Another Epsom Salt Soak Question

So the soaks were working really well for Zuri. Between that, the antibiotics, and some fancy new bandaging magic on my part by Tuesday night things were looking really good. The sore was dried out and all signs of infection were gone. So yesterday I did not do soaks thinking it would be bad to wet the dry sore and for whatever reason - bandage slid and nail rubbed or Zuri licked through sock - we had an oozy sore again by last night. :riphair

So I did another soak tonight and he's now passed out so the toe is getting some air. So my question is, if by tomorrow morning the sore looks good and dried out again should I still do soaks for a bit longer? It's no simple process to soak the foot, then let it stay unbandaged for a good length of time to really dry out, then apply ointment and let that dry before bandaging without him licking, but I will work from home to make it happen if I have to. My bigger concern is whether it's counterproductive to soak a wound that has just dried out, at least on the surface?

We need this to be done with! :riphair

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

i personally would give it a soak, let it dry and try to ignore it---HAHA...none of that can do that.

it's a friction rub, those suck. felix can't wear any bandages, even when i line them w/ rolled cotton used for cast. he pulls the cotton out and then the edges of the vet wrap(which he chews on) rubs his skin raw. annie can leave the bandages alone, no rubbing there.

soak and go to bed, don't listen to him lick it all night....good luck!!!!

epsom's salts are the best!

We'll be good through the night. Its what to do tomorrow when I expect/hope it will look good again, but will just be the beginning stages of healing over that would be very easily rubbed open again. Soak and let dry again, or just leave alone?

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

soak, dry, ignore if possible

repeat soaking 3xs a day, it should look good again very soon. i am always so amazed at how quickly sores heal with out our intervention.

if there is no improvement in 3 or 4 days, then you know where to go. i wonder if his autoimmune system is off due to his current therapies. good luck, be patient.

Thanks.

I have no doubt his immune system is overtaxed for some reason related to his cancer and that's where we got the infection from, but I think now it's just because he won't leave it the f alone! :lol

At least the infection has cleared up. That was giving me nightmares about some weird strain of AB resistant bacteria that would spread to his bloodstream and kill him. :P