Pool Time!

Guest RockRoos

Guest RockRoos

Hey everyone,

This summer has been so hot! And while I've been very careful to take Rock out only during the mornings when it's cool and late evenings, I'd feel better if he had something he can enjoy to moderate his temperature - he sleeps in our basement which is naturally more cool than the rest of the house, and that's fine.

I bought him a little plastic wading pool, but he will only go near it to try and drink from it. I think he might be afraid of/dislike the water. I'm fairly sure that if I get him used to it (kind of the way I had to teach him about the dog door) he'd enjoy it, but I'm concerned that trying to coerce him too forcefully might be detrimental. I've tried standing in the pool with treats, but he just leans forward to try and get the treats without actually stepping into the water.

Should I just let it go? Is it worth trying further coercement? Suggestions definitely welcome, thank you!

Bellla LOVES her baby pool! I wonder if Rock could learn to get in his pool and enjoy it if he was with another greyhound that did. Is there a greyhound playgroup in your area that you could take him to so he could play and cool off in pools with other greyhounds? It's funny how they copy behavior of other dogs. Maybe that will help. Good luck!

Lisa & Chris with Bella and Little Petey

~Our sweet Ian forever in our hearts~

I had a dog who would take over a pool at greyhound gatherings, but not stick a toe in the one I put in his own back yard. :dunno

Try putting the treats right IN the water -- bobbing for weinie slices?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest nnamdismom

Give it time, he will go in! I have not met a grey that does not LOVE water! He has probably never seen water before that he is allowed to step in like a pool. Nnamdi drank out of it forever, and I would go just stand in it when he was near, even crouch down and put my hands in, so he knew it was for stepping in. What truly helped was having another dog I trusted around that I knew loved the pool. Nnamdi went right in once he saw the other dog in! He was like "hey, that's my pool!" Since he has been splashing, kicking the water out, he even laid down in it ONE time which I was quick to snap a photo of!

If you act too excited, or have too much anticipation about him going in, he will feel that and maybe interpret it as "oh, maybe this is not good for me....". Dogs really can't distinguish between nervousness and anticipation I am learning. I would step in, step out, walk away, make like its no big deal! These velcro dogs won't let you keep doing something alone for long! When he does go in, naturally praise like crazy!

Does he like ice cubes? I know some people say don't give your dog ice cubes but Nnamdi is obsessed when he is panting. If I put a cube in anything he is right in there to get it.

I would keep filling it up and just wait and see! Some dogs take more time than others to feel comfortable with new things.

Active racers are frequently given whirlpool treatments, and the idea that a greyhound has never seen water that he could step in is...well, highly unlikely. Given that most of them are raised outdoors in huge runs, they are often playing in buckets and kiddie pools.

My George was a greyhound who didn't like water. Would not go in a pond or a pool.

Buck, on the other hand, who is afraid of things like flags and rocks jumps right in and lays down when we go to our greyhound play dates!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

This is Rachel Houge's blog about the dogs at the track. Rachel was a trainer and track photographer and was an active member of GT for quite a while. This link is at the bottom of her posts and you will see the dogs are put in a tank of water to cool down during warm or hot weather.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dazzleme/sets/72157627145032411/with/5970627752/

• 2 weeks later...

My Diana wouldn't go near water. Wouldn't get in a kiddie pool, wouldn't wade in the very shallow, slow moving creek. No way - no how. Diana was a very outgoing "do anything" kind of dog. No fears, no shyness, no phobias. But no water. No thanks.