Aiden's Toe, More Surgery

Aiden had surgery in April on a toe on his right front foot, pre- and post-proc pics are here. The toe was healing and early on we decided to leave the sutures in place just in case. Unbelievably, the toe has opened and we are facing another surgery

Post-surg%20blowout%202_zpsr7j96zwp.jpg

We had done xrays of the foot and couldn't appreciate any infection of the bone but I am going to have them do another set of films to see if there is any change in that regard. Recently on the big foot pad I've noticed some discoloration that is directly in line with that lateral toe. I really don't want to take the toe but this issue has been ongoing and I'm wondering if that would be the better route. I do think there is more going on. Thoughts appreciated.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Poor Aiden and poor you! Hope it's not serious.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Poor Aiden and poor you! Hope it's not serious.

Thanks Kyle!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Poor Aiden! I think it can be a struggle to get toes to heal because they are so boney (especially greyhound toes!) and so mobile. Maybe a manuka honey dressing would help, I know it did for Doc though that was a rather different issue (lump on the inside of a back toe). The manuka is very good for encouraging granulation.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I hate to say it but I don't think surgery is going to fix it. That looks EXACTLY like Slim's toe injuries did. He had it just like that on both front feet multiple toes. We could not amputate because there were so many toes involved. So we just had to manage it as best we could. Wearing Therapaws helped a lot but periodically the toes would tear open again. And I also put Tuff-Foot all over his feet almost every night and that helped too. We never sutured them. Just dressed and bandaged until well. Yes- you could see clear down to the bone when he would tear them open. Board certified vet told me that the ligaments/connective tissue had "shriveled up" and gone away and that there really wasn't anything holding the toe on but the skin and that there wasn't anything that could be done about it. I have heard of 1 or 2 other greyhounds experience this type of thing. Its certainly not common but it does happen. Good luck. I know how frustrating it is.

No advice, just good wishes for poor Aiden.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Thank you all for your support, suggestions, and good wishes. We had tried Manuka honey during one of the earliest insults and it helped to a degree but not totally. Something is going on. Thank you for keeping my good boy in your thoughts, and we will update when we know more.

have you tried extended crate rest and minimal leash walking? tis the season, way to hot for crazy running. it looks like some of the gross slices that i have dealt with having crazy felix. he has torn and ripped his toes, pasterns, stop pads off. the last big injury was no blood- but the way he ran/jumped/landed he injured the tendon/ligament in his outer toe, the same one as aiden has. it's now spread apart from the other knuckled toes and partially flat. that took a good 5 weeks of rest to heal, metacam and lots of limping. he also managed to rip out a couple of good chunks of pad as well - all playing with the kids at sara lawrence college.

Edited by cleptogrey

Just dropped off Aiden :goodluck Thanks again everyone.

I'm so sorry Aiden's toe is still causing troubles and I hope this next surgery will provide healing.

I well remember the long struggle to get Mo's toe healed when we started fighting her first corn--different, of course, than Aiden's issues, but the same long tedious worrisome process.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

hoping for the best for Aiden :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so sorry Aiden's toe is still causing troubles and I hope this next surgery will provide healing.

I well remember the long struggle to get Mo's toe healed when we started fighting her first corn--different, of course, than Aiden's issues, but the same long tedious worrisome process.

:grouphug Bea is my corn dog, I feel your pain there too. Thank you for your post.

Aiden is home. Still loopy but managing ok and he's had a sip of water and a tiny snack. For now, he is stitched up and doing a course of Baytril. Today won't be the end of this story. Thanks again for all the good wishes, they really do help.

Hope Aiden heals soon.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

I'm too late chiming in, but have you tried EMT Gel at any point? I'm thinking that could be a good option if it opens again if there is no infection.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Aiden has bounced back really well from this round. In spite of my earlier concerns I am hopeful that this second surgery may have the lasting effect we are hoping for. Thank you all for the good wishes and prayers (and adult bevs!), your support means volumes. Will keep you posted!