Suddenly Withdraw

Guest Magzy68

Guest Magzy68

We've had our greyhound for a little over a year now. She's always loved getting pet and being in the same room as us. About a week ago she started withdrawing away from us. She doesn't seem to want to get pet and will actually get up off the couch and move to another couch or go upstairs to her bed if we do. It's just odd behavior for her. She usually shows us her belly or paws at us for more when she gets pet. The only thing I can think of is we gave her a bath last week. We could tell she wasn't a fan of the bath but didn't fight us at all. She seemed pretty normal, but the next day my husband was petting her belly like he always does and she whimpered and ran away as if she was hurt. When we went to go check on her she shied away from him. He wasn't petting rough either. That same day, my parents came to let the dogs out for us and the same thing happened to my dad. He also wasn't petting hard. She is also very comfortable with both of my parents. So I checked her belly area and don't see any signs of injury. She was hesitant to let me touch, but I lightly pressed all around her belly and legs and she didn't whimper. Since then, it has been about 5 days and she hasn't showed any signs of pain or whimpered, she just doesn't seem happy with us. She is still a complete goof ball and nut when it comes to feeding times and gets excited to see us when we come home. She's even run around the backyard with our other greyhound. She's eating normal and everything. It's just really weird how withdrawn she seems. She spends a lot more time upstairs on her bed away from us and when I go upstairs to pet her she will "let" me but I do it cautiously because I can tell she doesn't really want me. Any ideas about this behavior? Originally I thought maybe she was holding a grudge over the bath, but since it's been a week, I'm not really sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

I was thinking vet too. It could be as simple as she's just feeling out of it, or it could be that she's feeling bad. Either way, it'll help your peace of mind if you get it checked out! And if there's nothing medical going on, you can start to focus on what might have happened to make her nervous and how you can help her overcome it!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!