Olewo Carrots, Beets, Oatmeal And A Dog Sitter

sarabz

We will be going away for a week and leaving our pups in the care of a terrific sitter. It's taking us quite some time to figure out what will work for Kirby so that he's not getting a ridiculous amount of food but gets enough fiber and calories. We are also trying the beets to help with his constant itchiness. Oatmeal is another great additive for him to help his stools.

So - I don't really want to leave our sitter a ridiculous list of feeding instructions. I was trying to think of any way I could make some sort of "cookie" from all that stuff so she doesn't have to be soaking the carrots/beets every day but was concernedabout heat destroying good stuff in there.

Any ideas?

(Side note - I never thought I'd be this high maintenance about my dogs. Even when I had horses they didn't get crazy blends of supplements ).

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

If you have to, I bet she'd understand what to do. A week from today, I start dog sitting the Greyhound of a friend's son and DIL here at my house, and Penny-the-Greyhound's mom gave me a detailed list of how and when Penny eats. I thought MY dog was bad! LOL If your sitter is a Greyhound person, she'll get it.

Question: What type of oatmeal do you use -- instant or have-to-cook? How much do you use? Do you actually cook it or add the flakes to the food?

I ask because Annie doesn't have the best poo, especially as the day goes on. Olewo sometimes helps, but not always. Also, she doesn't like it so I have to add a lot of water to her kibble and mix up the Olewo as best as I can.

Guest nnamdismom

I say leave the instructions! I am paying the sitter to stay at my house so my dog gets to stay in his exact routine! Plus dog people like your sitter know how dog people are about their dogs :D

Could you try making a frozen beet treat?

Or a baked treat?

* 1/4 cup canola oil * 1 cup applesauce * 1/3 cup beet puree or fresh beet juice * 1 and 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour * 2 teaspoons baking powder

Pinterest has lots of good ideas!

Freeze the oatmeal. My owelo carrots last for a week.I also freeze rice all the time. My dogs were boarded for a month I gave the very experienced person my instructions and then she went with the flow making sure felix ate his low fat neals....talk about not getting enough calories. I fell your pain.

Thanks all :) My sitter I'm sure would do anything (she actually works in my vets office) but I'd like to try to not be *that* owner and make it as easy as possible on her.

Ok, feeling dumb - the Olewo website has bars and such already made, so it's certainly an option. :blush:

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Psyllium husk powder is a great source of fibre and often recommended for humans (aka metamucil) . It is in a powder form already so no need to soak/freeze. I believe the dose is around 1/2 tsp per 10 lbs of dog and it absorbs moisture from the bowel just as well as some of the other supplements.

Also, since dogs obviously can't digest raw oatmeal well, I wonder if oatmeal flour would work better since it is already broken down (??). No experience, just an idea. You could maybe make a dry mix of powdered ingredients (grind the olewo carrot pellets up to a powder too) and ask them to soak the kibble with the powder added in warm water for a few minutes before serving.