Gentle Giants Dog Food

Walking through a Wal-Mart yesterday I spotted a dog food that I hadn't seen before, although I guess some of their stores have carried for a year or so.

Gentle Giants Dog Food was developed and is sold by Burt Ward (Robin of Batman and Robin) and his wife who run a giant breed dog rescue. Reviews on Amazon are mostly good, although the ingredient list is fairly common, I do like that the fat content is pretty low compared to other stuff we've been trying.

Has anyone tried this food, and if so, what were the results?

The packaging and their website make me dizzy if I look at them too long. :bgeorge

http://www.gentlegiantsrescue.com/gentle-giants-dog-food.htm

Amazon has a regular and a grain free version.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

The ingredients look good to me but i feed raw. I just wonder if all that good stuff is still there after being processed. Still looks better than some food i've seen!

I didn't see anything that would make me not try it. Rocket is having some more tummy issues off and on, so we have been trying to find a new food that agrees with him. So far, the only one that has worked well is Rachael Ray Grain Free Turkey and Potato. The other Rachael Ray foods, Nutro Senior, and Premium Edge all resulted in projectile Big D a few times. I'm thinking that the low fat content of Gentle Giants may be a good thing for his stomach. It's worth trying a small bag.

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

After all the bad press their "rescue" has received over the years I'd be hesitant to put any money in their pockets. Look them up on Yelp to get started. Someone on another greyhound forum was involved with them about 15 years ago and posted some pretty disturbing first hand experiences.

ETA - if you look at Yelp one poster says their food is made by Diamond and is the same formula as Diamond Naturals. I'm not in the market for new food but if you have time it might be worth checking out.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

After all the bad press their "rescue" has received over the years I'd be hesitant to put any money in their pockets. Look them up on Yelp to get started. Someone on another greyhound forum was involved with them about 15 years ago and posted some pretty disturbing first hand experiences.

ETA - if you look at Yelp one poster says their food is made by Diamond and is the same formula as Diamond Naturals. I'm not in the market for new food but if you have time it might be worth checking out

Thanks. I know nothing about them or even that they existed until I saw their food on the shelf. If it is the same as a Diamond Naturals formula that won't work anyway. We've tried those previously without success.

Guest MnMDogs

ETA - if you look at Yelp one poster says their food is made by Diamond and is the same formula as Diamond Naturals. I'm not in the market for new food but if you have time it might be worth checking out.

Yes, I was going to say the same. They don't have a very good reputation, and they seem like a dubious rescue at best.

If it's low fat you're looking for this worked well on diabetic/pancreatitis Poodle.

https://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog-formulas/dry/ultra-premium/reduced-calorie-dry-dog-formula

Thanks. Lowfat seems to be just one part of the equation and I've tried several others but not that one. There is no rhyme or reason to what works, or what stops working eventually. It may be time to think about raw. Unfortunately, this is one that the green bag can't fix.

Good to know about their reputation. I honestly had never heard of them until seeing that food on the shelf at Wal-Mart - also a sketchy company, but sometimes there is no choice but to go there.

Good to know about their reputation. I honestly had never heard of them until seeing that food on the shelf at Wal-Mart - also a sketchy company, but sometimes there is no choice but to go there.

I'm with you on the no choice but to go there. I had to make my peace with the Waltons years ago when I sold BBQ and had to go to Bentonville to get a product in there. I don't think they are sketchy as much as they are bullies. They have a HUGE amount of buying power in North America and will remind you of that at every turn as they make you grovel.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Yeah, they are no bueno.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I'm with you on the no choice but to go there. I had to make my peace with the Waltons years ago when I sold BBQ and had to go to Bentonville to get a product in there. I don't think they are sketchy as much as they are bullies. They have a HUGE amount of buying power in North America and will remind you of that at every turn as they make you grovel.

Yes - the experience of selling to them and maintaining Service Level is something else. No matter what you do, you did it wrong, even if you didn't.

I had 10 years of that with them as well as Home Depot and others. When you get that big, the vendor has to play by their rules, which they make up as they go along.

I was put off by their claims on the web site years ago and they never seemed to get dogs adopted - great pictures but, no pictures of dogs in homes other than theirs. When their web page said that you had to buy their dog food if you adopt a pet - that was a big red flag for me. I wouldn't buy anything from them.

I just looked at their web site - oh my .....

Yes, I was going to say the same. They don't have a very good reputation, and they seem like a dubious rescue at best.

Yes, Gentle Giants has a very bad reputation. Anything with their name on it would put up a huge red flag for me.

I could not, in good conscience, support anything that would benefit Gentle Giants. I can't tell you anything about the food, other than ludicrous claims that it greatly extends lifespans.

I would stay away from anything those people sell. They are not good dog rescue people. I have read nothing but bad things about them and the condition of their dogs.

Yeah, they are no bueno.

Just say no. :)

:ding

Their adoption contract states you HAVE to feed their food if you adopt a dog fromthem. I wouldn't care who makes it....I'm with Shannon....I could NOT support those "people" by purchasing anything that would benefit them. My limited experience with them told me how :youcrazy Burt and Tracy are.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Calling Gentle Giants a "dubious rescue" is quite generous. Somehow they manage to constantly have rare breeds and mixes available that are almost never available through their own breed rescues nationwide. Among the dogs they currently have available are a "Woodle Doodle" (Irish Wolfhound/Great Dane/Poodle) and a Tibetan Mastiff/Great Pyrenees mix. You do the math...

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Calling Gentle Giants a "dubious rescue" is quite generous. Somehow they manage to constantly have rare breeds and mixes available that are almost never available through their own breed rescues nationwide. Among the dogs they currently have available are a "Woodle Doodle" (Irish Wolfhound/Great Dane/Poodle) and a Tibetan Mastiff/Great Pyrenees mix. You do the math...

They usually have puppies as well. AKA puppy mill

Guest MnMDogs

I agree, I should have just called them a sham. Definitely in it for the money, and nothing more.

They also have known ties with an extremely disreputable sighthound breeder who specializes in Greyhounds, Borzoi, livestock guardian dogs, and livestock. Thankfully she's been run out of my other breed but she did have a pair of them, along with Salukis, at one point. :(