Sophie (Finleysmonica) 5 January 2005 To 14 August 2016

Hawthorn

It is with the heaviest of hearts that I write this. I can hardly believe it, but just three weeks after saying goodbye to her litter brother Sunny, we have had to say goodbye to Sophie too.

Sophie was hit very hard by Sunny's departure, and I suspect that her grief hastened her end. She had been dealing with a number of chronic health conditions for a while but we hoped she would be with us for some time to come. However, she declined rapidly after Sunny's transition, and with no reasonable expectation of recovery or improvement we could not allow her to continue suffering so we did the kindest thing we knew and let her go peacefully at home surrounded by love. We believe that she had a form of cancer which had spread to her lungs.

This is the first picture I ever saw of Sophie on the rehoming centre's website. There was something about this picture that spoke to me, so I looked her up on Greyhound Data and was astonished to find that she was litter sister to Sunny, who we had adopted three months earlier. I pointed this out to my husband but he said it was too early to adopt another just yet. Next morning, I got a phone call from the rehoming centre to let me know that she was Sunny's sister and to ask if we wanted her. I said we would go and see her, but my heart knew she was already mine, and so it was.

Sunnys%20sister%20Monica.jpg

Sophie and I had a very special and close bond. We had very similar personalities, both highly sensitive with a dislike of crowds and noise, so we understood each other very well. Sophie was always with me, and quite often snuggled up to me, or lying on top of me. Sophie was happiest at home and did not generally like strangers, but she was the sweetest, funniest, snuggliest girl with those she trusted, and very perceptive. On two occasions she possibly save our lives, once from an undetected gas leak, and once by alerting us to a fire in our garage.

1002080016.jpg

I always felt like I had hit the jackpot with Sophie. She was beautiful, sweet, clever, snuggly, she roached, chattered and purred. I actually caught her chattering on camera once when she was waiting for a treat:

1011030024.jpg

I have so many beautiful pictures of Sophie that it's hard to choose but here are some of my favourites.

On our favourite walk in the hills, resting amongst the wild flowers:

2014-07-11_2090.jpg

Looking very cute whilst waiting for a treat:

0808130113.jpg

How I will miss that face and those beautiful eyes:

Dscf5691.jpg

This is a special memory for me. Sunny was out of action, so I took Sophie to the hills on her own. As it was too warm to walk, we just sat in the shade together. Sophie was content just to lie there for a long time taking in the view and just being together:

Dscf6202.jpg

I always intended to do this with her again, but life got in the way and I never did:

Dscf6213.jpg

She didn't like me taking close ups of her head, but I sneaked this one:

Dscf6199.jpg

Rest in peace, my sweet, beautiful girl. Thank you so much for all of your love and trust. I don't know what I'm going to do without you.

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy the loss of one creature makes a void so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of eternity can fill it up!"~ Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

0906160004d.jpg

We will always love you and miss you.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I am so so sorry for your loss. I wish I had words of comfort because I know how hard it is lose 2 close together, especially when you have a special bond. I think the quote in your signature says it all.

Once again, my thoughts are with you. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

... we just sat in the shade together. And made this beautiful memory to hold close in your heart, where Sophie and Sonny will always be. :heart

Dscf6202.jpg

I understand losing two so close together, and my heart goes out to you. I love the first photo of Sophie, the one that called out to you. How could it not? Special littermates reunited is the best. I am so terribly sorry for your losses. You are in my thoughts. :grouphug.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, special girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry to see your loss of Sophie. :f_white

"And can it be that in a world so full and busy the loss of one creature makes a void so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of eternity can fill it up!"~ Charles Dickens (1812-1870)

When you have a bond as strong as you had with Sophie the heartbreak is deep. Your beautiful words describe the close relationship of two kindred spirits who shared many sweet moments in your life together. Sophie was a truly special girl.

Rest well sweet girl - run and play with Sunny.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

My heart is breaking for you. You are probably right-she probably had to leave to go be with Sunny. I went through this with Bobber and her mother Seabird. And I just remember reading on here of similar with Maverick and Goose. We all know how deeply our hounds love and bond. Sonny & Sophie will be with you always too. Love conquers all-even death.

:f_red:f_pink:f_red

"For love is as strong as death....
Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it.
If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house, it would be utterly despised."

-Song of Solomon 8:6-7

"Some animals...leave a trail of glory behind them.
They give their spirit to the place where they have lived,
and remain forever a part of the rocks and streams and the wind and sky."

- Marguerite Henry

That last photo.... :heart I'm sorry for your losses. :cry1

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

:ohno

So very sorry for the loss of Sophie.

Gone from your side, but never absent from your heart .....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

How sad that you've had up say goodbye to beautiful Sophie. She lead a beautiful life with you. Such a lucky girl....

Godspeed, Sophie.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I am so very, very sorry :( :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway