think it would have been a good fit with Jack even though he absolutely LOVED me. I couldn't walk him properly as he kept play bowing to me! The other one was a one-eyed black girl. She was very young, and although I loved her and her personality, all of Charlie's paperwork was ready for the flight :lol

So no, not out of pity, but we really went with what we needed in a dog.

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

I asked the group to pick a dog for me. Just so happened two years ago today I agreed to take home a dog who has practically turned inside out with fear, who had been shown to numerous potential adopters and passed over for nine months because his "go to" behavior was cowering.

I didn't care because I knew that could be overcome.

What can't be overcome where the things I asked for: bladder the size of texas, OK with cats, and TOTALLY FINE being alone (no SA or even a hint of it).

So while I truly felt NOTHING for the dog I put in the back of my car, I had faith in the people who selected him for me, and they were right. Two years later, I wouldn't trade one second of our time together. He is still afraid of men, and still timid in new situations, but he walks well on a leash, has NEVER had an accident, doesn't bark, howl, or whine when I am not there, and while he does occasionally growl at one of the cats, the damn cat isn't nicknamed "Da Ebil Won" and "You Little Bastard" for nothing!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I can't say that I ever adopted a dog because I felt sorry for it... With that said, I tend to be drawn to the older, black dogs which tend to be overlooked.

Our first black greyhound was Darcy. She was 6 y/o when we adopted her and had been waiting at the adoption kennel for over a year. We didn't actually pick her though. We just told our group that we wanted a dog that would get along with our first greyhound Celeste. Age, color and gender were irrelevant. They chose Darcy for us. Turns out that Celeste gets along with everyone and they could have picked any dog for us. It was all good though. I loved my old crab pot Darcy.

Our next old black greyhound was Faye Oops. We took her in as a foster after she lost her home at 10 y/o. After no one showed interest in adopting her, we decided to adopt her ourselves a few months later. Faye Oops became my first heart hound even though she was only with us for 1.5 years (passed due to osteosarcoma).

We now have two older black galgos. I tend to like the galgos built like tanks - not the cute little ones with the long tails that are bouncing all over the place. Beatrix was 7 y/o when we adopted her. We thought she was the biggest galgo we'd ever seen until we recently added Encarna to our pack. Encarna had been in a foster home for a couple of months with no interest. It was love at first sight for us.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Sportingfields

For us that would be 6 no and 1 probably. The probably was our spooky boy, he'd not let anyone near him at the adoption kennel, it was a chore to get him back inside after turn out, he'd sit in his crate & howl, ran & hid from all strangers, and was scared of the world. I guess we grew on him during all the time we spent at the kennel. After about 4 months we took him home on a trial basis to make sure he got along with our existing 2. I figured he'd never get adopted and although he could have spent the rest of his life at the adoption group, he obviously wasn't happy there. He turned into a fantastic pup and traveled with us all over the east coast. Unfortunately osteo cut his life short 3 years after we got him. Will never regret the love and time we put into him.

With our first hound, ABSOLUTELY!!! He was 10 and had been adoptable for a year. Our 4th hound, yes!

Hounds 2,3, and 5 were because we loved them.

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor

Allie: No. She chose me. I went to look at all the cat-safe brood mamas (my requirements were cat-safe and ok being an only dog). Allie took her spot at my side and refused to move. I brought her home a week later.

Davis: Kinda? Allie and I actually went to the kennel to meet another boy that our coordinator thought would work for us. But, when we got there, she said it had just dawned on her that Davis was our perfect match. As he is older (7), was a bounce, and was debarked, there was potential that he would be difficult to adopt out. The other boy we also looked at had another person interested in him. But the truth is, Allie picked Davis. And she picked good.

AMF All for One "Allie"

Color Print "Davis" (1/29/2009 - 2/24/19)

With Goldie I did. He had been returned to the group from a previous adopter. He looked like he would be the hardest to place- had bad dandruff, was flighty scaredly cat etc. But to seal the deal for some "unexplained" reason he picked me! At turnout all the hounds went out to run and play except him. He stopped; looked at me(a total stranger); and came to me and leaned against me! And this from a spooky type. Well I learned that despite that early appearance Goldie was pure gold and I had come away from there with the BEST hound they had. :beatheart I also learned later that dogs do in fact pick their people. The below is a short essay I wrote in Goldie's memory.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!Aovi9jww8DCQhgOBgAYjQKEYFb4_

Guest braun

Georges (formerly coach Crossland) waited almost 6 months. We told ourselves not to feel sorry for him and that we didn't want to pick a dog on just feeling sorry for him. We sent him back to his cage and then almost went for another dog. I asked to see Georges again and he came straight to us and leaned and that was that. He chose US. We had nothing to do with it. I am convinced he waited for us, he knew hah!! Unfortunately we couldn't take him home straight away so two weeks passed between the date he chose us and the adoption date. He was supposedly a rowdy dog, jumping etc...from the time he chose us to the adoption day we are told he was very calm and a totally different dog. He has been PERFECT so far. I can't believe he spent so long at the kennel but I am so happy he did!! I'm pretty sure we went to the same kennel as Locket...I guess they really have a knack for placing dogs :)

Loving these stories! Sorry for the confusing title - I didn't think.

I just remembered that 'Friends' episode where they debate whether there is such a thing as a selfless act! Maybe as well as feeling sorry for Daisy I wanted to be needed and the feeling of doing something good. I remember looking at her picture online and thinking how awful it must be to be scared of visitors to the kennels and wanting to take her away, I don't know why but I thought about the unconditional love I get from my own family and felt like that was all she needed.