Bone Changes On X-Ray, Opinion, Osteo

Guest MnMDogs

Guest MnMDogs

For those of you who have had osteo scares (or diagnoses) have any local radiologist reads been correct over Dr. Couto's?

Local vet sees no abnormalities, Dr. Couto sees possible changes in bone, and recommends another X-ray. Any experiences would be welcome.

I'm not looking for reassurance, we're resigned, but wondering if anyone has had this happen.

Thanks.

If Dr Couto is asking for more rads then, he sees something questionable and to be honest I would shoot some more rads. Can he be wrong??--of course but, you would need more rads to confirm that. He may be asking for a different view or sometimes they need to cone down the view to "zoom" in on the lesion.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest MnMDogs

We're going to do more. I really absolutely don't want to because ever since Macy's initial fibrosarcoma diagnosis, she's been an absolute mess going to the vet, and it's pretty awful to again put her through this.

I don't think he's wrong, but in the back of my head I remind myself he was wrong about Greg, so it could be possible. But that was just a bizarre situation.

Edited by MnMDogs

I would go with with what Dr. Couto wants. My vet did two sets of rads and I also had an MRI done. Saw no problems. Dr. Couto saw problems. He consulted me within 2 hours and he was out of the county on a speaking tour. I am a member and he consulted for 1/2 price. I hope it all turns out good for your hound.

Guest MnMDogs

I would go with with what Dr. Couto wants. My vet did two sets of rads and I also had an MRI done. Saw no problems. Dr. Couto saw problems. He consulted me within 2 hours and he was out of the county on a speaking tour. I am a member and he consulted for 1/2 price. I hope it all turns out good for your hound.

I just dread bringing her back in :(. But you're right, and we need to confirm, because if he's right, we need to have a plan I don't want her to be in pain, and suffer.

So here's the thing ... if Dr Cuoto sees something and he's right, Macy will have a protocol that supports comfort sooner and longer. If your vet is willing to start some of those protocols NOW to see if they help the symptoms (and you're supportive of a palliative care program), then that may be a nice compromise that offers you the best of both worlds. However, if you're exploring other options, then the xrays are really needed and I'd be asking my local vet for options to keep Macy's stress level more comfortable during trips to/from the vet.

I'm so sorry you're having to explore these decisions, but know that we're here for you in whatever way we can be.

Yes and no. Dr Couto has in both cases confidently confirmed the dx for Neyla and Zuri, but he also saw bony changes in Zuri's right leg that he thought were cancer, which led me down this whole path or other cancers that could appear as bony lesions in multiple places (which is really rare). Partially for that reason I proceeded with the CT scan for Zuri and it showed no issue with the right shoulder (but very clearly showed the cancer in the left).

My question for you is, if it is cancer what options would you consider because of the vet issues. If you wouldn't pursue them because they require vets visits - things like radiation, Zoledronate, even amp - then there may be no point. You just treat for pain with oral meds as needed and live life to the fullest. If you need to know or would consider those treatments, do the x-rays or better yet get a CT and ask the vet for an anxiety med to administer in advance that will work with any sedatives they might need. Some vets use Xanax or Valium as a pre med so those might be safe options.

Really hoping your vet is right in this case.

Oh, other option before you proceed, have your vet have a radiologist review the images.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yes and no. Dr Couto has in both cases confidently confirmed the dx for Neyla and Zuri, but he also saw bony changes in Zuri's right leg that he thought were cancer, which led me down this whole path or other cancers that could appear as bony lesions in multiple places (which is really rare). Partially for that reason I proceeded with the CT scan for Zuri and it showed no issue with the right shoulder (but very clearly showed the cancer in the left).

My question for you is, if it is cancer what options would you consider because of the vet issues. If you wouldn't pursue them because they require vets visits - things like radiation, Zoledronate, even amp - then there may be no point. You just treat for pain with oral meds as needed and live life to the fullest. If you need to know or would consider those treatments, do the x-rays or better yet get a CT and ask the vet for an anxiety med to administer in advance that will work with any sedatives they might need. Some vets use Xanax or Valium as a pre med so those might be safe options.

Really hoping your vet is right in this case.

Oh, other option before you proceed, have your vet have a radiologist review the images.

Yup.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest MnMDogs

Thanks all for your responses, and Jen, thank you for putting into words what has been swirling around my head. We wouldn't consider any care that requires vet visits. When I got her home Monday, I told myself that would be her last vet visit, so to hear we likely needed another X-ray was pretty depressing.

We just plan to manage her pain with what we can do at home. we'll need to take a look at her pain management I guess. Right now she gets

100 mg tramadol X 3

300 mg gabapentin X 3

375 mg robaxin X 3 - we added this before the dx since she was having some muscle spasms. Probably from being so stressed out at vet.

Rimadyl 75mg breakfast and dinner

I guess we can revisit this, but she's really doing well. She has issues with her left hip, and she has since we adopted her, so it wasn't easy to try to pinpoint the issue, especially since we haven't been able to get any pain response with a physical exam.

Good thoughts for your girl.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

If it were me, since x-rays are not a huge expense, if Dr. C asked for more, I would get more.

Cause I would want to know for sure one way or another, although if it happens to my dog, I plan to end his pain as soon as possible -- but that's just ME. Having spent the better part of my adult life with chronic pain, if I had the option to drift off to sleep in the arms of someone who loved me versus being medicated just so I could bear it, you better believe I would chose the former.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck